Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-21-2024, 07:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Slide out stuck out 2003 Journey DL 36GB

We have our slide outs stuck out in our pole barn and cannot pull the motor home out to plug into 50amp plug in, it's currently plugged into 20amp. We didn't fully extended slide before retracting.
2003 Journey DL both slides stuck out
Old 04-21-2024, 11:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I may be missing something so correct me if I'm way off?
I see hydraulic slideouts when looking at parts. I think of those as being 12VDC operating off the RV engine. If that is correct, I'm not seeing the need for 110 AC power??
I would expect the hydraulics to be run off 12VDC and starting the engine would give you the good power to move the jacks. Assuming there is a typo and you meant a 36GD?
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../03Journey.pdf
Down about 2-21 is where the slide operation starts.

I think it may be a case of missing the right process to do the slides as there are different types and they can each have different ways that it needs to be done.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 11:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Morich you're right. HWH says either the drive engine must be running or plugged into shore power. The pump motor requires about 13VDC to operate properly.
HWH also states to never reverse direction of the slide room midway, it messes up the sync cylinder.

reference: https://server51.hwhcorp.com/?page_id=56762
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 07:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Well,
We have an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the HWH 625 Computer Controlled Automatic Leveling System and based on what HWH states concerning the operation of the automatic side of leveling, it DOES NOT want the engine to be running but instead, wants the key to be in ACC position. Now, according to the line below, which is taken from the link above, it kind of correlates with what I'm saying:

With a few exceptions the engine does not have to be on to level or run the slide-out.

Now, some of what our operating procedures might pertain to diesel/air suspended coaches which, must be deflated prior to leveling. And if I recall, HWH states for our type system, it is better to NOT have the engine running when leveling primarily because the ride height sensors get confused when you're bleeding the air out of the system in prep for leveling with the jacks.

On a gas coach, of course you don't have that preliminary step of bleeding the air bags because there aren't any. And yes, HWH DOES NOT recommend reversing a slide direction in the middle of travel. It can be done and I have done it a few times with no consequences but it is not recommended.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 10:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Have you checked your Hydraulic fluid level, we had trouble with retracting the leveling jacks on our 2008 Meridian and the hydraulic reservoir was low, filling was tricky as it's under the coach but resolved the issues, maybe related to the slides as well.

Good luck

David.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I guess the final thing to try might be to check the manual?
If all else fails, check the book for how to move the slides manually?
It's way too much for us to try to pass along in a post but seems clear enough if a person had to use it? I've never had to go that route, so no real idea if it works or not.
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	188844
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide out, journey, slide