Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Heater Core Replacement from inside??

We need to replace our leaky heater core. Refuse to pay someone 1200.00 to do it as there are instructions on IRV2 to do it ourselves.

Was told by a Mobile RV Service Tech this can be done a lot easier from the inside of the coach.

No mention of that on IRV2 and I always put more faith in you guys than any Tech.

Anybody have any experience/advice on the concept?

Seams like it would be easier than removing the front cap.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I've done mine and if your's is set up the same, I don't see how you could do it from the inside. An email to Bryan Funke at Winnebago will get that question answered....

[email protected]

If you check the pics of my job, it does look intimidating but it wasn't too bad. Certainly worth the effort to save the high cost of paying someone else to do it.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Having been there and done that, I cannot see how you could do it from the inside. I did mine on my last coach without removing the front cab. It was not easy but well worth the cost of paying someone. I would be curious as to Bryan's comments. Please let us know. Good luck.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

How was it done without removing the front cap? That looks to be VERY hard.

Sent an email to Byran today so should hear something this week.

Of course we will share all information we receive on this topic. To me that is the power of IRV2.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Here is the reply received from Bryan today.

As we suspected will need to remove the front cap. So much for Mobile RV Techs....

Steve,

The heater core cannot be accessed from inside the vehicle. You will need to replace it from outside the vehicle. More than likely, the front shroud will need to be removed. In those instances where enough space is available, you can remove the entire casing and drop it out the bottom. However, most technicians will prefer to remove the front nose for ease in performing the heater core replacement.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

Bryan Funke
Service Administration Lead
Winnebago Industries
Old 08-24-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

First, thanks for posting Bryan's reply. As always, he is a wealth of accurate information and always very helpful. To answer your question on how to remove the heater core without removing the nose: I believe you will find my original post by doing a search. To answer your question, this was on a 99 Winny DP Adventurer so it may not apply to your coach as the dynamics may be different but you can look and see. Remove the hoses to the heater core and the wires. If I remember right, the box that houses the heater core was held in place by clips. Be careful when you remove them as they love to fly off and get lost. Once the clips are off the front cover can be removed as Bryan said through the bottom or in my case out the front hood. It takes some patience but it worked. Now, the core itself is a bear to get out of the box and out of the front. You might be able to get through the bottom easier but we could not. It helps to have a helper. We removed a few other components of which I cannot remember right now but no big deal to give us more room in the front of the core.
After I had the old rebuilt to a much better specification (I did not want to do this again) getting the new in required patience, patience and more patience and a few beverages. I tried to place those darn clips back in their position but ended up using electrical ties to secure the front of the box to the back of the box after replacing the core. It worked much better and much easier. Those clips are a pain in the backside. They kept flying off. If you decide to use the ties, you will have to drill very small holes through the front and back rim of the plastic box that houses the core to make them work. No big deal and you will thank yourself. Total time was about 9 hours with a helper and 2 six packs and neither one of us drank beer before this job. Good luck
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I inspected mine thoroughly, and there is just no way to do this on the 2002 Journey without dropping the front cap, IMO. It is not that hard to do....just time consuming removing all the screws and disconnecting the windshield wiper arms, etc. I did not completely remove the cap but was able to loosen the bottom bolts and it hinges forward. I removed the generator access and propped the cap in a 45 degree position using a 4 ft. step ladder.

The clips are a pain. They do fly everywhere when removed. I painted them all bright orange to help find them. If you order a new core from SCS Fridgette, they will send you additional clips if you ask for them.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I just replaced my heater core a month back. BattChief posted step by step instructions that were perfect. The job seems difficult but by following his instructions it went smooth. Do a search on heater core replacement and you will get all the information you'll need.

Charlie Tuit
2002 Journey
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Did the heater core replacement today. Started about 8:00am, did not work real fast, and was completely done and cleaned up by noon.

Following the instructions, notes, and advice on IRV2 we had everything needed on hand and a real feel for what needed to be done.

We only loosened the four bolts on the frame to cap attachment and tilted the cap. This created enough room to work the clips and replace the core. We were prepared to have inserting the new core be a problem. It was not a problem at all. Thought we must be doing something wrong. Tested everything before reassembly. No leaks and hot air out the heater. Yeh! All the holes lined when putting it back together. Yeh Yeh!!

This is not how things usually go for me, but I'll take it.

Thanks to all of you who posted advice, directions, and encouragement. I don't think I could have done without your help.