Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2005, 05:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Anybody got an easy way to get a couple of wires throught the fire wall of an Adventurer? I installed a set of Hadley air horns today and need to get the on/off switch wire into the cockpit. Man it looks like they really sealed up the all the acesses I can find. I figured somebody has found the secet hole. Thanks in advance.

Ol'Joe
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Anybody got an easy way to get a couple of wires throught the fire wall of an Adventurer? I installed a set of Hadley air horns today and need to get the on/off switch wire into the cockpit. Man it looks like they really sealed up the all the acesses I can find. I figured somebody has found the secet hole. Thanks in advance.

Ol'Joe
Old 08-24-2005, 08:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I'm afraid I don't know the secret sweet spot to run your wires, but am very interested in what type of installation issues you ran into since I plan on doing the same in the future. Any tricks I need to remember?

Thanks

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:29 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Joe, the only advice I can give is to examine all the rubber grommets aound wires/bundles that are currently going through the firewall. Select the "loosest" one, and try pulling it out, insert your wires, & reinstall. That's what the dealers do (or should do, LOL). Sometimes those rubber grommets can be a PIA to get back into place, that's why I look for the loosest one first.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I went in at the steering column when I installed my US Gear tow brake and put my wires behind the steering column going up to the dash.

'04 Itasca Suncruiser 38G, W22 Upgrade Kit, Henderson Trac Bar, Davis TruTrac, Steer Safe
Hamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I ran my ignition safety wire for my Onan EC30 up where the transmission selector cable goes thru right in front of the steering column.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:40 AM   #7

I don't have my rig here right now, but I vaguely recall that you can route wires up through to the interior via the Relay Box on the left front firewall.
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Check down where the steering column passes through the firewall. Mine has a soft glob of some type of foam product, the factory used to seal around the column and wires they ran into the dash area. I ran my switch wires in at that point. It is relatively easy to push a screw driver or round pointed instrument through this stuff. It seams to reseal itself.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:57 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

On my 2003 Suncruiser I ran LOTS of stuff through it, wires, antenna cables for Tire Sentry, etc, etc.

I found the best place was to lift up the hinged dash assembly. Then if you drill a hole (or more, depending on how much "stuff" you need to run) vertically down into the center console area near the backup monitor you can easily fish the wires through, and if you remove the doghouse you can reach right around and pull them through. From there it's easy to use the cross channel over the engine to get to either side of the coach and then down to the frame rails. Be sure to drill a large enough hole so that you can install a standard electrical box connector, like a Romex clamp or cord grip. That way the wiring is supported and can't chafe against the sheet metal and short out. You can also give it a squeeze of silicone caulking to seal it up if necessary.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 05:23 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
My F-53 had a grommet in the floor, next to the steering column, and another gromet on the firewall, in front of the steering column. Just cut a hole in one of the grommets and feed the wire through.

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 05:30 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hey All,

Thanks for the input. I'm try 'em out later today. For info my adventurer is a '05 38r. The dash panel does not flip up on this model. That has cuased some minor problems when dealing with other Adv. owners.
For Chris; install was pretty straight forward. They're Hadely bully under hood horns model 964H. I mounted the 3 primary parts, Horns, Air compressor and Air tank on the main cross member just in front of the radiator. Bring sharp dill bits. The horns are on the right side, air compressor in the middle (between the fans) and the tank on the left. It's funny that I sat and stared at the front end for awhile then went ahead and did the install. After i checked this forum and found that DriVer had done vitually the same install on his 37g (I think). Now he did not specificlly say where he got power from or how he got into the cockpit but I'll ask him if he makes to the chat session tonight. Run a search for "Hadley" on the forum and you'll get his post.
I had to have something besides this whimpy, light loaded OEM horn. It's embarressing to have this beautiful monster and a little rubber ducky squeaker of a horn.

Ol'Joe
Old 08-25-2005, 08:10 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info Ol' Joe.

I'm hoping to put a set on the roof so my install would be a little more complicated. It doesn't make it any louder but I love the look of it that way. The wife says it is a macho thing I have going! You are right, the OE horns are sure mighty wimpy, I've heard VW Bugs with more horn than I've got now.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote