Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2004, 07:21 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AFChap: I buy from the dealer who gives me the best deal, and I buy my service from the dealer who gives me the best service. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said! Here Here! Bravo!
Old 06-25-2004, 07:25 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by raspears:
Can anybody provide any evidence that there is a $2,000 budget limit per coach, or is that a rumor? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aha! No, and last I heard it was $1,600.00 per unit. I'd really like to know the answer to this question. Would you mind calling your local dealer and asking that question? I'm curious to know what they will say. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2004, 08:02 AM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

This subject came up this week on the rv.net forum. Only it had to do with Fleetwood dealers in the new jersey area. I suspect that the dealers get tired of hearing about Lazy Days in Tampa or Bretz in Missoula beating them up oninternet pricing. Local service was a issue when negotiating our deal. But I believe that you need to have a toolbox handy when buying one of these rigs and save the service calls for the complicated jobs.
mrwacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 05:43 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

No Winnebago does not hand over a cheque for each unit sold to cover warranty work. And in most cases they pay the dealers posted service rate (in some cases as high as $90/hr). So warranty claims are paid on an as needed basis, not up front. And if a dealer has to spend all the money that is required to run a service area, should they not give priority to their valued customers, so that they stay happy and become repeat customers who refer their friends?
I agree that completely turning away warranty work is not easy to accept, and is not something that I would condone, but a dealer has a responsability to THEIR customer, and that customer should always come first.
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 07:36 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Quote from forest; "...I agree that completely turning away warranty work is not easy to accept, and is not something that I would condone, but a dealer has a responsability to THEIR customer, and that customer should always come first."

True, but IMHO a Winnebago owner should be considered one of "THEIR" customers, merely because he owns a Winnebago. Many of our problems will happen out of town, away from the dealer we bought it from. We need to count on Warranty work from Winnebago no matter where we're at. If I was Winnebago, I wouldn't tolerate turning away warranty work from any dealer. This places a black mark on Winnebago as a company.
Laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 04:19 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

I agree that in the case of transient warranty repairs, a dealer should make an attempt to help out someone who is stuck out of their own dealers area. But when a dealer who is undercutting prices from half the way across the country does not have to supply the purchaser with a quality service dept., why should a dealer who lost that sale have to supply facilities to keep somone elses customer happy.
My .02 cents, any change?
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 04:28 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

That's interesting Forest (the $2000 payment deal). I was told by two different salesmen, both almost unprompted.

Sounds like you may have some inside info. I'm just a customer repeating what I was told. There's either more to the story, or I was lied to. Can you elaborate on how you know it's not true? ("No" being an exceptable answer, please don't feel prodded.)

Thanks,
Tim

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 08:45 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

QUOTE from forest "...why should a dealer who lost that sale have to supply facilities to keep somone elses customer happy.

Because IMHO it's not "somone elses" customer. It's his customer because the guy owns a Winnebago, and the dealer sells them. And, the dealer will get the revenue from the repair so why should he care? I think your philsophy could induce a bottle neck for service because we're all supposed to go back to our dealer. Spreading the wealth freely will open up the door for convenient service and make everybody happy. This will also stimulate competition in sales and service. If I was Winnebago, I would forbid selective service and would not have dealers who practice it. Just my opinion.

Larry
Old 06-29-2004, 10:05 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

I personally know of a dealer who Winnebago yanked his Itasca franchise. The sole reason was, he refused to service anything he did not sell. He was located right along side of the East West Ohio turnpike. He had a been a Winnebago dealer for 22 years. He did not want to make the investment to service travelers. My dealer will do "warranty" work on any ones Winnebago. However, he does say it takes a lesser priority, because of the rates Winnebago pays for warranty repair. As far as cash business is concerned, he will take anyone, in fact travelers have their full attention.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:36 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> from Homer Originally posted by Homer:
I personally know of a dealer who Winnebago yanked his Itasca franchise. The sole reason was, he refused to service anything he did not sell. He was located right along side of the East West Ohio turnpike. He had a been a Winnebago dealer for 22 years. He did not want to make the investment to service travelers. My dealer will do "warranty" work on any ones Winnebago. However, he does say it takes a lesser priority, because of the rates Winnebago pays for warranty repair. As far as cash business is concerned, he will take anyone, in fact travelers have their full attention. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that makes sense! That's the way the world should turn. Maybe I will buy a Journey. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:06 PM   #31
Winnebago Watcher

Tom: I couldn't wait to get in on this one...I too had the same experience with Crowder RV Center in Johnson City,TN. When I was ready to order my new Journey, I got all other dealers prices, then contacted the dealer principal at Crowders..Told him exactly what I wanted and ask for a price..
His price was $10,000 higher than my best price..
I told him that he was my nearest Winnebago dealer and that I really would like to buy from him..I questioned that maybe he had figured something wrong..He said no that was what he had to make..
His next words are what I remember the best.. He said " I'm sure wherever you buy it - that you will make that your primary place of service! " end of call - his loss of a good profit
Dog Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:31 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

I still think Winnebago could score a massive coup in the area of customer service by setting up factory repair facilities in a few strategic locations across the country. New England would be an excellent candidate for the first one, and the metro Phoenix area could use one too.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:59 AM   #33
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ghost:
I still think Winnebago could score a massive coup in the area of customer service by setting up factory repair facilities in a few strategic locations across the country. New England would be an excellent candidate for the first one, and the metro Phoenix area could use one too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree strongly. In many places and at some times of the year, there is a severe shortage of service facilities. I'm not sure where these facilites ought to be, but satellite factory service for a variety of MH ills sounds good.

I also wanted to mention that Coach-Net includes in their Emergency Road Service offerings the services of someone who will try to find service AND a service appointment while you are traveling.

I cannot fault service managers for trying to assign priorities to different kinds of customers.

Also remember that the service department's highest priority is the sales department. All those folks who won't take delivery until everything works (imagine!) get taken care of first as well as dealer prep items.

RAS

1998 CR-V
raspears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:35 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

I also agree with Ghost premise. It ain't gonna happen though. They know they would be inundated with warranty claims, hence a profit center becomes a loss center. Every thing guys take care of on their own now, would suddenly become their problem. Not the way the bottom line grows. Fleetwood does have several service companies around the country, but they are all at their factory's
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 12:47 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

"...I too had the same experience with Crowder RV Center in Johnson City,TN."

Note to Self: Avoid Crowder RV Center in Johnson City, TN.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:11 AM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Berryland Motors on I-12 in Hammond, LA gave me a great price and gives super service. I am sure they would service any coach they could traveling on 1-12.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:44 AM   #37
Winnebago Master

I can also recommend VA RV in York County Va.
I know they have serviced coaches purchased elsewhere and if you were in a bind I am sure they would go out of their way to help you.

It would seem only normal, even at car dealers, that they would give priority to what they sell.
A service facility that would take in all comers has to be somewhat large and well organized. As you all know, there are some that do, some that don't and everything in between.
Good miles and
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 08:24 AM   #38
PDB
Winnebago Camper

I had a similar problem with Poulsbo, in Wash. state. I had an appt for some warranty work. When I got there, we got into a "discussion" with their finance guy. He screamed out to the service dept (in front of other customers!) "Don't fix anything on their coach!".
So, a new $250,000 Vectra, three weeks old, with a service appointment to get PDI itmes fixed, and the dealer refused us!
I called Winnie Customer Relations and they said "That's between you and the dealer."
So much for the Winnebago warranty! In two years we'll be getting another coach, and we're going back to Alfa!
Paul

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 12:37 PM   #39
Winnebago Camper

This could really be a serious problem for Winnebago owners who are traveling and are far from their purchasing dealer. This has probably escalated to this level because we have allowed it to happen. This is probably another reason to look at other makes when making next purchase. Good service is nice to have but do you think we should be held hostage. This is frustrating to hear these problems when getting service performed. It appears that Winnebago has no control over their dealerships.

07 F350 Dually Ford Diesel
R Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 07:35 AM   #40
Winnebago Owner

I have yet to purchase a motor home and have been looking at the Journey/Vectra as my #1 choice. I'm not sure I can make deal with my local dealer because of pricing isues. How serious a problem is this. The factory is 1200 miles away.

Is this a problem with a lot of dealers with out regard for the brand ?

I sure would like to buy the Journey/Vectra but I'm a little concerned now.

Aventa II Tow Bar/Apollo Braking
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote