Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2006, 11:29 PM   #1

We have had a lot rain here lately, and my storage bay under the outside radio is leaking to the point that the whole interior carpet is soaked. I find no indication of a leak either down an interior wall or from the bay door. the driver side front compartment leaks while driving on wet, rainy pavement. Are there "better" rubber seals that I can install?
no18yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:29 PM   #2

We have had a lot rain here lately, and my storage bay under the outside radio is leaking to the point that the whole interior carpet is soaked. I find no indication of a leak either down an interior wall or from the bay door. the driver side front compartment leaks while driving on wet, rainy pavement. Are there "better" rubber seals that I can install?
Old 12-15-2006, 01:49 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">my storage bay under the outside radio is leaking to the point that the whole interior carpet is soaked </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would put a 100w trouble light into that cabinet at nighttime, then close the cabinet door (latched) and look for where the rubber bulb seals are not making contact. That's your first task, to determine source of the water. -If it's not from "road spray", consider a leak at your kitchen sink drain(s), p-trap, or sink spigot connections. A leak in the kitchen could go right down into the cabinet below...
Old 12-15-2006, 03:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I had quite a few leaks in my storemore compartments. Took climbing into the compartments in broad daylight and closing them to find some of the leak areas, yes there were many. Unsealed seams and gaps were the worst, but I was also getting water into the lights via the wiring. They sealed the outside of the convolute, but water would flow right into it and into the lights, I've got the rusty lights to show for it!

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

no18yes - I just found and repaired my basement storage compartment leak. It turned out to be the water supply line to the galley sink. It only took a 1/4 turn with a wrench on the nylon fitting and the problem was solved. Now to get to that point, I removed all of the drawers in the galley cabinets. I could feel wet but could not see its source. So I removed roller slides and the plywood brace holding the brackets. It was only then I could see the drip, drip, drip. Working backwards I found the water was coming from the sink faucet under cabinet connection. It ran down the hot water supply line for about 3 feet, then it moved to the cold water supply line. Then it moved another 2 feet and finally dripped on to the floor. From the floor it ran into the light fixture in the forward basement storage compartment next to the outdoor entertainment center. The fix was easy but finding the source was tough. Hope I can save you some work. Check under your sink first. Let us know what you find out.

Larry

Larry
Cat C-7 DP -- 2 slides -- computer table dinet -- full body paint -- Satellite Dish: Winegard Movin' View Dome -- Toad: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD -- Aux Brake: none -- Tow Bar: Sterling All Terrain -- GPS: Garmin Street Pi
KE0M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

MY STORAGE BAY LEAKED AT THE TOP..BAGO PUT A PLASTIC FILLER OF SOME SORT TO FILL A CUTOUT IN THE SLIDEOUT...I TAPED MINE UP AND THE LEAK STOPPED. GOOD LUCK
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

My compartments have leaked on my '00 Journey on occasion, but it was because the side latches did not latch completely. Now I make a final inspection before driving to make sure they have securely latched on both sides of the compartment doors. When closed securely, they did not leak.

Look for the obvious solutions first.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Two of my three slides leak when extended adn there is heavy driving rain towards the seals. The kitchen slide leaks down into the compartment ceiling. The bedroom slide gets the bedroom floor wet.

I've tried to locate the leaks but the leaks are better than me. IDepending on the direction of the wind and rain I either pull the slides in, or put a water pan in the compartment.

I haven't been in heavy rain for a year so I've been lucky, but I'll be visiting the bago factory next year and this is on the list.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:06 PM   #9

Thanks for your help. Kitchen sink sounds like a good place to start.
Roadking you need to come on out to Oregon where it DOES RAIN. Some days it is like driving through a carwash. you need your rig washed, don't ya!