Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2006, 08:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I can find no reference to what kind of gas is in my dash air conditioner. It's a '96 Itasca on a '95 Ford F-53 chassis. How likely am I to have R-134 and how can I tell for sure? The A/C only cools to about 80 degrees in the center vent with the outside temp around 87-89. When it was around 76 outside, it cooled to 72 in the vent. My roof air goes to the low 60's most of the time.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I can find no reference to what kind of gas is in my dash air conditioner. It's a '96 Itasca on a '95 Ford F-53 chassis. How likely am I to have R-134 and how can I tell for sure? The A/C only cools to about 80 degrees in the center vent with the outside temp around 87-89. When it was around 76 outside, it cooled to 72 in the vent. My roof air goes to the low 60's most of the time.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If you can find the compressor, the suction side of the line should be cold and wet with moisture (one will be very hot, the other pretty cold and condensing moisture.) R134a service fitting has a different connection than R12. You could go to an auto parts store and look at an AC recharge kit and examine the fittings and compare to yours.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Ken;
Find the refrigerant lines on the compressor. Trace them and find the service port. It should have an unscrewable cap, something like the one on your tires where you add air to them. When you remove the cap, is it about the same size as on your tires? And does it have a shraider fitting, like the ones on your tires? If so then you have R-12.

I have a 95 Winnebago, Ford 460 and it has R-134, so my guess is your Itasca also has R-134.

If it does have the R-134, thats a good thing because you will be able to go to the auto parts store and purchase a "re-charge" kit. You most likely won't need more than one small 14 or 16oz can.
Follow the instructions carefully. You will be adding the freon to the "suction" side of the compressor, the cool pipe going to the compressor.

If in doubt as to which "pipe" on the compressor is the suction one, the one that goes to the condensor in front of the radiator is the "Discharge" line. DO NOT CONNECT TO THIS ONE!

Let us know how you made out.

'96 - 38' Adventurer
Flintstones Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Ford passenger cars and trucks all used R134 by 1994. Not sure if that'd be the case for an F53, but I'd guess you have R134. There should be a label underhood somewhere.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Have you checked the heater valve to heater, thats suppose to be closed, to block hot water from getting into heater when you switch to AC?
I assume you have before you decided to add new gas.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:06 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Before you start dumping refrigerant, you need to make sure that your A/C damper doors are in the correct position and hot water is not heating the air.

If you do not know where of how to add R134a, you need to get a qualified technician to do it for you. I am in the refrigeration business and people do not believe that "Freon" can be dangerous if not handled properly.

Ken
Old 10-05-2006, 03:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I just got my MH out of the shop where they replaced everything but the paint job on the generator. On the way home in 85 degree weather the temp in the center vent for the dash air read 80 degrees. It stayed there for the 25 mile trip home.

This morning I confirmed it is an R-134 system, and I was preparing to go get a recharge kit, but thought I'd check it again. In 80 degree weather the vent temp was just above 60 degrees. The tubing on the suction side near the valve was cold, but not condensing moisture. The high side was warm, but not too hot to touch. I let it run for about ten minutes and it stayed at 60. All of these measurements were in the max air position with the temp lever all the way toward cold.

Did it show 60 because I was sitting still and will it go back to 80 when I get on the road again? I don't know where to look for the heater valve to see what position it is in.

Of course all this will be moot in a few days because the temperature is supposed to fall into the 70's by this weekend and may not make the 80's again this year.