Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2006, 06:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I'm considering purchasing a 1995 Winnebago Vectra (35' Diesel) from Lazy Days in Tampa, FL.

This is a used unit with well over 100K miles on it. It has basement A/C, an LP Genset, Cummins 230/Allison 6spd.

Can you all offer a list of items that I should look at or look out for on this unit?

I'm considering moving up from a 1989 Gas Class C that we currently own.

Any info you can pass along is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian
The LeRoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I'm considering purchasing a 1995 Winnebago Vectra (35' Diesel) from Lazy Days in Tampa, FL.

This is a used unit with well over 100K miles on it. It has basement A/C, an LP Genset, Cummins 230/Allison 6spd.

Can you all offer a list of items that I should look at or look out for on this unit?

I'm considering moving up from a 1989 Gas Class C that we currently own.

Any info you can pass along is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 04-26-2006, 03:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Granted diesel engines can go a couple hundred thousand miles without a rebuild but the rest of the coach wears out in the same time period as a gas coach. I see the Vectra on LDs website. The dining chairs are not original and the exterior gray paint looks like it has been repainted. The LP Genset is a negative if you plan to use the coach a lot without hookups. THe chair in the lounge is not original.

I had a 1994 Vectra but it was gas. Traded it in with 81,000 miles on it. The Vectra was a great coach in it's day and Winnebago's top of the line gas coach for many years. Here is a photo of my old Vectra. I really loved that coach and would still have it if my wife didn't want slides!

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:18 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
The Vectra was a great coach in it's day and Winnebago's top of the line for many years.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Vectra still is Winnebago's top of the line....

Winnebago Industries also makes the Itasca line,where the Itasca Horizon (Vectra's big sister) is the true top of the Winnebago Industries line....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

My local RV mechanic had a 1995 Vectra Grand Tour for sale when I was looking to upgrade from gas to DP. It was immaculate..had the Cummins. He was asking $75K (18 months ago) but while it was a beautiful rig, we wanted slides. He did sell it to another of his regular customers who travel a lot and they love it.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
The Vectra was a great coach in it's day and Winnebago's top of the line for many years.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Vectra still is Winnebago's top of the line....

Winnebago Industries also makes the Itasca line,where the Itasca Horizon (Vectra's big sister) is the true top of the Winnebago Industries line.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't mean to be picky here and a bit off topic, but for the record, the Ultimate Advantage was Winnebago's top of the line coach for years... I beleive 2004 was the last year for it. List price around $340,000.
3huskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Brian

I looked at a Vectra made about the same time frame. The floor in the bathroom was soft and ruined. Look for soft spots in the bathroom, around the washer/dryer and any place where water can be present I had the problem in a 1994 Dolphin DP made on the OshKosh chassis. I had to replace the flake board sub floor and put im a new laminate floor floorcovering. I did the work myself and had very little money in the project, but it was a lot of work.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:38 PM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

3Huskies....speaking of older model year coaches you are in fact correct....I was referring to what is being made today.

The last year for the Ultimate Advantage/Freedom was in fact 2004....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:01 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Brian, Here are some things that happened to my 230HP Cummins or to other people on the other list I use to be on:

1 - On the Fleetwood/Freightline/Cummins combination in that era, an Xtarder (Pac Brake??) type of
"Jake Brake" type exhaust brake was used. They were junk and lots of trouble.

2 - The alternator bracket was weak and if it didn't break, it bent, leading to belt failure and/or
alternator failure. The process of breaking sometimes lead to radiator damage.

3 - Some Cummins engine blocks produced in Brazil ? cracked. Google "Cummins # 53 crack"

4 - Check the crankcase vent tube. That era Cummins vent tube vented vapors out and the oil vap.
were picked up by the radiator fan, deposited on the radiator, mixed with road dirt etc. and
plugged the radiator. The radiator consists of 3 sections. The engine radiator, intercooler,
and the engine AC. It's about 2000.00 to disassemble and clean properly. Simple Green, or you
name it and a high pressure sprayer didn't work for most guys. The fix for the vent tube was
to connect another tube and extend it back beyone the radiator so the oil went out the back.

5 - Make note of the size of the engine air filter/canister just to make sure you can handle
changing it. It's a very large, heavy item. The engine, air filter, radiator sit in the back
of the running gear and they're constantly in some degree of a cloud of dust.

6 - Check the air ride rubber bags (I assume it has air ride). If they're original, they're
probably showing signs of dry rot. See if they'll replace them.

7 - Check the air pump. Watch them replace the filter. Look for rust contamination as these air
ride pumps are very particular about water contamination.

You might consider a class A gasoline coach with the engine, radiator etc up front. Spring suspension is very easy to repair, air filter is easy to get at. You could get a fairly new gas coach for the same price with less than 20,000 miles on it. Hope this helps. I can't address the rest of the coach as I had a Fleetwood/Freightline/Cummins. The Fleetwood/Freightline portion of my rig was a nightmare but that's off topic. Good luck with your search.

I'm REALLY happy with my Adventurer and the people on here complaining about their Workhorse just haven't looked into the jaws of REAL SLOPPY WORKMANSHIP.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Be sure an check the inside of the outside compartment doors. We had a 1994 Vectra, put over 80k miles on it including a trip to Alaska.
The inside of the outside compartment door where covered with a thin sheet of steel and when we sold it in 2002 that at some bad rust spots on them.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 11:15 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I looked at another Vectra today. This time it was a 1993. It wasn't a Turbo model, its actually up on Ebay at the moment (link below).

There is some rust on the inside of the basement doors, not too bad.

The floor in the center of the rig (throughout the length) does creak quite a bit when walking on it. Any idea what causes that?

Doesn't appear to have been any leaks at any time in this coach and the headliner seems great.

Also the lower gray trim portion along the back (what might be considered the bumper) has been damaged, and probably needs to be replaced. Any idea on cost of that?

It has 2 other small issues, the broken drivers door handle (outside only) and the curbside bedroom window doesn't seal tight.

Thoughts???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Winnebago-Vectra-MUST-SE...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem