Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-27-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner
 
flashajt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Apopka, FL
Posts: 63
Has anyone invested in an RV alarm? We are considering a quick solution - nothing fancy, just need a noise makes (I guess motion controlled). We had a good friend get their RV broken into a few months ago while visiting North Carolina and her laptop was stolen. While its probably best to take things like this with you, its not always possible. She even had it "hidden" and they still managed to find it.

Just want to know others feedback on some alarm solutions. If you have any recommendations, please post the website link if you have it handy. Thanks!
__________________
2006 Journey 36SE
2009 Chevy Malibu LT Tow
2007 Honda Civic EX Tow (Retired)
flashajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner
 
flashajt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Apopka, FL
Posts: 63
Has anyone invested in an RV alarm? We are considering a quick solution - nothing fancy, just need a noise makes (I guess motion controlled). We had a good friend get their RV broken into a few months ago while visiting North Carolina and her laptop was stolen. While its probably best to take things like this with you, its not always possible. She even had it "hidden" and they still managed to find it.

Just want to know others feedback on some alarm solutions. If you have any recommendations, please post the website link if you have it handy. Thanks!
__________________
2006 Journey 36SE
2009 Chevy Malibu LT Tow
2007 Honda Civic EX Tow (Retired)
flashajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher
 
takepride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1
I had an inexpensive one from Camping World that was battery operated and motion sensitive. It's basically just a keypad with a sensor on the top and a built in squealer-type alarm. Worked as advertised. Cost about $30-$40 IIRC. I believe it was called Safe-T-Alert. It was made by one of the companies that makes smoke/lpg/CO detectors. I've also seen similar types at Radio Shack and Target/Walmart/Kmart.
__________________
2003 Alpine 40FDTS (400HP)
Long Beach, CA
takepride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:21 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise
 
Pubtym's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 359
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flashajt:
Has anyone invested in an RV alarm? We are considering a quick solution - nothing fancy, just need a noise makes (I guess motion controlled). We had a good friend get their RV broken into a few months ago while visiting North Carolina and her laptop was stolen. While its probably best to take things like this with you, its not always possible. She even had it "hidden" and they still managed to find it.

Just want to know others feedback on some alarm solutions. If you have any recommendations, please post the website link if you have it handy. Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where was the entry point for the break in?
__________________
Pubtym, 20th SOS "Green Hornet" , Viet Nam 68-69,
2015 Thor A.C.E 29.3
Pubtym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:25 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise
 
Trek-Cyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 304
I find that a sticker on the door, a nice one stating "In case of emergency please rescue the dog" Helps. Also a dog lead outside and a bowl of water...
I do have a dog, but the previous would be cheaper!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner
 
flashajt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Apopka, FL
Posts: 63
Good suggestions!!! Never thought about "poseing". We do not have a dog - only 2 cats. Love dogs but need to save that for retirement someday when I can spend more time with a dog. In the meantime, the "Save Dog" sticker sounds like a great idea!

Our friends that got broke into, the entry was in the bedroom window. It was a Class "C" with really cheap plastic window latches. I am sure our DP has a more secure setup.
__________________
2006 Journey 36SE
2009 Chevy Malibu LT Tow
2007 Honda Civic EX Tow (Retired)
flashajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:39 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise
 
Pubtym's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 359
Other suggestions: Little sign post out by stairs with small sign "Protected by Smith and Wesson".

If you can get an NRA sticker...

Or sign: "I shoot first..ask questions later"
__________________
Pubtym, 20th SOS "Green Hornet" , Viet Nam 68-69,
2015 Thor A.C.E 29.3
Pubtym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:13 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise
 
Trek-Cyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 304
flashajt,
Two or three years ago we bought ours at a FMCA Rally from one of the badge/sign folks that were there.

Made of plastic with a sticky back on it.
You might be able to go to a Plastic sign or I.D. Maker locally and have one made up to match the coach..
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central FL
Posts: 166
And what campground in NC was the party ripped off??
I have a deadbolt and regular lock on the main entry door but feel the driver's door is probably the week point for a break-in. I've been thinking of making a plastic contraption to prevent the door from being forcibly unlocked but that's still on the to do list.
Maybe if that laptop had been hooked up to a camera hooked to the web the prosecutor would have some fun.
Surveillance, either with a dog or camera seems the only way to go.
I'll bet Wal-Mart watches my stuff 24 & 7!
__________________
2012 Phaeton 40 QBH, 2011 Ford Explorer & 2013 Jeep Wrangler Toads via BlueOx, TPMS by TTS, Delta Force toad brake system.
Paul T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:47 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise
 
Pubtym's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 359
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul T:
And what campground in NC was the party ripped off??
I have a deadbolt and regular lock on the main entry door but feel the driver's door is probably the week point for a break-in. I've been thinking of making a plastic contraption to prevent the door from being forcibly unlocked but that's still on the to do list.
Maybe if that laptop had been hooked up to a camera hooked to the web the prosecutor would have some fun.
Surveillance, either with a dog or camera seems the only way to go.
I'll bet Wal-Mart watches my stuff 24 & 7! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Might want to check emergency exit window latches in bedroom....
__________________
Pubtym, 20th SOS "Green Hornet" , Viet Nam 68-69,
2015 Thor A.C.E 29.3
Pubtym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:07 AM   #11
Winnebago Master
 
Tom N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA
Posts: 1,196
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pubtym:
Other suggestions: Little sign post out by stairs with small sign "Protected by Smith and Wesson".

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To me this would be an open invitation to break in because firearms are carried in the coach.

-Tom
carries but does not advertise
__________________
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA FMCA 335149 W3TLN
2005 Suncruiser 38R W24, no chassis mods needed 2013 Honda Accord EX-L 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:14 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise
 
Pubtym's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 359
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pubtym:
Other suggestions: Little sign post out by stairs with small sign "Protected by Smith and Wesson".

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To me this would be an open invitation to break in because firearms are carried in the coach.

-Tom
carries but does not advertise </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point...

I carry too but don't advertise.
__________________
Pubtym, 20th SOS "Green Hornet" , Viet Nam 68-69,
2015 Thor A.C.E 29.3
Pubtym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:20 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise
 
Pubtym's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 359
another idea..without the live dog.
http://www.shopfromyourhome.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?...=Personal_Protection

There's a link at the website where you can hear the alarm's dog bark...sounds convincing to me. You be da judge!
__________________
Pubtym, 20th SOS "Green Hornet" , Viet Nam 68-69,
2015 Thor A.C.E 29.3
Pubtym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:15 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner
 
flashajt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Apopka, FL
Posts: 63
Yes we carry as well - I surely feel bad for anyone should they break in while we are in the coach - but of course, that isnt what I am worried about. Very good suggestions here!!!

For those who inquired about my friends break-in, here is exactly what she told me. I asked her if I can share - she said no problem. We are here to educate others! Great story...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We stayed at some state campgrounds, which by the way sometimes are really nice, so don't avoid them, and also some private campgrounds. We had no problems at the campgrounds.

We got broken into when we were parked in the Great Smoky Mtns. National Park at a trail head. Because ours was an oversized vehicle, we were parked away from where the majority of cars were. One side of the RV was alongside the busy road, but the other side was up against the woods. We suspect that the burgler got in through a window on the wood side, as it would be easy to not be seen. Plus, because we were at a trail head, it was pretty obvious that we were off hiking.

If you look at the RV windows, the locks are plastic and pretty flimsy. We think they jimmied one of them, although there was no sign of forced entry and no obvious fingerprints, as the police did a check. The
burglar(s) definitely exited through the side door because when we got back to the RV, it was unlocked, and we were sure we'd locked it.

They stole the brand new laptop, used a total of one time. Ugh! They overlooked my purse with wallet which was hidden behind clothes in one of the cabinets. That was a lucky break, as I had credit cards, cash, etc. in there. (I didn't want to carry my purse on the hike.)

We happened to have our still camera and video camera with us, so they didn't get those. The only other thing they took was our Florida license plate. That meant we had to go through the hassle of filing a police report, because we knew we couldn't drive home thru 3 states (NC, Tenn and GA) on the way home without plates and no proof of them having been stolen. What a major hassle because the theft happened in a national park, meaning we had to file federal paperwork, talk to federal agents, etc. etc.

I guess the best advice I could offer anyone is if you have an RV, try to park in a visible spot. And hide your valuables. Our laptop was in a cabinet, not visible to someone peeking into the RV, but they found it. They did not, as I said, find my purse.

We've camped many times for many years, and this is the first time we've had an incident. So don't let it scare you too badly. But do make sure to "hide your stuff" if at all possible, just in case </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
__________________
2006 Journey 36SE
2009 Chevy Malibu LT Tow
2007 Honda Civic EX Tow (Retired)
flashajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:57 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise
 
Pubtym's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 359
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flashajt:
Yes we carry as well - I surely feel bad for anyone should they break in while we are in the coach - but of course, that isnt what I am worried about. Very good suggestions here!!!

For those who inquired about my friends break-in, here is exactly what she told me. I asked her if I can share - she said no problem. We are here to educate others! Great story...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We stayed at some state campgrounds, which by the way sometimes are really nice, so don't avoid them, and also some private campgrounds. We had no problems at the campgrounds.

We got broken into when we were parked in the Great Smoky Mtns. National Park at a trail head. Because ours was an oversized vehicle, we were parked away from where the majority of cars were. One side of the RV was alongside the busy road, but the other side was up against the woods. We suspect that the burgler got in through a window on the wood side, as it would be easy to not be seen. Plus, because we were at a trail head, it was pretty obvious that we were off hiking.

If you look at the RV windows, the locks are plastic and pretty flimsy. We think they jimmied one of them, although there was no sign of forced entry and no obvious fingerprints, as the police did a check. The
burglar(s) definitely exited through the side door because when we got back to the RV, it was unlocked, and we were sure we'd locked it.

They stole the brand new laptop, used a total of one time. Ugh! They overlooked my purse with wallet which was hidden behind clothes in one of the cabinets. That was a lucky break, as I had credit cards, cash, etc. in there. (I didn't want to carry my purse on the hike.)

We happened to have our still camera and video camera with us, so they didn't get those. The only other thing they took was our Florida license plate. That meant we had to go through the hassle of filing a police report, because we knew we couldn't drive home thru 3 states (NC, Tenn and GA) on the way home without plates and no proof of them having been stolen. What a major hassle because the theft happened in a national park, meaning we had to file federal paperwork, talk to federal agents, etc. etc.

I guess the best advice I could offer anyone is if you have an RV, try to park in a visible spot. And hide your valuables. Our laptop was in a cabinet, not visible to someone peeking into the RV, but they found it. They did not, as I said, find my purse.

We've camped many times for many years, and this is the first time we've had an incident. So don't let it scare you too badly. But do make sure to "hide your stuff" if at all possible, just in case </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everyone should be aware of "lock bumping" with keys commonly available for modification to bump with. Would not take a rocket scientist crook to fabricate a bump key for the common RV door locks. Do a goggle search if you have not heard of lock bumping. It's all over YouTube website..with videos on exactly how to make bump keys.
__________________
Pubtym, 20th SOS "Green Hornet" , Viet Nam 68-69,
2015 Thor A.C.E 29.3
Pubtym is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Refrigerator Door Alarm wlf00 General Maintenance and Repair 11 01-05-2009 05:13 AM
Low coolant alarm?? smlranger General Maintenance and Repair 6 04-13-2007 02:31 PM
Propane Alarm JanBCarter General Maintenance and Repair 10 10-25-2005 06:45 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×