Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2023, 03:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Refrigerator cooling unit replacement or DC unit?

Hey folks, just looking for a sanity check. 2004 Journey 36G. We've been nursing our Norcold 1200 along for a couple of years, knowing it was failing. It has finally given up the ghost. Logic board checks good, but it is not cooling. I'm debating doing the cooling unit replacement with the DC compressor unit versus the standard cooling unit--both from JC.

I'm concerned that our battery capacity (3 X 100ah AGM) will not be able to keep up with the DC unit when we are dry camped, without extensive generator use. That drives a whole bunch of other expensive upgrades--solar (not too expensive) and lithiums (lots more expense with batteries, a new inverter-charger, and rewiring). While I would love to do the electrical upgrades, I'm not sure how much longer we'll keep the coach, after having very little use the past 3 years.

Right now I'm leaning toward the AC/propane replacement cooling unit rather than sinking several thousand extra dollars in a coach we aren't using a lot and may sell in a few years. I would prefer the DC unit, but just not sure it makes monetary sense. Am I overthinking the supporting upgrades needed?

When we have the coach out, we do "dry camp" at times, usually not more than a couple of days at a time.

Tags
ace, cooling, refrigerator, replace, replacement