Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water tank fills up when hooked to city water

Our 2014 Meridian 36 is doing something we don't understand: when we are hooked up to City water and have the water pump off, the water tank will gradually fill up, forcing us to turn on the water pump to use the water in the tank. This doesn't always happen, but it is fairly frequent.
Has anyone else had this experience?
CAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAnthony View Post
Our 2014 Meridian 36 is doing something we don't understand: when we are hooked up to City water and have the water pump off, the water tank will gradually fill up, forcing us to turn on the water pump to use the water in the tank. This doesn't always happen, but it is fairly frequent.
Has anyone else had this experience?
not sure about your meridian but our fleetwood has a valve for "bypass" or "tank fill" when hooked to city water - have you checked that valve? Perhaps is is in the wrong position or faulty. Just a thought
Old 03-22-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghbob View Post
not sure about your meridian but our fleetwood has a valve for "bypass" or "tank fill" when hooked to city water - have you checked that valve? Perhaps is is in the wrong position or faulty. Just a thought
This would be my suggestion as well. Our diverter valve failed a couple of years ago.
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:50 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Tank fill valve must be in the open position. Check it!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Also I have replaced 2 water pumps that fix this issue, hope the latest one last longer.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via MSN to Saber77
As others have said, there is really only one source of this problem and that is the fill/city water valve. Be sure it is in the "city" position firmly -- maybe work the valve back and forth several times to ensure that it seats. If that doesn't fix it, then it's probably a faulty valve.
Saber77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber77 View Post
As others have said, there is really only one source of this problem and that is the fill/city water valve. Be sure it is in the "city" position firmly -- maybe work the valve back and forth several times to ensure that it seats. If that doesn't fix it, then it's probably a faulty valve.

Actually there is not just one, see reply 5.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I had a similar problem with my RV, since my Mountain Aire has two different hookups for the onboard tank and the city water I knew that a fill/city valve in the wrong position couldn't be the problem. Turned out to be a faulty check valve in the water pump that was allowing water to seep past it into the tank. Cheap easy fix to replace the valve and not the whole pump.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afubar View Post
I had a similar problem with my RV, since my Mountain Aire has two different hookups for the onboard tank and the city water I knew that a fill/city valve in the wrong position couldn't be the problem. Turned out to be a faulty check valve in the water pump that was allowing water to seep past it into the tank. Cheap easy fix to replace the valve and not the whole pump.
Exactly.........

Two methods for water to get into fresh water tank

Via 'FILL' valve....either left cracked open or leaking thru
Handle slipping on valve stem, bad seat/disc. Replace valve

Via pumps internal check valve---diaphragm not closing allowing backflow thru pump to tank
Usually running pump/using up water in tank will clear the check valve and allow it to fully close.
Check valve can be replaced......just check pump mfg. website for part number

NOW.which one is it ??
Remove line from the EASIEST to access....either off the FILL valve or the Suction of PUMP

Water coming out of pump with city water on.....pump check valve
Water coming out of fill valve with city water on....Fill valve

Don't want to disassemble pump...then get a 1/2" barbed in-line check valve and install in pump suction line.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

The fill valve should not be operated with any pressure on it as this will cause the seals inside the valve to fail. Then you get water where you don't want it.
I am told that the seals inside the valve can be replaced without removing the valve.
Do a forum search for more info.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:17 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago has a history of the city/fresh fill valves failing. Also it could be the check valve on the fresh water pump. Removing, and cleaning the check valve is probably the easiest to do first.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:06 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I have the same Motor home, Had the same problem called Winnebago after I
had the valve replaced in the utility bay and it did not fix the problem - here is what they told me to do -

Flip the winterize valve in the bay over the outside propane tank - fixed the problem - a bit of a pain as you have to flip it again so you can use the pump when not connected to water but this fixed has worked for two years
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:13 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

When this happens on a newer coach, I always suspect the water pump has ingested some plastic shavings or other type crud through it's intake side. That generally will become lodged in one of the flapper valves as they are the most restrictive area of the pump. Of course if your pump is equipped with a filter on the intake, the chances of this happening are pretty much eliminated.

In any case, once some forign object is trapped in one of those valves, the pump will not be able to seal off the water tank when on city water.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:24 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem twice it was the water inlet valve (where you hook hose to inlet) the darn thing went bad. Pretty easy fix.
More-Gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:54 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

rream; flipping that valve stops the water from reaching the pump, in your case I'd say all you really needed to do was remove the check valve on the pump blow it out and reinstall it to stop the leak, rather then having to keep flipping the winterization valve.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:26 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Thanks!

These are all good suggestions! Here are some more symptoms:
When using the water pump it cycles quite often- even when we are not using water, but there is no apparent water leak. We suspect the pump is also feeding water back into the tank.
Rream, does your water pump cycle on an unusual amount when you use it?
Old 03-23-2017, 04:48 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAnthony View Post
These are all good suggestions! Here are some more symptoms:
When using the water pump it cycles quite often- even when we are not using water, but there is no apparent water leak. We suspect the pump is also feeding water back into the tank.
Rream, does your water pump cycle on an unusual amount when you use it?
Not really but I usually turn it off after we use the water
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:50 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

I had the same problem in my Horizon. The tank fill valve was faulty and needed to be replaced. When not on city water my pump cycled on and off every now and again.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:22 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

My 2004 Winnebago 32V had the same problem so I installed a new plastic fill valve from Winnebago. Cheap plastic valve was no better than the old one. I then just went to the hardware store and picked up a brass ball valve, added a couple of 1/2" barbed hose fittings and screw clamps and mounted the valve right where the old valve was. The result was a valve that is strong enough to withstand to 40psi water flow and it looks like a factory mount. Hope this helps.
tombones49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:29 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

We thought it might be a faulty tank valve, but it turned out to be the check valve. Once that was replaced, everything has been fine.

Tags
tank, water