Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2006, 04:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Our hot water suddenly stopped flowing. Thanks to this forum I learned that many Winnie owners had the same problem with the hot water tank check valves. Once I located and removed the check valve I found it had plastic internal parts that had broken. See photo of plastic part with missing retainer.

My coach is an 2005 Itasca 40 AD manufactured in July of 2004. I understand that later models may have the better brass check valves. Earlier models have the plastic check valves.

If you have not replaced your check valves on your coach you may want to have the necessary tools on hand just in case. The check valve resquires a 1 inch wrench, preferably a ratchet wrench, see photo.

On my coach there was an access door under the motor home and towards the back side of the hot water heater. Once this door was removed I could remove the plastic water pipe nut with pliers. I then had to go to Sears and purchase a 1 inch ratchet wrench. This was the only tool with sufficient torque to loosen the defective check valve in the small space. Once removed, I gutted the valve of its defective parts and re-installed it. Its only purpose of the valve is to keep anti-freeze out of the hot water heater when winterizing. Since I blow out my lines, I did not need the check valve.

Now that the gutted valve is re-installed, I have hot water again.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote