Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-20-2006, 09:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

The RV Radio that came with my 03 unit is a POS. I see that they've made some minor improvement on the current unit...But coming from the same vendor, it is probably still a POS. They want $315 for this newer radio. I saw that Pioneer makes a 1.5DIN cd radio. Anyone install that radio in their rv? If you installed a 1DIN radio, was it hard to retrofit?

Thanks for your feedback...
Old 07-20-2006, 09:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The RV Radio that came with my 03 unit is a POS. I see that they've made some minor improvement on the current unit...But coming from the same vendor, it is probably still a POS. They want $315 for this newer radio. I saw that Pioneer makes a 1.5DIN cd radio. Anyone install that radio in their rv? If you installed a 1DIN radio, was it hard to retrofit?

Thanks for your feedback...
Old 07-20-2006, 01:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The RV Radio is made by Magnadyne. It is not a POS however it is very low quality. I immediately ripped mine out and replaced it with a Kenwood AM/FM/CD/HDFM/Sirius radio that I bought at Crutchfield.com. It was a 1 DIN but the local car stereo installer had a face plate to cover the empty space. He said it was easy to install, no issues at all. It is much better.

08 Monaco Dynasty Renaissance IV
montanaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I replaced mine with a Clarion. The dealer had to install a different faceplate to cover the hole but it was no big deal. The part I like best about the Calrion is that it has a remote so I can change stations and go from AM-FM-CD and increase/decrease the volume, pause the CD and mute all of it without having to lean over and look at the radio. My wife has to change the CD's though because I chaeped out and only got the single CD player. Other than that it's great. Sorry, don't remember the price.
skipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I must not be very discriminating - I am not unhappy with mine.
What is bad about the existing radio?

Not trying to pick a fight, just thought it seemed to work okay.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:58 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I'm with Clay L. I like my RV Radio, particularly since it has the audio tape option (one of those things made before electricity).

It would be nice, however, to have a remote to control volume, etc. It's a VERY LONG WAY up to the front to adjust it.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Hmmmmm .. mine has a handheld remote and one on the steering wheel. (plus weather band)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:12 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Mine's like John's. It also ties into the Siriusand surround sound. No complaints.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It would be nice, however, to have a remote to control volume, etc. It's a VERY LONG WAY up to the front to adjust it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Winnebago started adding the remote feature on 2004s in in late August of 2003 or thereabouts.
In any case it was about two weeks after mine came off the assembly line.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:00 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

My only problem with it is that it won't play my ripped CDs!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:29 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

My '06 Vectra was like John describes... steering wheel and hand held remote.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:58 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Think mine is a Panasonic - dash mount - single CD - No Auxillary port - that is about the only thing that I would change. Since I listen to the radio more when driving then stationary - it seems just fine -The remote control would be nice, but, just another one to misplace.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:20 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I think those of you with the remotes received a newer unit than the one I have.

Let's see (and this was discussed in prev years)
1. Can't see the dial
2. CDs skip when I hit bumps
3. Scan, but does not seek (or the other way around, or I don't know how to use it)
4. CD always returns to track 1 after radio has been turned off...
5. Can't see the dial (oops that's twice I said that)
Other than the above, I guess one can say it is functional...
Old 07-21-2006, 08:56 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

have 04 vectra - not to crazy about factory
radio. installed inexp. Delphi SkyFi tiesinto
the coach sound system,works real nice. sat.
system costs 9.00 peer year. systems radio can
run upto 300.00. it is mounted just below existing radio.
mrbojangles is offline   Reply With Quote