Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-22-2024, 03:20 PM   #1
Micro Traveler

Shower "Door" Question 2023 Micro Minnie 2108FBS

Our newish 2023 2108 FBS has a terribly designed shower 'door', a sliding plastic sheet under spring tension! The clip which holds this 'door' closed barely engages the stile on the closed side. If the plastic sheet is gently touched inadvertently, the spring-loaded 'door' flies open (retracts). Anyone else have this issue?

A simple solution would be to remove this plastic sheet door mess, and install a traditional curtain & rod. Any other ideas?
Jay Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 08:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Same exact thing on this end. We hate that door with a burning passion. I'll most likely install a normal shower curtain, but coming up with a better latch is also a possibility; the challenge is making the latch accessible from both sides (inside/outside the shower).
eatSleepWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 12:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have the same setup in my towable. Only the top and bottom bars are too short for the shower stall on mine. While showering the top bar fell out of the saddle on one end and hit my foot. There's no way to fix it outside of getting longer bars which the dealer has told me would be the same length. I've since installed a shower rod and curtain.
Old 05-25-2024, 04:58 PM   #4
Micro Traveler

For now, we purchased a nice looking $10 fabric shower curtain liner (easy for my wife to sew to size) and a set of simple 2" curtain hooks to fit over the top rail. If this works nicely, I'll remove the OE spring-loaded plastic door mechanism (should be easy, just a few screws on the headrail and side stiles) and install a new rod.
Old 05-26-2024, 06:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Smile Shower door

I have a 2108ds (2018 model) and I have not experienced that problem. I think the solution of a new shower curtain would work but I would check with the dealer you purchased the camper from and see if they have a recall on the door. There may have been some defective doors that were put into your units.

Good luck and happy camping…
Bughawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 06:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have that same door and it is great. I even have friends that have purchased the same door and installed in their rv’s.
If you change to a curtain I would be very careful. A curtain will cause water to leak onto your floor. If you don’t dry it immediately you could be creating a moisture issue under the floor.
Horse54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 06:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse54 View Post
I have that same door and it is great. I even have friends that have purchased the same door and installed in their rv’s.
If you change to a curtain I would be very careful. A curtain will cause water to leak onto your floor. If you don’t dry it immediately you could be creating a moisture issue under the floor.
I agree. Water in a camper where it is not supposed to be is HUGE issue. I have had several issues with water leaks in the pass and spent a great deal of time drying out the camper. I have found that DampRid is a great solution. I have some in the camper all of the time. When I winterize and store the camper in the winter I put several of the large buckets in the camper. So far everything is nice and dry and no mold that I can see or smell.

Good luck and happy camping.
Bughawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 09:17 AM   #8
Site Team

I held off posting because the OP thinks the retractable shower screen it a bad design.

I've had 3 RVs with this setup - two travel trailers and one Class C. We always felt it was the very best option. It worked flawlessly and was even self-cleaning when it is retracted. We always counted it a real plus in those RVs.

Is it just the latch, or maybe the alignment? Perhaps the one Winnebago uses isn't good quality?

Just know that like most things features one RVer hates another RVer loves.
Old 05-27-2024, 01:49 PM   #9
Micro Traveler

The retractable plastic sheet door seems a worthy design, but the 3/4" high plastic latch only engages the metal stile ~1/16". When closed, any time the plastic sheet is touched (an elbow barely brushing against the door), the latch releases and the door springs open! As can be said of many Chinese-manufactured parts - Great idea, poorly executed.

My SO (Significant Other) is dialed-in with an online FB Micro group, and apparently MANY owners report the same issues. Most folks replace with a shower curtain.

Regarding my RV dealer, I avoid them whenever possible! I'm an hour drive away (10 gal diesel round-trip, ~$50). Even with an appointment (typically ~3 weeks in the future), they want me to leave the Micro for several days for their tech to "understand" the problem, and see if Winnebago will pay for the repairs. Then, ~4-6 weeks to order parts. If they remember to call me back after the parts arrive (they have forgotten on several occasions), another 60 mile tow back to the dealer (120 mi round-trip, ~$50 of diesel) for a few days of repairs. It's much less $$$ and stress for me to complete repairs myself whenever possible! Plus, my fellow Micro owners seem to know so much more about hacks and repairs than RV service departments!
Old 05-27-2024, 09:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

On my 2024 I was sceptical, didn’t seem to catch by much but has yet to pop loose during the shower. Maybe an improvement in the next year jaytea…
Wmlunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 11:22 AM   #11
Micro Traveler

Thanks for all the replies! The new shower curtain is installed, with 1.5" OD heavy galvanized washers sewn-in the bottom hem, overlapping the bottom by several inches. The shower head water pressure is not strong enough to "sail" the curtain away from the shower enclosure sides or bottom. We'll keep a sharp eye for water escaping and puddling on the lino floor. Thanks again!
Old 06-11-2024, 10:16 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Would an arrangement of neodymium magnets replace the latch? Assume one would need to try different sizes, and perhaps a flange or something, but if the one my wife has on the fridge is anything like what one would use, you could find yourself trapped in the shower
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 10:43 AM   #13
Micro Traveler

Oh no ... the dreaded "Trapped In The Shower" during boondocking? HaHa

As neither the stile nor latch assemblies are magnetic, I suppose one could glue several magnets to both (reverse polarity)?

Our curtain works so well, glides open/closed effortlessly, and doesn't leak. Keeping It Simple!

Tags
shower, door