Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-25-2024, 08:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Full length Queen in Micro Minnie 2108FBS?

For those of you that have upgraded the queen mattress to a full length Queen bed, did you extend the support box underneath as well?

Was thinking to only add 2 support “triangles” at the foot of the bed to support the extra length… (short leg of triangle against the bottom of the bed board, and other short leg against the bed support box)

I don’t want the foot of the bed to be spongy when sat upon.

What thickness mattress did you use?
Thanks for any insight!
Bill
Wmlunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 12:14 PM   #2
Micro Traveler

Hey Bill. Yes, the first thing I did to our new 2108FBS was install a full size queen (60x80), and then install a conventional / hybrid 10" thick mattress (spring w/ foam pillow top).

This was done by lengthening the ply portion which hinges up, and supporting by installing a new ply 'box' at the foot (to now hold three small wicker storage baskets). Make certain to use the old hinged cover as a template to mark locations of the right & left lift mechanisms on the new ply.

The new mattress is heavy and does not bend in the middle (like the original), but the under-bed storage is still accessible (grunt!). We keep rarely used extra blankets and extreme weather clothing in large plastic bins in that storage area, so it is not an inconvenience. Also, the new mattress length does not get in the way of the slide or entrance door, although the left side bed walk-around area is a little tighter.

Good luck!
Jay Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 05:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the insight Jay!
So you installed an “extra” box in front of the original lower box?
Did you try sitting on the bed prior to the addition?
Which 10” mattress? I am looking for firm mattress…
Thx! Bill
Old 04-27-2024, 09:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I extended (rebuilt) my lid and used a 60x80x8" mattress from Juno.ca. Wonderful setup, very happy with it.

Details here: https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3949879
eatSleepWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 10:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Wolf, is tat a hybrid firm mattress?
Bill
Old 04-28-2024, 10:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmlunt View Post
Thanks Wolf, is tat a hybrid firm mattress?
Bill
The manufacturer seems to make a generic, one-size-fits-all product, and doesn't offer firmness options.

I like a mattress on the firm side (my back issues basically require that), and this mattress seemed way too soft when it came in. That said, they offer something like a 120-day trial period and free returns, so I decided to give it a shot. Both my wife and I found it surprisingly comfortable.

The top layer seems (and is) soft, but once you lay down, it actually does a great job of supporting your body. Not at all like memory-foam toppers, which add softness, but no real support. So far we've spent 4 nights on it and have no complaints at all.

It's definitely softer than our home mattress, but it was also 1/5th of the cost, and is only 8" vs (~14") in height. And given that there are no springs inside, it's also a fraction of the weight.

I don't think I'd recommend this for a full-time mattress, as I suspect that heavy, long-term usage will affect the mattress foam/material, but for occasional, recreational use in a trailer? Absolutely.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:29 PM   #7
Micro Traveler

Bill. My box / extension for the bed is the original 47.75" wide x 20.375" high. The new ply box opening faces the rear of the camper, to hold three wicker-type baskets for storage. BTW, I cut-back the original under-bed storage area to accommodate the new 12" x 12" wicker baskets, figuring I would rarely be using the new / heavier-mattress under-bed storage.

Also, I increased the length and width of the new hinged ply platform to be only 1" less than the actual mattress dimensions, so sitting on the edge of the bed would give support to the edge of the mattress but not so a knee would get scraped when rubbing up next to the mattress.

Recommending a particular mattress would be like recommending a wife ... every person's tastes differ! I would have preferred an 8" deep mattress, allowing more room to access either side of the bed's "night table". However, my fav mattress shop only had one 10" in stock, that my back & hips loved. Wasn't going to take a chance ordering something different which I could not try first.

I would include photos, but don't think I am smart enough to know how to attach to these posts!
Jay Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 12:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

For what it's worth, my under-mattress platform was sized exactly the way Jay described - 1/2" to 1" shorter than the mattress. And his comment about mattress thickness and reaching into bedside tables is also spot on - that was a key reason I went with an 8" thickness. I mostly sleep on my stomach or side, so I need room to extend my arms into the bedside area. A thick mattress would prevent that (thanks for Winnebago's utterly stupid design of the area).
Old 04-28-2024, 06:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks guys!
If I were to recommend a wife everyone would want mine, and that ain’t happening’.
I can’t really find a mattress to try so I guess I’m gonna gamble on the 6” firm from Brooklyn Bedding. I like the inner spring one, but not the 105 lbs weight. We really need that storage under the bed.
I will extend the board underneath the mattress to start. I might add the extension to the current storage box at a later time, or maybe I can make it using drop off from the new plywood sheet coupled with the old board, just need to think of a design that would be useful to me… maybe shoe rack or shallow drawers maybe…
At least 45 degree gussets would be simple for now, attached to the bottom of the platform…
Thx! Bill