Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM   #1
Andy May

Tow bar and brake system for toad

Hello, we have a 2012 Win Adventure 35P V10 and just purchased a 2003 Jeep TJ 2 dr for a toad. (Jeep only has 14,000 miles, mint) What kind of tow bar and brake system do you have experience with or recommend and are you pulling similar?
Open to thoughts. Im not very computer savvy, I tried doing a search to no avail.
Thanking you in advance,
Andy May
ATONOFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 03:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Blue Ox. The tow bar is easy to use. I looked at Roadmaster but think the Blue Ox design is better. I have the Blue Ox braking system that goes on the floor in front of the drivers seat, only when towing. Cumbersome and large, but does the job.

Here's a link to one supplier of baseplates so you can tow your jeep 4 down (the only way to tow IMO). Best check with them to be sure one of the offered models will fit your Jeep. Tow Plate...

Note eTrailer also has wiring kits and umbilical for the brake lights and turn signals.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 04:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Check out the NSA ReadyBrake system. It's entirely mechanical, doesn't rely on electricity, electronics or vacuum. Plus, there's nothing to take in and out of your toad as with many braking systems.

They sell a towbars with an integrated braking system:

Aluminum- https://nsarvproducts.com/collection...brute-elite-ii

Steel- https://nsarvproducts.com/collection...les-rv-tow-bar

Or, if you're just interested in the braking system:

https://nsarvproducts.com/collection...l-brake-system

Be aware that, in both cases, you'll need to buy their emergency breakaway kit:

https://nsarvproducts.com/collection...break-away-kit

I have the stand-alone braking system that I use with a Blue Ox towbar and am very happy with it.

I'm not up on current prices but they've always been less expensive than most of the other options. I really like the 100% mechanical design and the fact that there's nothing to take in and out of your toad. From what I've read in similar posts, those who own them love them and have few, if any problems.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 05:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

JIC your Jeep needs a different or new front bumper, this is the place: https://www.rockhard4x4.com/Jeep_Wra...pers_s/383.htm
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 07:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Patriot Brake System

I have a brand new unopened Blue Ox Patriot Brake system for sale. 1 paid just over 1900.00 w/tax, willing to sell for 1700. I am choosing to trailer my GMC instead of flat towing it.
RudeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 05:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Tow system

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATONOFUN View Post
Hello, we have a 2012 Win Adventure 35P V10 and just purchased a 2003 Jeep TJ 2 dr for a toad. (Jeep only has 14,000 miles, mint) What kind of tow bar and brake system do you have experience with or recommend and are you pulling similar?
Open to thoughts. Im not very computer savvy, I tried doing a search to no avail.
Thanking you in advance,
Andy May
I’ve used RVi break system for years for my Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk and love it. I use Blue Ox hitch to connect to the car which had to be set up for it. Quick and easy to set up and take off.
Nmdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 06:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I agree with BobC. The Readybrute/Readybrake with the integrated mechanical brake is cheaper and easier to use. That’s what I have for my 2004 Jeep Wrangler and it has worked great.

2004 Winnebago Journey 32T
JR314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, toad, tow