Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New Old Journey to Home

Just returned to MD from Lazydays with our '02 Winnebago 36LD. First real experience with a DP. While it is nicer, still not like being pushed by the breath of angels. But we like it. A lot. Some issues, of course. Nothing bad ever rears it's head on the dealer lot. The HWH did show a reluctance to retract all together all the time, but now the slide portion of the pump is leaking. Something is leaking under that mess of pumps, wires and hoses. And the air system decided to play with me: low air buzzer, front air gauge dancing around. We had suspension, brakes and a schedule, so motored on. After a while, it fixed itself. More research required. Speaking of research, the coach has air fittings in the rear wheel wells labeled "T-3 Anti-Rock", from 3T Products in Van Nuys, CA. Also large front shocks, yellow, with a label from the same folks. Have to find out what that is all about. At this stage, we have way more questions than answers. But we like it. A lot.
blevtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The problem with the air pressure may well be a problem with the computer. A lot of them in your era chassis suffered from cold solder joints. Many have been able to repair the problem without replacing the computer.

FWIW, the computer on your coach should be located in the engine compartment under the bed on a crossmember. It will have a lot of wires going to it as well as two air lines from the tanks in the front.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

You might want to consider joining the Winnebago chat on Tuesday evenings at 8 pm CDT. There are several folks that own Journeys that participate. I have learned a lot from asking questions in this chat.
Mr_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

3 T's is located in Lake Havasu City, Az 1-800-223-1779, an authorized Winnebago repair facility and can probably answer any questions about their products an/ or anything else you might have questions about. The owner, Paul Smith is directly affiliated with Winnebago Industries and is given new rigs to wring out and report on. John Visser, the GM and his staff are well qualified.

Welcome to the Winnie Family.

Don. 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Intermittent front air gauge is most likely a known problem with the VDC (vehicle data computer) black box in the engine compartment. It can be repaired (I can send you a detailed article to make the repair if you are handy with a soldering iron if you like). However, guessing that Lazy Days gave you some sort of warranty so suggest you make them pay for a replacement (the part is about $400 from Freightliner and takes about one hr to R&R).

Tell us more about what specific problem you had with your slides. There should be no hydraulic fluid leaking from your pump/manifold area unless there is a hose or fitting leaking or perhaps the reservoir was overfilled. If the reservoir was topped off with the jacks down, raising the jacks will push fluid back into the reservoir and it will overflow.

Bill's suggestion to join the Winnebago chat on Tuesday evenings at 9pm EDT is a good one. We have lot's of Winne owners who will help you.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

No real problem with the slides, other than the leak. Noticed it during my walk-around the second night we slept over during the run back home. The first night, we only extended the bedroom slide, and I noticed no leakage. The jacks we didn't use, because I knew there was an issue with retraction on the left rear. It can be pushed up with a pry bar. Springs? Any information on the erratic air gauge would be appreciated.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevtr View Post
No real problem with the slides, other than the leak. Noticed it during my walk-around the second night we slept over during the run back home. The first night, we only extended the bedroom slide, and I noticed no leakage. The jacks we didn't use, because I knew there was an issue with retraction on the left rear. It can be pushed up with a pry bar. Springs? Any information on the erratic air gauge would be appreciated.
Regarding erratic air gauge...as noted in my post above:

Intermittent front air gauge is most likely a known problem with the VDC (vehicle data computer) black box in the engine compartment. It can be repaired (I can send you a detailed article to make the repair if you are handy with a soldering iron if you like). However, guessing that Lazy Days gave you some sort of warranty so suggest you make them pay for a replacement (the part is about $400 from Freightliner and takes about one hr to R&R).

Slow retracting RR jack could be weak springs. Again, suggest you get Lazy Days to pay for some new springs from HWH. Also, you can fully extend the jack, spray the cylinder with WD-40 and that can sometimes help.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

So is the VDC a Freightliner or Cat or Winnebago issue? I want to get some sort of baseline, as I have no maintenance records. Don't want to go to RV shop if I can avoid it: it's a truck issue and I want truck wrenches on it. I normally do my own maintenance, and I hate to just throw money at a problem. Need to save my money to buy fuel.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
So is the VDC a Freightliner or Cat or Winnebago issue? I want to get some sort of baseline, as I have no maintenance records. Don't want to go to RV shop if I can avoid it: it's a truck issue and I want truck wrenches on it. I normally do my own maintenance, and I hate to just throw money at a problem. Need to save my money to buy fuel.
The VDC is a Freightliner issue. It is a Freightliner part. Just curious, does Lazy Days offer any warranty on used rigs? If so, would they not pay for the new VDC?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

New Old Journey

Yes, there is a 30 day warranty, and we already have permission to have the jacks worked on. I just need to get up to speed on all that needs to be done and the best place to have it done. I thought about Speedco for lube and filters, but if I need to hit a Freightliner place anyhow..... And now I read about issues on the filters: one 2 micron or a 10 micron and then a 2 micron, depending on the year of the chassis. I need to crawl around with a flashlight and rags and just look. Previous owners have installed a T-3 Anti-Rock, what else is under this girl that will amaze me? Naturally, it is raining to beat the band, so crawling around will involve flotation devices. I expect to get greasy and skin some knuckles, the only thing I ever bought used that didn't need work was an anvil.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Most likely you have a hydraulic fluid leak from one of the fittings on the HWH system. Not an unusual problem. May require a new fitting or a hose.

If it's not leaking bad just make sure your reservoir is topped off and the system should work. If it's puddling on the ground, now that's another issue.

Since it's under a 30 day warranty I'd have it looked at. Probably an easy fix.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thats what I'm hoping. Put a pan under the unit, clean it off, then cycle the slides, check it, then cycle the jacks, check it again. Don't know how long the coach sat unused, start from now, establish base, then run back here and ask questions.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:43 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Regarding the 3T equipment on your coach...those folks in Nevada have a reputation for doing good work, especially on suspension/handling improvements. If the coach drove and rode well and had minimal back and forth rocking when entering/exiting parking lots, you can attribute much of that to the folks at 3T's.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

New old Journey

I don't have enough seat time in other DP coaches to compare, but this one does seem smooth and straight. I'm not sure how much of that is the 3-T setup. The front includes some hefty shocks and a hydraulic steering stabilizer, along with some strap iron reinforcements. The rear seems to be two rather scrawny air shocks, I have not checked yet to see if they have any air pressure - recommends 30 to 100 lbs. At the higher pressure, I'm not sure the shock mounts are strong enough. The 3-T web site didn't go into the dynamics much, maybe you have more information. Do you have this system on your coach?
Old 04-09-2011, 06:18 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I don't have enough seat time in other DP coaches to compare, but this one does seem smooth and straight. I'm not sure how much of that is the 3-T setup. The front includes some hefty shocks and a hydraulic steering stabilizer, along with some strap iron reinforcements. The rear seems to be two rather scrawny air shocks, I have not checked yet to see if they have any air pressure - recommends 30 to 100 lbs. At the higher pressure, I'm not sure the shock mounts are strong enough. The 3-T web site didn't go into the dynamics much, maybe you have more information. Do you have this system on your coach?
I don't have the 3T system but I have added a bunch of enhancements to tame the Freightliner chassis; Koni FSD shocks, Safe T Plus steering stabilizer, Supersteer bell crank, and the Supersteer motion control units on the air bags. The folks at 3T's are very helpful though. Their website explains their handling package/s.

http://www.3tsrv.com/