Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2008, 05:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Just wondered if anyone has replaced the exterior radio/CD player on a Sightseer? Ours has started coming on all by itself this past summer and can not be turned off. Therefore, when we go to bed at night or are driving, we have to turn the volumn down all the way in order to sleep. It appears to be a regular "in dash car radio" that we should be able to purchase at an electronics store, such as Best Buy?? Any problems with replacement? Any advice or instructions? Thank you!
SewBzzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Just wondered if anyone has replaced the exterior radio/CD player on a Sightseer? Ours has started coming on all by itself this past summer and can not be turned off. Therefore, when we go to bed at night or are driving, we have to turn the volumn down all the way in order to sleep. It appears to be a regular "in dash car radio" that we should be able to purchase at an electronics store, such as Best Buy?? Any problems with replacement? Any advice or instructions? Thank you!
SewBzzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I haven't replaced it yet. But if using a cleaning disk doesn't fix the problem with the CD player I will be.

I did look through the Winnebago bag and locate the removal tools they included.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Ours was coming on by surprise also. It turns out we were storing the empty cd case in there and we think it was hitting the power button. Also check the remote control that the buttons aren't being pushed or stuck down.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I replaced my Jensen exterior radio.

I bought a Panasonic at Walmart. It was a poor choice because even when it was off it was drawing current ... so I had to install a switch to disconnect the power.

Knowing what I know now ... I would have selected a different radio ... one that does not draw power when it is off ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Somewhere along the couple years of ownership the outside stereo started doing some similar things. Mostly when turning the coach 12v power on after being off the radio comes on and all I hear is static.

Also reception has gone from average to poor.

Plus the white board that holds it cracked, well at least the plastic covering did.

I plan on yanking the stereo this winter, look to replace it with one with a USB jack and/or iPod interface. As we really don't use CDs anymore. I'll also fix the board and put in a kill switch so I know the stereo is off.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I pulled mine to replace the fuse. It is a standard auto radio, and removal is simple. I think it could easily be replaced if needed. I did contact the radio manufacturer (it escapes me at the moment) and they were very helpful on the phone, and help me find this rather unique fuse. Might call them before going to the expense of replacing the unit.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The difference on my 99 Adventurer is that the outside radio is a "marine" radio. The circuitry is "coated" so that it can get damp/wet. That being said, mine is a cassette deck - I plan on putting a standard "car" radio with CD/MP3 capabilities there.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:18 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mickey53usa:
The difference on my 99 Adventurer is that the outside radio is a "marine" radio. The circuitry is "coated" so that it can get damp/wet. That being said, mine is a cassette deck - </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Mine too, I like the on/off knob as it is the old fashion kind that you have to acutally turn it (click) to turn on or off. Just a cassette tape player although.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

On my 2000 Suncruiser 35u, I have a pioneer am/fm/cd outside entertainment center. It is obviously just a standard car stereo which should be an easy swap. If I pull my drawer beneath the fridge out, I have full access to the backside even though I don't think I would need that if I replaced mine.

It has not been going on and off so I have not replaced it.

However, my stock Sony cassette deck in the dash went into the garbage last year.

I went to Circuit City and got a Sony model that has a front usb port, if I had a thumbdrive with songs on it. It also has an attached IPOD cable which is what I use 99 percent of the time. Many other radios make you buy an additional cable.

The other feature I really wanted was a remote control. While driving it is quite a long reach to make adjustments to the radio. I just use velcro on my remote and when I am driving I just grab the remote, change the song, and stick the remote right next to the wheel. The remote also works from the back of the coach.

Circuit City did have free install on this but I didn't want to manuever my rig in the little space that CC is in and I knew I could do the install myself. What I did do instead is have them cut, splice and resolder all the wires coming off the back of the radio, to match up with the harness I brought in for my rig. This was inplace of my install. I only had to cut a hole out in the dash, install the bracket and plug in the harness they prepared. It has been great ever since. I now have balance and fade controls that I did not have with the stock radio and surround sound system.
livingaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I too had a problem with my exterior radio coming on by itself, but it was after driving in a terrible rain storm. Had it replaced under warranty and went thru another downpour and it started again. I did a little investigating on my own and found that there is a rubber tray underneath the refrigerator that is supposed to catch any water from the fridge. That tray is right on top of the radio and the drain tube that is supposed to drain the water to the ground was stopped up. Probably by spiders or mud dobbers. Anyway after cleaning it out with a stiff rod, I haven't had any more problems. Oh, by the way, I have a 2004 Itasca Suncruiser.
Cherokee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem on my 2003 Suncruiser. The radio was a Jensen. I finally installed a small on/off switch on the white panel and that solved the problem. Back in 2003, I contacted Winnebago and they had never heard of the problem.
Suncruiser Ron is offline   Reply With Quote