Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-16-2020, 08:13 AM   #21
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeminnie View Post
In my observation, all the low-cost alternatives use prismatic cells, and are assembled in China. While manufacturing consistency has improved, in general cylindrical-cell-based batteries such as BB and Relion are said to be safer, more reliable, and longer-lasting - particularly in hot environments. Unless you can get 100aH with a BMS at less than $500, I'd stick with BB. Check out the sizeable BB discounts for Escapees RV Club members.
Relion has had prismatic cell batteries for about a year now. They are found in their InSight series, available today in 48 volt, but have advertised future availability in 24 and 12 volt. Time will tell if they will produce in those voltages as their current market for them is the golf cart industry. Some other well known battery manufacturers are producing prismatic cell batteries today and time will tell about their safety and reliability.

Heat buildup is the major issue with them because of their packing density and therefore smaller size per amp hour capacity. If you don't charge or discharge them over .5C, which is significant and not very likely in an RV environment, then heat buildup should not be an issue for the RV user. As for reliability, we'll see.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:15 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Battle Born made in USA (Nevada) and excellent warranty !!
az wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:05 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Relion has had prismatic cell batteries for about a year now. They are found in their InSight series, available today in 48 volt, but have advertised future availability in 24 and 12 volt. Time will tell if they will produce in those voltages as their current market for them is the golf cart industry. Some other well known battery manufacturers are producing prismatic cell batteries today and time will tell about their safety and reliability.

Heat buildup is the major issue with them because of their packing density and therefore smaller size per amp hour capacity. If you don't charge or discharge them over .5C, which is significant and not very likely in an RV environment, then heat buildup should not be an issue for the RV user. As for reliability, we'll see.
My RB100-LT (12V) Relion data sheet says I have cylindrical cells. Purchased last Fall in Barrie. FWIW, maybe not much?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:04 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

I had one Battle Born 100 amp battery. I wished to add more capacity and discussed this with Battle Born (who have very knowledgable techs). They needed to know exactly when I bought the battery, and how much use it had (I was using Victron monitor and kept data). Then they were able to match the set up in my Victron Multiplus 2000/85 inverter for charging profile etc.

I would not attempt to use other brands. Each battery company will have slightly different setups on the Battery Management Systems. Too much at stake with such high power and rapid discharge batteries.

Even for flooded lead acid batty banks, I use the same age, same brand and same capacity batteries.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:56 AM   #25
WinnieAdven38

In my 2005 Winnebago Adventurer I have 400 aH of Lithium - 1 BB 100aH, and a 300aH battery bank of Winston LiFePO4 - commercial grade batteries.

For the Winston I had to manually add a battery cell balancer board, as well as a Victron low voltage shut off. But I simply wired the 2 batteries in parallel and everything works great. The BB has built-in protections so I do not really worry about it. Not that I worry about the Winstons either. Both are mostly charged from my 600w solar system - with occasional gen or engine charging. I monitor both through a Victron 713 Battery Monitor.

I see no problems in mixing battery brands if wired in parallel, as they then work together as 1 battery bank, supplying power or charging as needed. And the batteries self-balance automatically. By that I mean that when wired in parallel they work together automatically to maintain the same voltage.

In my experience having 2 totally different batteries - though both LiFePO4 - has worked great. They simply function as 1 total battery bank.

I would never mix batteries of different chemistries, but I see no problem otherwise. But since you have 1 BB already you should see what discounts they offer. I know they offer RV show discounts, Black Friday discounts, etc.. Not sure how much you can really save on other brands, but if you do mix brands be sure to get another quality brand - I have heard that there are some iffy Chinese made batteries out there.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery