Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-17-2020, 05:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Sequence to disconnect and clean house batteries

Because of corrosion, I need to disconnect my house batteries (deep cycle lead acid) and clean the terminals. I am totally paranoid about this, would like someone to lay out the sequence of things so I don’t screw anything up. Everything from what to disconnect first to what to reconnect last. Manuals aren’t much help, they assume I know things that I don’t.
mitchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Oh yeah, my coach is a 2015 Itasca Sunstar 36Y.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Step one of working around batteries is knowing how to avoid sparks!
The best way is to start with the assumption that you may slip enough when being careful, so do a few things to protect against the slips that will happen if you do it often enough.
Step one is to open any battery cutoff switches your RV has. That reduces the chance of any large power being drawn. Reduces the chance of large arcing when cables are removed.
Step two is to place some form of insulation cover between where your tools will be and anything metal. This cover doesn't have to be anything specific or great, just enough to keep something like the end of a wrench from touching metal like the edge of the battery box, clamps, etc. One of the handier things to use are lots of thick rags as they are easy to tuck in around things but still be back out of the way. Tape them if you need but not often necessary. For a new guy, just pretty well cover everything metal except the battery posts!
Learn to never let go of a wrench near the battery and certainly do not lay the wrench on the battery top! They get into the wrong places.
Then when ready, remove the negative cable first. Once that is off and metal contact is out of the question, the circuit is dead and you can go to work without worry of shocks or flashes from arcing.
Clean any loose junk off the batteries, wipe any traces off that go from the posts outward, then check the water levels and top off up to the rings down inside the cell openings. Don't overfill, just up to those rings as you don't want water and acid to bubble out to ruin your corrosion cleaning. Clean the posts and cables and put them back, positive first then negative. If some form of anti- corrosion is on hand, use it. I like one called No-Ox which is a paste that is really nice to rub on after it is heated just a bit to melt it slightly. . I lay it on a trouble light for a few minutes to heat! If air doesn't get to things, they don't corrode as much so worth the effort.
Replace all cables, check for tight but don't try to kill things too tight. Remove rags and test it all.
I taught power to folks who had never been techs and only knew keyboards and typewriters before becoming outside techs, so you can do it without doubt. Just stay a bit nervous and that keeps you thinking and safe.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Just checking

I am guessing when you reference cutoff switches you are talking about the switch in the stairwell for the chassis battery and the cutoff switch by the inverter for the house, yes? Also guessing I should unplug from pedestal.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchoe View Post
I am guessing when you reference cutoff switches you are talking about the switch in the stairwell for the chassis battery and the cutoff switch by the inverter for the house, yes? Also guessing I should unplug from pedestal.
Yes, on all. Not necessarily required but just smarter to cut down on anything that might increase the risk. sometimes changes are made to Rv and somebody "might " have run a 110 AC lead through close by, so pulling the plug cuts that and also any charging that might be going on. Batteries make fumes and they can get thick enough to burn, so keeping sparks down is good for preventing that as well as arcing to hurt us.
Cuts the jitters a bit to know there is not big power coming to surprise us!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Great, thank you much. I know how damaging that stuff can be if you let it go, now I can get on it with more confidence.👍
Old 07-17-2020, 09:49 PM   #7
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I’d just add to Morich’s excellent post, 1st, put on safety glasses...
Old 07-18-2020, 07:50 AM   #8
Site Team

How about wearing some gloves, too.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:15 PM   #9
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
How about wearing some gloves, too.
Good point. That would help protect one too, if they forgot to take off any rings and watches. I’ve seen pictures of rather nasty burns that way.

Tags
batteries, house batteries