Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement Heat enough till when?

We have a 40' DP with a heated basement. Would like to extend our rving season till say 1st week of January.We would like to visit family in Tenn. after Christmas. We're in South Jersey. Can I just set the tstat to like 60 and the basement will keep from freezing.
cmpncrsaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

That's what I do. I live in mine. It gets below freezing alot here in the high desert. I am gone to work all day. I set it to 50* F.

Sleeping I set it to 60* F.

No problems.

I also put electric heat wrap pipe tape on my fresh-water hose, and covered that with those swim noodles for insulation.

WRAP-ON - Pipe Heating Cable
Old 10-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr300ce View Post
That's what I do. I live in mine. It gets below freezing alot here in the high desert. I am gone to work all day. I set it to 50* F.

Sleeping I set it to 60* F.

No problems.

I also put electric heat wrap pipe tape on my fresh-water hose, and covered that with those swim noodles for insulation.

WRAP-ON - Pipe Heating Cable
Note that they caution against using on hoses, use only on metal and rigid plastic. This is a real fire hazard.

Warning: This cable has been designed for the sole purpose of preventing metal and rigid plastic water filled lines from freezing. DO NOT use this product on fuel lines, drain lines, hoses or buried pipes. Fiberglass pipe wrap is required to complete the installation. Read and follow all instructions. Cables are available in various lengths. See chart to determine the length required for your application.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #4

We have basment heat in our Ultimate, #1 It is the most expensive heat available;;; #2 It is not efficent to warm up after you have been chilled. #3 if the temp; outside drops below 40 deg; the Gas/propane will kick in;; WE have guests come and vist us we have power, available however I state At evch plug; No Electric heaters; No electric blankets No air conditioners. Just for Frig and regular battery maintinance. and the occasional Corlers for the WIFE ;; We do not charge for the power; Over Labor day weekend we had 17 coaches here; An 2;oo O clock in the morning the circuet Blew;; One OF the stupid <_-_-_-_ had his Basement heat turned of. His excuse was well nobody would be drawing any current at that time.. It tripped the 30 amp braker;; Now the Propane Draws 4/5 amps the basement heat draws over 30 amps.. When asked not to Why would he do it.... ??? I don't understand Why anyone With a furnace would use the Heat pump... It's a total waste of electricity;; and the replacement cost of the basement air is near $4000.00 dollers. Propane costs $3.00 per gallon The gas furnace that last forever cost $500.00. Someone needs to pass out some calculaters;;;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #5

To the origenal question. We use our Ultimate For snowmobiling As we did the Vectra; we would set the furnace at 58 degrees when we were not in the coach. NO HOOKUPS;; We run the gen 1/2 hour in the morning and in the evening, We have 3 32 batteries , One time it got down to 37 below the bathroom water line was frozen Kitchen sink OK. The fellow parked next to us had a Safari He came and barrowed water from us. , Anyway at your temp settings You will be just fine to about 15/20 degrees, You will not freeze, your winnie likes some cool weather sometimes. it kills the bugs.. life is good
Old 10-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have a remote thermometer sending unit in the service bay so I can tell the temperature---a good way to see for your self the effective range of your basement heating.

They are not expensive and widely available.

Mine stays 10 degrees colder than the in MH temperature basically.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

On my 2006 Itasca, the basement is heated; however, the bay where the water pump is located is a separate fiberglass compartment and is not. I bought a cheap (Wal-Mart $9.99) thermostat with remote and mounted it in the bay. When it's forecast to drop below freezing, I place a trouble light with 100 watt bulb in the bay. In temperatures down to 20 degrees, the light has kept the temperature in the high 30s. Check your water bay, it may not be heated.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I also leave my cabinet doors open under the sinks to allow heat to circulate to the waterlines.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Don't forget to check your LP level frequently ... the furnace consumes a lot of fuel when the temps are in the teens and lower
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
Note that they caution against using on hoses, use only on metal and rigid plastic. This is a real fire hazard.

Warning: This cable has been designed for the sole purpose of preventing metal and rigid plastic water filled lines from freezing. DO NOT use this product on fuel lines, drain lines, hoses or buried pipes. Fiberglass pipe wrap is required to complete the installation. Read and follow all instructions. Cables are available in various lengths. See chart to determine the length required for your application.
What I use is not that exact brand, but similar. I researched it out, and concluded that the heat tape never gets that hot. Thats why I put the swim noodles on. I used my lazer temp gage and found that it gets the temp up to about 40*, then cycles back off. The hose never even gets "warm" water to come out of it. It just keeps it from freezing.

I feel safe.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:25 AM   #11

If the coach is plug into power; We found the best thing.was get a heat cube . It is a plug that turns on at 32 degrees Then I plug a 60 watt light in And don't worry; It will cone on when it gets cold enough to Freeze. Each cube can take 2 lights. One at the pump, and one at the waterheater;;I use a lot on them in our rental houses.. They work just fine;;life is good;
Old 10-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Hi Bachler,
I tried a search for 'heat cube' and only found heaters. Can you offer a source for finding the heat cube plug you described?

Bill
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #13

I get mine At Ether home depot or at lowes; Just tell them you want a plug that goes into the 120 plug and you can plug a light into it. One store sells one that has one plug in, the other sells one that has two pluging in it. In our rentals we have several heat lamps; That are aimed at the pipe intersections, They also help keep the floor warm; In the House or RV.. OH they will send you to the plumbing ,they it's oops you need to go to the Electrical, Then it's to the heat wrap;; Don't give up; Because You can plug it in and leave it. It only comes on if the temp. drops below 30something degrees.. Good luck Life is good;;
Old 10-20-2011, 05:12 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thanks. I may have trouble finding these in Florida, but will try. I will keep looking online, too.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Found it on Amazon - Thermo Cube.

http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovator.../dp/B0006U2HD2
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote