Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-11-2023, 10:06 PM   #21
Ak Mike

K3

He’s a character! Hopefully he’ll behave when traveling!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1D47EA70-2D4E-4C77-8447-6AE3FCA6C076.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	186945  
Ak Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 10:22 PM   #22
Site Team

Hi Mike,
I believe Grace is in love! She is going to dream about Kobuk all night long.
Kobuk looks like a great dog, to be sure.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 08-14-2023, 10:50 PM   #23
Ak Mike

I got confirmation that my bank funds arrived at the dealership today! Hopefully, they will expedite the MSO to my bank so I can get plates before we leave but I'm sure we can get a temp if DMV is slow...and they're almost always slow! I also ordered a rear camera; I did the research on the "rear camera prep" that is on the Micro Minnie and it's really nothing more than the power wiring tapped into the running lights..at least that's how I understand it. So, I shopped around for a rear camera and I found some really inexpensive set ups...and they all required an 'extra' screen to view what's going on directly behind the trailer. I really wanted to take advantage of GM's 'transparent trailer' technology and utilize the GM system so I bit the bullet and bought the overpriced GM camera...hard wired and connects directly to my truck via a couple of video input jacks just above the trailer connector. And, all I need to do is hook it up and do the calibration process to get the transparent trailer view on my screen. (I hope it's as easy as I think it should be....). My next task is to find out if the Micro Minnie TPMS system 'prep' includes the tire pressure sensors or if I need to put those in...which means busting down the tire to replace the valve stems. I already have four of the TPMS valve stems that came with my max trailering package so if I need to put those in, it's just a bit of grunt work on my part. I'll need to pick up the TPMS tool so I can convince my Tahoe where the TPMS sensors are...yet another calibration process, eh? Next task is to decide what tools I want to take along with me on the trip. Obviously, my big Snap-On box won't quite fit but it sure would be nice to have everything I could possibly need! I'm thinking I'll plan like I'm headed out on a bike trip and limit the space for tools. Multimeter for sure, duct tape, zip ties, pliers, drill, etc. etc. And a hammer! I really like a good dead blow hammer to convince those stubborn items! : ) And my little Forester axe, some paracord, a blue tarp (I hate working in the mud...), my bottle jack, maybe even my electric impact wrench. So much for limiting my tools! Some sheet rock screws, staplegun, soldering iron, sawzall....maybe my big magnet to find those little parts I dropped in the gravel...a tire plug kit, air compressor, tow strap, come-along, climbing rope....haha!
Old 08-14-2023, 11:22 PM   #24
Site Team

Hi Mike,
Sheet rock screws, etc.? Very funny.
The one item I didn't see you mention was a mounted spare tire for the trailer. Does it come with one?
With the funds now transferred, it is getting pretty exciting.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 08-15-2023, 07:52 AM   #25
Ak Mike

It comes with a spare tire….so do I BTW!�� I always end up packing more than I need! We had a friend that carried all kinds of spares on his boat (including head gaskets!). Another friend used an entirely different approach, the only thing he carried was a good VHF radio! I’m somewhere in between I think. The nice part about being on land is that I can get out and walk if we break down….couldn’t do that as easily with the boat or the plane!
Old 08-20-2023, 10:53 AM   #26
Ak Mike

Six days to go and we launch! Not without some trepidaton of course, our ferry has been grounded by the Coast Guard all week; hopefully they'll get it fixed and back in service by this coming Friday! Then we get to play fire hopscotch through Canada...I found a good app to track the fires so we can avoid those areas (although my planned trip home gets uncomfortably close to some of them...) Might have to go to option 2. As I make final preparations, I think I need to develop a preflight checklist and am wondering if there's already something out there that I could shamelessly plagarize? What do you all use?
Old 08-20-2023, 01:45 PM   #27
Site Team

Hi Mike,
I recommend that you buy some Carbon Filter Fabric and add that to your truck's cabin air filter, and also install it on the intake-side of your trailer's roof air conditioner:
Carbon Filter Fabric in a 22M
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 08-20-2023, 01:51 PM   #28
Ak Mike

Outstanding suggestion!! I'll search around to see if I can find it locally as there won't be enough time for it to get here before we leave. If I can't find it here, I'll be on the lookout for it when we get further south....do you know what stores it could be found in by any chance? Thanks! Mike
Old 08-20-2023, 01:57 PM   #29
Site Team

Hi Mike,
Sorry; I ordered it from Amazon.
You could order it from Amazon and have it delivered to where your trailer will be picked-up. At least that way you would have it for the return trip.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 08-22-2023, 09:48 PM   #30
Ak Mike

Yahoo! The ferry is back in service so our 'boat ride to a road' is still a go! There are really only a few 'items' that can put a serious stop to this trip, the ferry and the border crossing are two things that we really have no option 2 to exercise. That and the Alcan being the only road south until we get to Dawson Creek (then we have some choices!) We're watching the fires in Canada and Washington state pretty closely but it's looking like Hurricane Hilary might be pushing some moisture over the hills to help out. I found an app "BC Fires" that helps us track some of the fires around the Kelowna area that will help us in route planning. Ah, the joys of travel! Look for more posts as we head out on Friday...providing I can get internet!
Old 08-23-2023, 09:26 AM   #31
Site Team

Old 08-24-2023, 09:57 AM   #32
Ak Mike

Packing day! We're doing all the last minute stuff today including getting the pup's health certificate as we have four border crossings for the round trip planned. We're taking the most direct route to the midwest although if I had more time, we'd certainly cruise through Jasper and Banff parks, they are spectacular and we never get tired of them! Some years back, we did a 100th Anniversary National Parks tour on our CanAm Spyder and our favorites are Jasper, Banff, Bryce Canyon and the California Redwoods. Some of the other parks were crowded and busy so that takes away from our 'desired' experience. Yellowstone is always fun even with the crowds and we did skip on Grand Canyon that trip because it was over 100F! Speaking of heat, I don't imagine we'll be all that comfortable in the midwest as they're in the middle of a heat wave (although it's supposed to be in the mid 80's by the time we'll get there!) It's going to take us a bit to acclimatize for sure! We'll give the Tahoe and the Micro Minnie air conditioners a workout! We head out on the ferry bright and early tomorrow and I'll post when I can!
Old 08-24-2023, 10:59 PM   #33
Site Team

Hi Mike,
We are getting a Nor'easter wind today, and it hit 86ºF, which is hot for South Bend. Grace & I did a short hop in the Eagle5 and I ran the generator to keep the cabin A/C going (and our carbon filter filtering.) She gets uncomfortable at anything over 70ºF. Even down here, I can smell the wood smoke, but also with an acrid smell; current air level is now 71, which is a yellow moderate warning.
Hopefully, your trip will have clean air and smooth sailing.
Eagle5
Old 08-25-2023, 07:26 AM   #34
Ak Mike

Thanks Eagle5! We’re up bright and early this morning….maybe not so bright but plenty early! Off to the ferry, had to dodge a porcupine this morning but otherwise uneventful trip to the ferry. We’re checked in and sitting in the queue waiting to board. Calm out today, low 50’s and some clouds. Should be a smooth sail to Skagway!

Name:	F6F03670-3458-4FF5-8C13-6DB5A3A97D16.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	403.6 KB
ID:	187075

Name:	UNTITLED.gif
Views:	31
Size:	965.6 KB
ID:	187095
Old 08-25-2023, 10:26 PM   #35
Ak Mike

Long day but the roads were decent, traffic was pretty light, we made it to Watson Lake just at sunset. Only saw one bear and I think we killed about 1/2 the bugs in Canada! We got just over 23 MPG today, Tahoe is running good! I’m sure the Micro Minnie won’t do my gas bill any favors! Nice ride on the ferry too!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	73A27AEC-72C5-471F-86BC-26DBD58DD97A.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	187080  
Old 08-25-2023, 11:50 PM   #36
Site Team

I like the Lighthouse!
Old 08-26-2023, 09:38 PM   #37
Ak Mike

Good run today, weather cooperated! Roads were really pretty decent and we made good time. We left Watson Lake a bit later than planned as we had to stop at the sign forest! And left our ‘mark’! Lots of critters both large and tiny! We hit the bugs and missed the buffalo! Bears, caribou, elk & even a coyote today! Made camp tonight at Grande Prairie and heading for Saskatoon in the morning!

Views:	30
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	187092

Name:	UNTITLED2.gif
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	187093

Name:	UNTITLED3.gif
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	187094
Old 08-27-2023, 07:42 PM   #38
Ak Mike

Saskatoon tonight!

Another good day, some smoke/haze but no serious issues! Traffic was fairly light, we spent most of the day on divided 4 lanes cruising at (almost) legal speed. We gave it up a little early to get some food and rest. Kobuk is traveling well but you would think he had to do all the driving! Tired little pup! 😁

Views:	38
Size:	714.0 KB
ID:	187091
Old 08-27-2023, 09:27 PM   #39
Site Team

Hi Mike,
I rotated the sideways images, following creativepart's instructions. I needed the practice!
Glad all is going well and have a great night's rest.
Eagle5
Old 08-29-2023, 07:15 PM   #40
Ak Mike

Awesome thanks Eagle 5!
I didn’t post yesterday’s drive so I’ll just lump two days into one post! Total miles for the last two days is 1191, roads were good, traffic mostly light and not too much construction. Lots of trucks and a few impatient drivers but nobody dented the Chevy! We did catch one rock from a truck but it hit the roof somewhere; I couldn’t spot any dents! In St. Joe, MO tonight and a short 3 hour drive tomorrow and we’ll pick up our Micro Minnie! I reserved a spot at a nearby RV park for an overnight before heading up to see family in Iowa. I’m going to miss the good mileage!