Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #1
2018 22M

Unhappy Advise Please! Water droplets between double pane windows

My 1 year warranty just ended. I have 2 windows that look like they've been sprayed with a hose - not fog, but actual droplets of water. I went to wipe off and OH NO, they don't wipe off from either side so they're in-between. I have spent an hour online trying to determine if this is considered 'structure' on the 36mo warranty? If not, do y'all think it's a seal issue? or actual defective windows? Any advise would be appreciated!! Thanks. PS I searched this forum a long time too. Results had nothing to do with my question so sorry if this is a repeat post. I tried!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Window Inner Water Drops.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	172052  
dnta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

If the warranty is pretty close, I still would want to check with the Winnebago folks as there is often some latitude on those close calls as well as get the true "definition" but I suspect the "structure" is not any of the glass.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #3
2018 22M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
If the warranty is pretty close, I still would want to check with the Winnebago folks as there is often some latitude on those close calls as well as get the true "definition" but I suspect the "structure" is not any of the glass.
Thanks. 1 year warranty ended May 7 - over 3 months ago. I will call them though. I suspect you're right that windows are not considered 'structure'. So any advise re: if y'all think just exterior sealing will do it - or if something more extensive is needed, I'd appreciate. I'm curious to see how long it takes for this to dry - and if there will be long term evidence of it having been there. JUST happened.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #4
2018 22M

Sorry...... it's an issue that is producing updates. I just went to bedroom, where my photo was taken an hour ago. Droplets gone! Very little evidence (tiny bit). Kitchen window dry too - yet there IS more 'ghost' evidence of some droplets having been there. I'm not very handy but if sealant is the issue I do have silicone sealant. Should I just go around the black seals with clear sealant to avoid more or ??
Old 08-11-2019, 10:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
bad seals, not uncommon. we had 7-windows go bad in a previous motorhome. finallly had them removed, cleaned and re-sealed by Suncoast Designers in Florida.

https://suncoastdesigners.com/rv-services/defog/

google 'defog rv windows' and you'll get a half dozen hits from companies doing the same thing.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #6
2018 22M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
bad seals, not uncommon. we had 7-windows go bad in a previous motorhome. finallly had them removed, cleaned and re-sealed by Suncoast Designers in Florida.

https://suncoastdesigners.com/rv-services/defog/

google 'defog rv windows' and you'll get a half dozen hits from companies doing the same thing.
Thank you! Great info. I'll research. I still wonder IF, as a possible 'prolong to high expense', I could silicone seal around them outside and that would/could be a temporary fix for awhile? I'm full time (staying put in a few places - not just driving around at 6.5 mpg! haha) to save $ in semi-retirement and w/o researching yet, imagine doing the company fix option would be very high. THANKS!
Old 08-11-2019, 11:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

we had ours done many years ago but at the time the cost was about $200 per window.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

My only experience with moisture between the glass has been home windows and the final solutions seems to be replacement. ARGH!!
It is my understanding that the air is sucked out from between and then sealed and once water is there, meaning the seal has failed, there is not much to get it out and keep it out. I suspect it will come and go as it evaporates and then condenses as the weather changes. Sealing around the outside, might simply seal it in???
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:09 PM   #9
2018 22M

Thanks all. I will attempt to seal this evening, while they are dry and have nothing to seal IN at this time, and hope for the best. If it doesn't work, then thanks rk911 for your search suggestion.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:08 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

If you are going to go with the self seal, park with the afternoon sun on the windows. This will warm them up and expand the volume and also evaporate more moisture.

Good luck with the reseal.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Sealing around the outside frame will not fix the problem. The problem is the seal between the two glasses which is between the two split frames that hold the window. We had a ghost appear on the exit door window a couple of years ago and finally found a place in Mesa, AZ where we were staying that provide on site window repairs. The tech removed the window, then removed the split frame and separated the two glass panes. The panes were then cleaned and polished, new sealant applied to one pane and then the other pane was set on top of the first with the sealant between and the split frames were reassembled and then the window assembly was reinstalled in the door. The tech gave us a two year warranty if the ghost came back. This service was done back in March this year and so far no spooks are present.
Hoffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:47 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Same as your house. When the seal fails you get moisture. It will evaporate if the windows get warm enough. The ghosts are caused by contamination inside the widow caused by the seal failure. Windows have various length warranties. Mobile repair is not the same as the original build. The warranty is short for a reason. You’re better off to get replacements. Unless you won’t be keeping the rig.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:57 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

The worse thing about windows fogging up, especially the front drivers and/or passengers window is safety. It makes it tough to see mirrors, other objects etc...In case you are in a pinch for time, I carefully broke out the outer window. I taped plastic underneath which caught most of the thousands of pieces of shattered glass, also a large garbage can underneath also helps. Use clear sealant where previous window was to hold remaining glass in place. Clean remaining glass with windex and razor blade. Single pane glass was used for years. This quick fix will not hinder new window replacement when you get around to it.
ralphwcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Had two replaced about the 5 year point in our travels. A third started fogging soon after leaving Forest City. Luckily, it was a window above the bed, we leave open all the time for ventilation. I just used a small drill bit to make 5 holes (3 on bottom, 1 on each side).

I considered using glasses cleaner to pump in for cleaning any water spots, but after the water drained out, you can't really see any sign it was there in the first place. Yes I know the insulation factor is down, but we leave it open a crack anyway. No more fogging over the last 4 years.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:01 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Just had 4 small windows in the front cab section of my class A cleaned and resealed at a local glass shop two months ago
cost me $650.00 but I can now see my review mirrors which is a nice thing.
AVBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:42 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Took mh into dealer, service rep didn't bat an eye or look at the picture I took of the moisture between the panes. Ordered a replacement as if it was something he did every day.
dhuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:13 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

at what cost?

Old 09-02-2019, 12:57 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

No cost to me. Under warranty.
dhuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:58 AM   #19