Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2015, 07:05 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

How do you winterize an accumulator? Is all water expelled when there is no pressure?
Old 10-31-2015, 07:23 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Mount pump on rubber bushings, use flexible faucet hose connectors if PEX in RV; use accummulator tank but mount vertical if freeze a concern; install 12v relay at pump with dedicated larger gauge feed wire from fuses block....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:34 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

What is the purpose of the relay? Are you trying to reduce the voltage drop to the pump with higher gauge wires? How does this affect noise?
Old 10-31-2015, 08:53 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

The accumulator has a bleater inside with air pushing on it. So it you dump the system it will empty almost all of it. I use air to blow out all the water in my unit but then again I live in ft worth tx. For $40 it is well wort the install and you have steady pressure and it has quite the water system down a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-31-2015, 09:09 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Al--doesnt impact on noise but many RVs use long runs of thin gauge wire to connect multiple pump switches--no proof but think this was part of the problem with early failures on the Shureflow 5.7
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:38 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Thank you guys! I'm learning a lot about how to combat the noise issue on several fronts. I truly appreciate the ideas and feedback!

Scott
Old 05-22-2016, 11:14 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Just to update this thread, yesterday I installed the SHURflo 4008-101-E65 3 water pump. I ordered it in the event it was truly needed. It turns out it was needed because the original pump developed leaks around its perimeter. The pump is much quieter, but because the outlet port has a hose cut to fit, I suspect it is the cause of the vibrations that still occur. I will be installing the pump silencer kit as well. Also, the power leads for the pump are bundled and routed behind a water hose so the leads are clamped against the wall of the coach. Knowing that vibrations are transmitted this way, I will be taking care of that situation.

Installation of the replacement pump was hampered by the outlet hose being cut to fit--I could not get the pump into its original location. It is slightly below and outboard from original. I also think the mounting screws need to be longer with a washer so the rubber mount compresses evenly when the screws are tightened. So, longer screws and washers will happen when I install the silencer kit.

Scott
Old 06-03-2016, 08:46 AM   #28
Winnie-Wise

It's quiet!

It's quiet! I did some troubleshooting yesterday and discovered the reason the silencing kit works. The way Winnebago runs the water lines, they're way tight and generally cut to fit. This transmits vibrations along the piping which shows up as the familiar noise we hear. You can prove this to yourself by holding either the inlet or outlet hose while running the pump (with water, of course).

Because the lines are cut to fit, they often come in contact with the sides of the compartment--or other water lines--where the fresh water pump lives. Contact with the compartment sides or floor of the compartment causes the vibrations to become noise. If you run the silencer kit so nothing comes in contact with the floor or sides of the compartment, noise is dramatically reduced. The power leads for the pump do not transmit vibrations as I thought earlier. There is enough slack where any vibration is dissipated in the wires themselves.

Mine is not completely silent, but you have to listen to hear it. It now makes just enough noise where the pump cycling can be detected in a quiet coach--like at night if there is a leak. As was mentioned earlier that's a good thing!

Thanks to everyone for their guidance during this evolution!

Scott
Old 06-03-2016, 10:16 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the follow up Scott. That is what makes the forum so great!

Bill

Tags
vent, water, water pump