Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

50 AMP

Hope someone can help me out with this as I'm electricaly illiterate.
I have a 2000 Winnebago Journey with a 30 amp power cord. In the brochure the 50 amp powercord was an option. Soooo would I just be able to replace the cord and have 50amp service. Sounds too simple..
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I think that is too simple RJ. From what I understand about how coaches are wired, a 50 amp rig would have two 120 volt 50 amp legs feeding it and each would supply different circuits within the rig so it wouldn't be likely that you could just replace the cord.... at least IMHO.

good luck

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

That is way to simple. If you are not familiar with them, you should download the drawings for your motorhome. They are great to print out and carry along, so someone can do troubleshooting for you. Plumbing, electrical, auto, etc. Or download to a computer you carry, I prefer the paper copy.

Your powercord goes to the automatic transfer switch first, it may or may not be rated for 50 amps. I think it might looking at the 110V wiring diagram for your unit. Next, a 30 amp panel only has one main, where you use two for 50 amp service. To fake out the transfer switch, they bring a leg from your panel back to the transfer switch so it sees two hot legs. This is why I think the transfer switch is rated 50 amps.

There are some different wire sizes shown for 50 amps based on generator size. These are not shown for the 30 amp circuit, so you may have a smaller generator.

Then there is the load shed system, I am not sure if any changes need to be done to that.

So it is possible to change out to 50 amps, but you would need someone more knowledgeable that what you describe yourself as.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

RJ Smith,

I have a 2000 Winne Adventure 35U that came with 30 amp cord.

I changed it out to a 50 amp setup. This is what is required:

50 amp cord with male plug - available on Ebay (or can be made)

New 50 amp transfer switch - also available on Ebay

Two new 50 amp breakers and one 20 amp breaker - You guessed it, Ebay (or local Electrical Supply House)

New run of 6/4 SJ or SO cable from new transfer switch to existing panel board (Breaker Box)

The second 120 volt winding of your generator is probably wired directly to the second compressor circuit of the basement air (it was on my unit) and will have to be extended to the other side of the new 50 amp transfer switch.

A new 10/2 circuit added from the breaker box to the basement air compressor circuit #2 using the new 20 amp breaker (to replace the direct feed from the genset in the step above)

When installing the new 6/4 SJ or SO cable from from the transfer switch to the breaker box you will need to remove an existing #10 jumper wire currently installed between L1 and L2 in the breaker box.

No modifications are required to the load shedding system.

It took me about 8 hours total labor, mostly in installing the new wiring and removing/reinstalling the new 50 transfer switch.

I am an electrical engineer and licensed electrical contractor - if you want to proceed I will walk you through the steps, just PM me. I have helped several others convert their units.

David Kanoy
2000 Winnebago 35U, Ford Triton V10, F53 Chassis (39,000 miles). Toad: 2000 Honda Odyssey (384,000 Miles), Home Made Trac Bar, Firestone Ride Rites, 5 Star Performance Tune, Cheap Handling Fix, Magnum Auto-Start Generator kit, King Quest VQ4100 (Direct TV)
David Kanoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I too have a 2000 Journey that was 30 amp. I changed it over, took about 4 hours once I had the parts in hand.

Your transfer switch is fine if it is like mine. All I had to do was change the power cord, change the wire from the transfer switch to the breaker panel to 6/4 cord, change the main breaker and do a little rewiring on the generator side of the transfer switch. Also the #2 AC compressor wire will have to be relocated from the transfer switch to the braker panel.

All wires on the breakers have to be moved over to the right one space to accomodate the new breaker. You will have to buy the breaker from Winnebago or from Lichsinn which is what I did. You will need a 20/50/50/20 amp all in one breaker. Sounds expensive but I think it was only about $35.00.

Was not really that hard to do as you stated that it was an option and most of the necessary parts are already in place and its only about 5 feet from the transfer switch to the breaker panel.

If you need more info, please feel free to pm me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

How does one know which transfer switch they have?
I see no markings on the box.

Thanks
Rick
Old 04-13-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Here's a good link for someone who changed from 30 to 50 amp...

Converting the Rig to 50 amp service
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Wiring

Wizard

Thanks for all the info.
Would you please explain further "a little rewiring on the generator side of the transfer switch"? I have the PS245L power switch

Thanks in advance
Old 04-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Sorry if I misled you, I was thinking about it but not looking at the drawing. Refer to the drawing attached.

- the wire I have labeled #1 has to be removed completely from the transfer switch and the breaker panel. You may need a short piece of this wire later.
- Wire labeled #2 has to be removed from the transfer switch and rerouted to the breaker panel and attached to the now empty Breaker from step #1
- the #3 wire will be replace by the new #6/3 cable from the transfer switch to the breaker panel
- On the original Winnebago wiring they replaced the #4 wire from the generator to the transfer switch with 10 gauge wire and replaced the 20amp breaker on the generator with a 30 amp. This didn't really help much, extra 10 amps on one leg, so I just left it as it was because I only use the generator while traveling.
- in the breaker panel, you will have to move breaker 5 through 9 to the right 1 space, remove the 30/20 and the 20/20 from position 1/2 and 3/4 and replace with the 20/50/50/20 breaker. The 50/50 is where the 6/3 hot leads connect, the 20 in slot 1 is connected as original ans the #2 wire pulled back from the transfer switch connects to the 20 in slot 4.
- There is an 8 gauge jumper connecting the two bus bars in the panel together that must be removed, it on the left side of the breakers.

Any more questions just let me know. Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

ps: us the second drawing, I sent the wrong one first and don't know how to remove it.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	one.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	370.4 KB
ID:	9693   Click image for larger version

Name:	one 001.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	9694  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-23-2011, 05:32 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

EMS System

Wizard
Can't thank you enough
We have also noticed in the original installation for the powerline there are jumper wires for the 30 amp setup, yet they are removed in the 50 amp setup. I'm refering to the board for the EMS that is in the breaker box. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks in Advance
Old 04-27-2011, 05:36 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I didn't have to change anything on mine. I have the 10 gal heater and the drawings are the same for both. The only problem was weaving the #6 neutral through the donut on the board.

We are at Beverly Beach now, hooked up th 50 amp and everything is working fine. Running full air and the w/d.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-28-2011, 06:28 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks

Wizard

Again thanks for all the help. We are almost done with changeover, will complete it today if we don't get rained out.

Rick
Old 05-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

EMS

Wizard

All done and everything works, except I don't have any display on the EMS part of the panel. Any ideas? If I unplug and plugin again I have something momentaryily.

Rick
Old 05-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

There won't be any amp display when on a 50 amp connection. You should see them on 30 amp or less or when running the generator, however.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Chris
I think the 50 amp light on left of panel should be lit, shouldn't it?
Also there are no indicators on when running generator or when we go back to 30 amp
Old 05-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Yes, the 50 amp light should be lit, just no amp display. Sounds like there's definitely something wrong.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Chris.
Yep I agree just know where to start checking.

Rick
Old 05-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

When on 50 amp, I have the following lights on.
- 50 amp
- all appliance lights
- no amp reading

On Generator
- generator light
- 50 amp light
- all appliance lights
- no amp reading

On 30 amp
- 30 amp light
- appliance lights
- reads amperage
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

When I first plugged this morning on 30 amp lights came on like they are supposed to and showed amp. draw for a few moments then went blank. On 50 amp everything is blank and on generator everything is blank although everything is working on both.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Well Rick, I seem to have a problem also.

Just got back from our trip last week and the first opportunity to plug back into 30 amp service at home. Amps came right up on the meter but after a while I noticed they had dropped back to 6 amps with the air running . Turned the air off and it dropped to 2 amps . Turned it back on and with fan only it was showing 3 amps, when compressor came back on it went to 6 amps. Tried turning on the water heater and the amps stayed the same, turned on the second compressor, amps stayd at 6 but the 30 amp braker in my shed tripped. Several attempts produced the same results. Guess I have some troubleshooting to do.

Everything worked great on the 50 amp services while we was on the trip. Thank goodness for that as we had some really hot temps. Ran air with both compressors, water heater, microwave and washer/dryer all at the same time. I liked that.

If I figure out whats going on, will let you know.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]