Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2006, 01:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

My 04 Horizon needs some sealant repairs along the edge seam. I now have a tube of the correct product but need info on the procedure.

My prime concern is with the paint and not wanting to scratch it if I have to remove all the old caulk. In most areas it seems there is really a lack of caulk so maybe just a layer over the top would work for now.

Any comments or insight??
Thanks for your help

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My 04 Horizon needs some sealant repairs along the edge seam. I now have a tube of the correct product but need info on the procedure.

My prime concern is with the paint and not wanting to scratch it if I have to remove all the old caulk. In most areas it seems there is really a lack of caulk so maybe just a layer over the top would work for now.

Any comments or insight??
Thanks for your help

Old 06-14-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Lindsay, if you go to "FIND" just above and type in " roof edge seam" you will get every answer your looking for, take off the check mark.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I did exactly as you said but did not find any info on how to clean out the caulk. Most of the comments relate to non full body paint units. I am concerned about marking the paint during the removal of the old caulk.

Thanks,

Old 06-15-2006, 02:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I recently completed resealing the roof seam on our full paint Journey. I used a 1 inch plastic trowel, the cheap kind you get at Home Depot. It did not scratch the paint while digging out the old sealant. The key is good preparation. I used mineral spirits to clean any area that will be resealed, which was about 40% of the roof line. Took almost one tube of caulking. Push on the roof seam and if any gaps, clean with mineral spirits, remove as much of the old stuff as possible, insert caulking gun into gap that is being held open with finger. Its not difficult, just time consuming.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Florida guy, I'll get me a plastic scraper like you say. Sounds like a working solution to me.

Old 06-15-2006, 08:42 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

arkaussie;

Don't overlook Eternabond and then never worry about it again. Do a search on this site for Eternabond and you will find a wealth of information. I have installed Eternabond on 2 Winnies now and I am very happy with the results.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:17 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hi I bought some eternabond after reading on here about water getting in on this seam, however after talking to Dudleys (British importer of winnies for years) he advised against it, he said the construction of the roof/side wall joint makes it impossible for water to ingress into the roof or sidewalls.

He showed me a cross section of this joint and it seemed to backup what he was saying. So now do I bother? is there anything to worry about? Advice needed please.

Olley
Old 06-16-2006, 10:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I agree with you olley:
My dealer showed me the same cross section, the roof coming down into the aluminum channel, with aluminum going up on the "inside" of the roof. Now I know that water will run "up hill" in the right circumstances and I guess that is what I would be preventing - I looked at the Eternabond solution also, but could not quite grasp the concept. Would seem that you would need to "overlap" the aluminum "rail" if you used that.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

olley, I don't think its the aluminum channel thats a problem its where the aluminum meets the roof line that most people use the Eternabond tape. As long as you caulk the side wall seam you should be ok. Its the roof thats a bigger problem.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote