Old 01-28-2017, 09:48 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

In a pinch an ordinary bolt will suffice, just saw the head off and file 2 flats on the bolt end to tighten the bolt.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:08 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Strike came in. No groove. JB weld is going on Saturday morning. Since it is cold it may take a while to set, so I'll just use the screen door to keep the varmints out. Hopefully if I do it first thing Saturday it may be set enough to close the door by dark. If that doesn't last I'll install the new strike. I need to make sure the current strike setting is correct. Looks like my sealing problem is due to wear on the strike and will correct once the strike groove has been filled.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:09 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspringator View Post
Strike came in. No groove. JB weld is going on Saturday morning. Since it is cold it may take a while to set, so I'll just use the screen door to keep the varmints out. Hopefully if I do it first thing Saturday it may be set enough to close the door by dark. If that doesn't last I'll install the new strike. I need to make sure the current strike setting is correct. Looks like my sealing problem is due to wear on the strike and will correct once the strike groove has been filled.
How cold is cold? I think JB has a working temperature range. There is a good chance it will fail quickly if the temp is not within the setting range. Would a bone yard have one that would work?

Rick Y
Old 02-20-2017, 11:00 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
In a pinch an ordinary bolt will suffice, just saw the head off and file 2 flats on the bolt end to tighten the bolt.
Please excuse my goof, an ordinary bolt will NOT work, it must be a shoulder bolt. They are sold at better hardware stores.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:35 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

It was too cold for the JB Weld. I thought I would have access to the strike retaining nut by removing an access panel behind the strike. Turns out that is not an access panel at all, but instead holds and positions the inside of the door. I ended up tightening the bolt a 1/2 turn. I remembered that I tried to slam the door with an extension cord in the bottom. Mistake. Winnebago provides instruction on how to loosen a plate on the door and push the bottom in with a 2x4. That will be my next step. Live and learn.

Tags
door, entry door