Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-04-2024, 08:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Which roof sealant to use (not the clear stuff)

I am aware of the roof radius and what it requires but there is a seal up over the awning side that is black/grey and needs replacing. I can't get a straight answer on what it is. I know dicor wont work on a fiberglass roof and that it needs to be self leveling silicone.

Will this work?

https://retail.usa.sika.com/en/produ...ling-sealant-0
Old 06-04-2024, 09:06 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT RV View Post
I'm not sure I'd go with that, especial since its for filling cracks in concrete.

I know plenty of boats use a different Sika product... Sikaflex 291. But, it's not self leveling.

I'd guess that the existing product is Manus Bond 75am. However, it's not self leveling.

https://www.amazon.com/Manus-Product.../dp/B079Z2RH4M

I've used this to great effect. It lasts a very long time stays pliable. However, it's super sticky making it difficult to not get on everything and as I said, not self leveling so you must be super neat with it.

Currently, Winnebago says to use Henry's Roof and Gutter sealant or NuFlex 311. Both are Silicone and both are self-leveling.

Henry's is available in White, Clear and Gray via home depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-90...0204/202091012

NuFlex 311 comes in black - but it a bit harder to find:

https://pantherrvproducts.com/31113rv/

By the way, Dicor will work on fiberglass, the problem is that if you are using it over some existing silicone sealant it won't stick properly to the silicone. So, you can use it as long as it's new work not over older silicone sealant or some folks say if you clean every trace of silicone off the area you can use it successfully. What I know is that it is nearly impossible to remove all traces of silicone oils off of a previous application.
Old 06-04-2024, 09:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I found the Henrys roof and gutter stuff, pretty sure thats the one
Old 06-04-2024, 09:39 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

These are the 3 main sealants that Winnebago currently calls out.

Nuflex 311 Self-leveling Silicone. This is for rooftop items.

Henry 212 Crystal Clear. This is for the roof side joints and almost everything else on the sidewalls.

Sika SG-10 Silicone. This is used as a bedding compound for the roof top items.

Aaron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240604_153322524.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	189109  
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 09:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

In that case its the SG-10 ^
Old 06-04-2024, 10:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I am a firm believer in the sika products. The Sika flex is a great product and works as advertised. I have used it to caulk the seam on the front cap to roof and its held great for years. The sikaflex 221 is a great product
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 11:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I am aware of the roof radius and what it requires but there is a seal up over the awning side that is black/grey and needs replacing. I can't get a straight answer on what it is. I know dicor wont work on a fiberglass roof and that it needs to be self leveling silicone.

Will this work?

https://retail.usa.sika.com/en/produ...ling-sealant-0
Whoever told you self-leveling Dicor will not work on a fiberglass roof fibbed to you. It's silicone that will not adhere well-long term to surfaces.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 04:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I forgot to say; if you insist on using silicone, only use neutral-cure silicone (the type that does not smell of vinegar)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-05-2024, 05:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I forgot to say; if you insist on using silicone, only use neutral-cure silicone (the type that does not smell of vinegar)
All the factory silicone was removed and replaced a little over a year ago, so the major seals are very good, its the other sections (rain gutters etc) that need replacing. AFAIK dicor wouldnt play well with any of the sealants Winnebago used
Old 06-06-2024, 03:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
All the factory silicone was removed and replaced a little over a year ago, so the major seals are very good, its the other sections (rain gutters etc) that need replacing. AFAIK dicor wouldnt play well with any of the sealants Winnebago used
You are right, nothing sticks to silicone residue, not even new silicone. That's why I removed the roof to gutter sealant and applied new sealant of a different brand.
Old 06-10-2024, 11:06 AM   #11
ACB
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I'm not sure I'd go with that, especial since its for filling cracks in concrete.

I know plenty of boats use a different Sika product... Sikaflex 291. But, it's not self leveling.

I'd guess that the existing product is Manus Bond 75am. However, it's not self leveling.

https://www.amazon.com/Manus-Product.../dp/B079Z2RH4M

I've used this to great effect. It lasts a very long time stays pliable. However, it's super sticky making it difficult to not get on everything and as I said, not self leveling so you must be super neat with it.

Currently, Winnebago says to use Henry's Roof and Gutter sealant or NuFlex 311. Both are Silicone and both are self-leveling.

Henry's is available in White, Clear and Gray via home depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-90...0204/202091012

NuFlex 311 comes in black - but it a bit harder to find:

https://pantherrvproducts.com/31113rv/

By the way, Dicor will work on fiberglass, the problem is that if you are using it over some existing silicone sealant it won't stick properly to the silicone. So, you can use it as long as it's new work not over older silicone sealant or some folks say if you clean every trace of silicone off the area you can use it successfully. What I know is that it is nearly impossible to remove all traces of silicone oils off of a previous application.
I agree with your advice. I just removed the manus bond n my 2022 Vista front cap since 1/2 of it was flaking off. Replaced with Nuflex.

And you are correct you can use DICOR if you remove the non-Dicor first. Recently the dealer had to remove my rear cap and replaced the sealant with Dicor.

I live in Arizona and the heat destroys sealant quickly. My roof radius sealant has been replaced twice in three years.
ACB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 01:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Supposedly Nu Flex 311 is now branded as "Hengs Self Leveling RV Silicone Caulk"

Old 06-10-2024, 02:21 PM   #13
ACB
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Supposedly Nu Flex 311 is now branded as "Hengs Self Leveling RV Silicone Caulk"

Yes, I just purchased four tubes
ACB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 07:33 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
These are the 3 main sealants that Winnebago currently calls out.

Nuflex 311 Self-leveling Silicone. This is for rooftop items.

Henry 212 Crystal Clear. This is for the roof side joints and almost everything else on the sidewalls.

Sika SG-10 Silicone. This is used as a bedding compound for the roof top items.

Aaron
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a bedding compound? And which roof top items would you use it on? For example a new sewer vent cap. The sika would go under the cap flange? and the Nuflex around the top of the flange? Thanks, George
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 01:17 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkiesel View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a bedding compound? And which roof top items would you use it on? For example a new sewer vent cap. The sika would go under the cap flange? and the Nuflex around the top of the flange? Thanks, George
Correct. You put a heavy bead of the SG10 under whatever it is you are installing. Then use the Nuflex around the edges and over the fasteners. If you have ever looked at the stuff on the roof you will notice they are quite generous with the Nuflex. I suspect the factory buys it in 55-gallon drums.

Aaron
Old 06-12-2024, 11:28 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I used the SG-10 along the base of the shower, its WAY better than the residential grade white stuff. Not as easy to work with and has to be prepped well but its a way better seal and will last for years. Cleaned out the roof gutter sealant too, looks like they used pro flex which dried out and cracked. Replaced with Sikaflex 221.
Old 06-14-2024, 06:33 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Can you get SG10 in White? I like the shower idea. Mine needs to be recaulked. Thanks.
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 07:24 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkiesel View Post
Can you get SG10 in White? I like the shower idea. Mine needs to be recaulked. Thanks.
It comes in clear, white, and black.

I found it on Amazon in White for ~$26 a tube. I would try a local supply house.

Aaron
Old 06-15-2024, 06:36 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

My shower is white and the clear applied is transparent, you can barely see its there. I think white would stick out more. I am certain this stuff will perform far better bouncing down the road over residential grade stuff.

Tags
roof, seal