Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-01-2021, 11:20 AM   #1

2100BH - First Weekend Observations.

I'm sure this has been covered a great deal here, but I am new and wanted to post some of the takeaways from our first weekend with our new 2021 2100BH in case anyone is leaning towards any of the Micro Minnie models....Disclosure: This is my experience as a "newbie" and may not be as helpful to most.

1. The furnace vent is located directly from the thermostat and the main bed is located at the opposite end. This results in the air traveling upwards right to the thermostat giving a false reading of the temperature (you will end up freezing on cold nights in your bed. RESOLVED - I affixed a deflector to drive the warm air towards the bed and it worked like a charm.

2. Movement felt throughout the RV at night when someone moves around (bathroom) - RESOLVED - Add wheel stabilizer chocks to both sides of the tires to remove the movement.

3. Upgrade your main bed mattress - we chose this option and put it right on top of our current mattress

4. Booth/Bed Conversion - Purchase a 1.5 inch Mattress Topper ($50) to lay on top of the booth cushions. No real way to sleep on the cushion's comfortably.

5. Grey Tank is small - when traveling as a family, we placed a bucket in the sink to catch the water we used to brush teeth, wash dishes and hands, then tossed that outside the site. This saved us space in our Grey tank that we needed for a quick shower or two. We used an environment-safe soap.

6. Carry a can of WD40 with you - Our ball has become stuck a couple times (we have a Curt Sway Control Kit on our hitch) when detaching on uneven ground (car was lower) and the WD40 freed it up immediately.

7. If it's rain or if you're leaving in the morning, make sure your slide (if out) is dried off. Most don't realize that you're pulling that slide into your trailer and the moisture on the side comes with it. If you're traveling long distance, that water will get on the floor, walls, and could cause some damage if not caught early.

I hope this helps and I would love any experience some others can share on this thread to help a newbie like myself!

-James
jgmp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The thermostat location is one of my few real 2100 complaints.. though I don't know a better location. Maybe back of the bunks wall would be ideal but might have been hard to wire.

Along those lines, if you have kids in the bunks, particularly upper bunk, note that the thermostat location also makes it prone to a kid knocking off the cover. This is particularly true for going in/out of top bunk. I ended up using a piece of cardboard folded L shaped to make a mini railing/wall by the top bunk so they wouldn't accidentally bump it. Still a TBD to make a nicer wood one.. but with a 4x4 piece plywood costing ore than my camper right now I'm sticking with the cardboard ;-)

Most others you list we also noticed. I use grease on hitch ball vs wd40, though I've ordered some graphite after complaints from everyone about getting grease on them (I call it the newbie tatoo).

Agree grey tank in particular is tad too small.. really would love another 10G but oh well. Another helpful solution along your lines we use is getting one of those 5-6G water jugs with a spigot on it and use that as your hand wash and toothbrush station outside ala tent/car campers. For dry camping this can really help conserve fresh/gray tank usage.

Also be aware your bumper caps may blow off at interstate speeds... we lost both ours first trip, there are some nice rubber "self locking" ones on amazon that push in, those have held up well. Losing the caps isn't the worst thing.. but losing the hose would be a pain to deal with.
COSCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by COSCamper View Post
Also be aware your bumper caps may blow off at interstate speeds... we lost both ours first trip, there are some nice rubber "self locking" ones on amazon that push in, those have held up well. Losing the caps isn't the worst thing.. but losing the hose would be a pain to deal with.
I have a locking one on one end (probably the same one you have). On the other end towards the tank valves, I have one made by Camco that actually locks onto the sewer hose. 4 strong magnets hold it to the bumper. It's nice and easy to pull off, but will never come off on the road. It also makes retrieving the sewer hose super easy because it comes with the cap. No more reaching into the bumper to grab it.
rstraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:19 AM   #4
Winnebagel

Great call on the mattress upgrade! We had an extra residential queen at home so I just put that one in but it's a pain to use the slide out (have to lift up while operating). Might have to pick up the one you suggested.

I bought some X-chocks for in between the two wheels – instantly eliminated all movement while parked.

We also have the magnetic bumper cap – definitely recommend! It came with a rubber cap for the other end.
jwiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstraz View Post
I have a locking one on one end (probably the same one you have). On the other end towards the tank valves, I have one made by Camco that actually locks onto the sewer hose. 4 strong magnets hold it to the bumper. It's nice and easy to pull off, but will never come off on the road. It also makes retrieving the sewer hose super easy because it comes with the cap. No more reaching into the bumper to grab it.
I’ve got the magnetic cap too. Works great. I seldom use the hose extension, in there, but nice place to stow it dry.

If the waste tanks were any bigger, all of us MM owners would go over GVWR.

I carry two 6gal water jugs, one empty, one full. One sits on a table outside for hand wash, and rinsing of paper towel wiped plates, pots, coffee press etc. Then take both jugs for refill to replenish fresh water tank using a drill pump. Too much weight to carry them both full. Carry a sewer tote to empty grey tank. Weighs only 25lbs and mounts on bumper.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:34 AM   #6
Winnebagel

I wasn't even close to overweight on my last trip. I came from tenting all my life, so I guess all of my gear is pretty light. The entire front storage compartment was pretty much empty and the rear bunk compartment just had some firewood.

Still had at least 1,000lbs of CCC after that. Is it normal to be towing with full grey/black tanks? The furthest I'd tow with them full is to the nearest dump station. I guess it depends what type of dry camping you're doing!

If all tanks were full of just water (obviously not the case, but just for an estimate), it would equal roughly 675lbs. My CCC is something like 1,400 lbs (will have to check the sticker to confirm) but that is still a tonne of space for "stuff" in my opinion!
Old 06-02-2021, 10:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiebe View Post
I wasn't even close to overweight on my last trip. I came from tenting all my life, so I guess all of my gear is pretty light. The entire front storage compartment was pretty much empty and the rear bunk compartment just had some firewood.

Still had at least 1,000lbs of CCC after that. Is it normal to be towing with full grey/black tanks? The furthest I'd tow with them full is to the nearest dump station. I guess it depends what type of dry camping you're doing!

If all tanks were full of just water (obviously not the case, but just for an estimate), it would equal roughly 675lbs. My CCC is something like 1,400 lbs (will have to check the sticker to confirm) but that is still a tonne of space for "stuff" in my opinion!
I'd only do it if I was boondocking close to home (within probably ~2 hour drive) such that it wasn't even worth stopping anywhere to dump rather than dumping at home. Otherwise, no for me.
Foothills83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:46 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
I’ve got the magnetic cap too. Works great. I seldom use the hose extension, in there, but nice place to stow it dry.

If the waste tanks were any bigger, all of us MM owners would go over GVWR.

I carry two 6gal water jugs, one empty, one full. One sits on a table outside for hand wash, and rinsing of paper towel wiped plates, pots, coffee press etc. Then take both jugs for refill to replenish fresh water tank using a drill pump. Too much weight to carry them both full. Carry a sewer tote to empty grey tank. Weighs only 25lbs and mounts on bumper.
I just picked up a 30 gallon fresh water bladder for filling up my fresh tank. We'll see how it works in a few days during a 5 day trip without hookups. The reviews are great, so I'm optimistic . Also have a sewer tote that I haven't had to use yet that will get some work this weekend.
rstraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:06 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

All tanks full = 714lbs on all MMs I think.
There have been a couple of times we returned home with nearly full waste, and we can’t dump at home. When we filled fresh on next trip, we would have been close to 850 total load. What’s worse is the additional tongue weight. If we increase tongue weight by 100lbs, we could go overweight on tow vehicle payload. Safe so far, but we do have to be conscious of it.
If you’ve purchased your MM this year, your MM GVWR is probably 5,500# Mine is only 5,000#.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:08 AM   #10
Winnebagel

Good to know Marine. The Canyon is in consideration for our TV, and that is an important factor to keep in mind.

You're right, my GVWR is 5,500lbs.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:13 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
All tanks full = 714lbs on all MMs I think.
There have been a couple of times we returned home with nearly full waste, and we can’t dump at home. When we filled fresh on next trip, we would have been close to 850 total load. What’s worse is the additional tongue weight. If we increase tongue weight by 100lbs, we could go overweight on tow vehicle payload. Safe so far, but we do have to be conscious of it.
If you’ve purchased your MM this year, your MM GVWR is probably 5,500# Mine is only 5,000#.
Not that you should go over it, but through various conversations with Winnebago towables person I figured out that the only difference between our trailers with the lower GVWR and older trailers with the higher GVWR is the axle change. And there's zero technical/engineering reason why the GVWR shouldn't be at the axle limit. It's a marketing thing, and apparently some states give you trouble when registering a trailer that has a higher GVWR than your tow vehicle is rated for and Winnie doesn't want a bunch of upset new trailer owners. So my take is, sure, for legal reasons don't exceed the GVWR, but as long as you're comfortable with your tow vehicle setup, don't worry about towing at or just below the GVWR on the trailer if you need to.

I'm towing with a small truck right now too, so my limiting factor is tongue weight at the moment as well. But just food for thought.
Foothills83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:13 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

With the Canyon, it all boils down to choices.
If we take our bikes on our rhino rack, we can’t carry a full gas can.
If we take my golf clubs, no firewood.
Or, leave behind the extra 20# propane bottle and take the firewood.
We’ve got a great WDH, but I don’t want to tempt fate.
I have 2,500 lb Dexter axles.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:16 AM   #13
Winnebagel

You also have the 2108DS which is roughly 300lbs heavier than the 2100BH. I thought about switching the propane tanks to fibreglass to shave some tongue weight off as well.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:19 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, but since you bought a BH, you’re probably hauling more than two warm bodies. I only carry two, plus a frozen one in the shower.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:21 AM   #15
Winnebagel

Quote:
Yeah, but since you bought a BH, you’re probably hauling more than two warm bodies. I only carry two, plus a frozen one in the shower.
Quite true! They are still very light 3 years old and 7 months
Old 06-02-2021, 11:35 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiebe View Post
Quite true! They are still very light 3 years old and 7 months
OMG! That means you’re hauling 50lbs of G.I. Joe and 100 lbs of diapers and baby wipes. Not to mention Mom’s 25lb supply of Valium to deal with the stress.
Then, there’s the car seats, teddy bears, and plastic bats to whack you in the head while driving. You’d better Re-weigh You might just be overweight.

You’re a lucky guy. Wish I were living that stage over again. Are we there yet?
Old 06-07-2021, 03:22 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstraz View Post
I just picked up a 30 gallon fresh water bladder for filling up my fresh tank. We'll see how it works in a few days during a 5 day trip without hookups. The reviews are great, so I'm optimistic . Also have a sewer tote that I haven't had to use yet that will get some work this weekend.
Would you have a link to where you got your 30 gallon bladder? Have you had a chance to use it yet and how did you like it?
Thanks!
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:47 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Great comments. We also lost both bumper end caps on our first trip out. Had to order the magnetic ones that have stayed put ever since. Waste tank management has become a way of life with our 2108DS. Living in Florida, we use the outside shower more than inside to save grey tank capacity. We also wash hands, dishes, and anything else that can be conveniently (and safely) run off into the ground, instead of loading up the grey tank. Using the camper toilet is considered a “last resort”, so black tank capacity isn’t usually an issue. I like to dump all tanks, including draining the fresh water, whenever possible before traveling, so we are not carrying the excess weight.
Florida88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:08 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
With the Canyon, it all boils down to choices.
If we take our bikes on our rhino rack, we can’t carry a full gas can.
If we take my golf clubs, no firewood.
Or, leave behind the extra 20# propane bottle and take the firewood.
We’ve got a great WDH, but I don’t want to tempt fate.
I have 2,500 lb Dexter axles.
Isn't your Canyon rated to 7000lbs?
R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:15 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Yes, the Canyon rated 7,000lbs. But the Denali has a lower payload due to all the extras; just under 1,400lbs.