Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Have you heard of upgrading to a larger fridge?

Has anyone upgraded or seen a thread anywhere that speaks to the issue of possibly upgrading a fridge to a larger unit. We have a 2003 Itasca 33V with a fridge with the slide-out pantry to the right of the fridge. Seems to me we could yank the pantry out and put in a larger fridge if it was done right in a good custom shop.

Our fridge is a Norcold N822 which I think is 8cui. I hope there is one a bit larger.

Any thoughts on this one?
kcaravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Might want to look at installing a residential refrigerator, but it would most likely involve a different inverter and additional batteries.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

No, I don't need "that" much more room. Besides, the weight alone would nix that one, but thanks for the input. There may be a compromise. I saw some folks who had a small ice box installed next to the entrance and the guy used it for beer. I don't drink but a bottle a month but it might work for my purposes. It's just that the space in the pantry would be better served with a larger fridge.

Hey, how about a diet? Now there's a thought
Old 08-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Our only complaint about our RV is the small fridge too. We looked into installing a larger unit but the height was a problem - can't go higher (ceiling) and can't go lower because the furnace/electrical panel/inverter are down below. So... we carry a portable 12 volt cooler when we need the extra space and put all the canned and bottled drinks in it. That frees up all of the shelves in the door and some of the interior for other things.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Smile Problem solved!

I went over to Costco today and picked up a great 4.6 CF fridge for $139 and set it down right on the floor. Works great and it's not in the way at all. Fantastic solution. I will take a couple pictures and post. It is a regular fridge so now we can stop pushing the other one so hard.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hello Mr. Caravelli,

Below is our solution, total of 15.4 cubic feet. If memory serves, didn’t your coach have as an option the 4 door Norcold? If so, there may be stock parts that you could purchase to convert from the smaller Norcold to the larger four door without the pantry. Check the parts lists, electrical, and plumbing diagrams to see what was done with your coach. A bit pricey way to go but if money is no object…..

Old 08-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Great solution, thanks.

I really like that fridge ONLY solution with a seperate freezer. I know a lot of folks put small freezers down in their basements outside.

I am keeping your pictures/solution in mind for a time when our fridge goes out, then it would make sense to upgrade.

For now, this 4.6 CF Costco fridge is a great inexpensive solution. It is a real fridge and should last for years.

Our combines is now about 13cf I believe.

But yes, very nice solution you have. Very workable for full-timers.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

upgraded fridge

Did you ever up grade, or up size your fridge? did you stay with an rv fridge? how did it go?
Thjanks
Mike
Frutza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
Did you ever up grade, or up size your fridge? did you stay with an rv fridge? how did it go?
Thjanks
Mike
Well sort of yes...

we purchased a 40' KZ Escalade which has a 4 door fridge with ice maker and water dispenser. I was told it costs about $4,500 to replace.

We got our Escalade from someone who had it for a year and it was repoed.

KZ has been amazingly helpful to us in helping answer questions about the rig. It is a 5th wheel and man...what an awesome rig.

Sorry to brag but if not for the fact that it was a repo I would never have purchased a 5th wheel this nice...it really have transformed our living experience to one we enjoy much more...and we really liked the Itasca...

So yes, got the new fridge.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

By the way, that little fridge from Costco which I mentioned earlier really did the trick. We pulled our lounge chair out and put that in its place and it worked great. $100 fix for the problem.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Personally we look for a unit with a standard size refrigerator and a pantry. I don't want to have to store canned goods in the frig.

Ken
Old 01-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I have a single door fridge as well. I asked about changing it out and it just wasnt cost effective plus they said the only way to get a double door in was to remove the side window. I have plenty of room in my storage for a big ice chest for the drinks.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Good job, So did you do the work ? or job it out? I also have the pantry next to the fridge and think I could use a bigger fridge more than a pantry, It looks like the rear vent is in the same location on both, and maybe some readjusting of the roof vent do to the 4 door being taller, Did you upgrade to the 5th wheel or is that your 1st?
Frutza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv