Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-24-2021, 06:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Dropped TV remote under Murphy Bed - Help

I put my Murphy bed up and as I was doing it I heard a thump. I had left the TV remote on the bed and as I put the bed up it fell down under the bed. Is there anyway to recover it without completely taking the bed apart? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave
Bughawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

update

I checked with a local RV dealer who sold me my trailer and they told me there does not seem to be any way to recover anything that falls under the Murphy bed without dismantling the cabinets or the bed. Soooo, be very careful if you have Murphy bed in a 2108ds or any other MicroMinnie with a Murphy Bed. If something slips down under the bed kiss it good-bye.

I did fine a replacement TV remote at Best Buy so my TV problem has been taken care of....
Old 09-24-2021, 12:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If something falls down a crack there must be an opening. Have you tried one of those disabilities grabber? Touchy feely might get it back.

As stated, get a universal remote if all else fails, or even get the same brand remote from the seller or Amazon.

Mechanics telescoping mirror may reveal the location.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I've not looked at the Murphy beds but I have a hard time thinking of an RV with the interior built so well that there is not a panel that is only stapled on and easy to remove!

But I admit that my first thought was to ask how in the world the TV got under the bed to be dropped!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Wayne for the suggestions. If I ever pick up one of the grabby things and a mirror I will see if I can locate the remote. I am surprised that Winnebago did not consider people dropping things down behind the bed when it is raised. Also, there is a space below the and beside the bed that could be used as storage. Maybe I can find someone to put a door in under the bed.

Anyway I did find a remote that works fine. BTW - the TV is an Insignia and the guy at Best Buy said the replacement Insignia remotes work on all Insignia TV's. While I don't know if that is true but it works just fine with my TV.

Now the only problem I have is the stinky hot water.... I will have to wait until I get home to take care of that issue....

Happy camping everyone.
Old 09-24-2021, 01:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Morich I could rip out the panel under the sofa which is under the bed but it would not be an easy task. The cabinets and the panel look pretty substantial as this area has to support the jackknife sofa and the bed. Honestly if I had lost something really important or great valuable I would not hesitate to find a way to pry open the panel but given it was the TV remote which is neither important nor valuable the effort is really not warranted.

Thanks for the advice. Have a great day.
Old 09-24-2021, 01:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The Bed/Sofa

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0570.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	382.6 KB
ID:	180914
Old 09-24-2021, 06:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Can you put some Nano Tape or similar product on a stick and shove it down there? I have a roll of Nano Tape and that stuff is amazing.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Sounds Good

Thanks for the idea. After I get home I will see about giving that a try.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:58 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I could swear, I remember seeing a picture posted by another Micro Minnie owner with a Murphy bed that showed an access panel they removed that was inside the curbside pass-through door. This panel gave them limited access to the area behind the bed.
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:02 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I will check that Out

Thanks. I will check that out tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:28 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks a million

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred 2106DS View Post
I could swear, I remember seeing a picture posted by another Micro Minnie owner with a Murphy bed that showed an access panel they removed that was inside the curbside pass-through door. This panel gave them limited access to the area behind the bed.
Fred you were correct. There is a small panel on both sides. It is located towards the front of the trailer in the cargo compartment. Once I removed the two screws I was able to retrieve the remote. BTW - there quite a bit of room up there. Of course, when the bed is up a good portion is taken up with the upper end of the bed.

Thanks again for your help. Have a great day.

Dave
Old 09-25-2021, 07:55 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Now you know where to hide stuff
Old 09-25-2021, 09:33 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Yes. Actually there is a fair amount of storage there but it is not the easiest place to get to if you know what I mean. There is a lot more storage under the seats in the dinette and way easier to get to.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:43 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bughawk View Post
Fred you were correct. There is a small panel on both sides. It is located towards the front of the trailer in the cargo compartment. Once I removed the two screws I was able to retrieve the remote. BTW - there quite a bit of room up there. Of course, when the bed is up a good portion is taken up with the upper end of the bed.

Thanks again for your help. Have a great day.

Dave
Your welcome! Glad I could help and that I remembered the post. I actually tried finding the post before I posted, but didn't have any luck, so that is why I wasn't completely sure about the access panel.
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:06 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred 2106DS View Post
Your welcome! Glad I could help and that I remembered the post. I actually tried finding the post before I posted, but didn't have any luck, so that is why I wasn't completely sure about the access panel.
The panels were right where you said it would be so your memory was spot on. Thanks again. Happy camping....
Old 09-29-2021, 04:13 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I know the feeling

I dropped my cell phone under the Murphy bed in my 2106DS, right as I was expecting an important call. I had to push the board of the end (the lip?) and then I could reach in. Now if I tilt the bed up it slides down and gets wedged in. Someday I need to replace that board.
Blacktoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 05:18 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bughawk View Post
I put my Murphy bed up and as I was doing it I heard a thump. I had left the TV remote on the bed and as I put the bed up it fell down under the bed. Is there anyway to recover it without completely taking the bed apart? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave
I have a 2019 2108ds. In the pass through storage towards the front of the storage bay is a panel with four small screws. If you remove the panel you’ll have access to an open area under the bed. You may be able to get access under the Murphy bed from there. Good lick
Just Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:31 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

I dropped my cell phone under our Murphy bed. My husband put a long strip of duct tape at the end of a hanger wire and fished it out.
mostwink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:00 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Mike View Post
I have a 2019 2108ds. In the pass through storage towards the front of the storage bay is a panel with four small screws. If you remove the panel you’ll have access to an open area under the bed. You may be able to get access under the Murphy bed from there. Good lick
I found the access panel and it does open up to the space under the bed. Thanks for the help.