Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-17-2022, 05:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Unhappy 2018 NavionD Generator

Hi Folks ,
Anyone having issues with the generator on these units .Been in the shop several times with problems after driving in heavy rain . If so let me know what issues you have and maybe remedies .

Thanks
Allen and Lorrie
golfball8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:01 AM   #2
Living The Dream

Knock Wood … no problems with ours … Knock Wood

Bought rig new in October 2017, diesel generator. About 28,000 miles on the View, generator has about 50 hours on it now, have always religiously run it under load once a month.

Hope you get it sorted out. What kind of trouble? Is it diesel or propane?
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfball8 View Post
Hi Folks ,
Anyone having issues with the generator on these units .Been in the shop several times with problems after driving in heavy rain . If so let me know what issues you have and maybe remedies .

Thanks
Allen and Lorrie
Interesting question that may have lots of different answers but to get down to what YOUR problem might be, folks will need to know WHAT problem you have.

Many folks do have problems with the genset but it can be things as wide ranging as won't start, won't run, to can't find the breaker!

The more info and details of what is up, the more direct the answers may be. Right now, there is no way to know which generator your RV has! Lots of options on RV, just like cars.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Warren and Debbie .Ours is propane .It appears to be a water issue when it rains as the generator sits behind the right rear tire

Allen and Lorrie
Old 01-18-2022, 06:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hi Richard ,
It's an Onan propane that goes to start mode when driven in heavy rain( generator sits behind passenger rear tires . It doesn't start but ramps up hours as it thinks its running .
Has to be disconnected from power to stop in order to prevent propane from leaking out .
The board had been replaced by a Cummings dealer and ran for about a year and a half .
Coming south this year in the rain back to square one. Hope this made since .

Thanks
Allen and Lorrie
Old 01-18-2022, 10:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Okay, so it "thinks" it is running but not actually doing the real running? And propane leaks out instead of being used to run the engine?

Not enough of a generator guy to know if that works and how but it does seem to be in the electrical controls.

But that put it pretty well back into the generator pos area, not me!
But some questions to maybe look for a better answer? How is the warrenty idea? Is it past the three years I read about but never used? The the past repairs have anything on warrenty to tell when it expres or if it was covered as a defect, etc. ? The 2018 might put it right at the edge, so maybe worth looking a bit.

Did they give any ideas of why and how it might be getting too wet as that location is quite common on RV and seems to work well. If water is getting in to get the control board wet, that sound slike lots more water than normal so some looking at any openings that might help it stay dry?

Sorry, not much help and all I've got!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have 2018(purchased fall 2017) Winne View 24J with a 3.6K Onan propane generator. The unit had faulty ignition coil covered by warranty.
Lmonger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator