Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2018, 06:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Wannabe Winnie

My name is Jeff and my wife (Markey) and I are seriously considering letting go and letting God guide us into the world of full time RV life. We are tired of the rat race and want to drastically simplify our life. We are in our mid fifties and can’t just let go and take off...yet. However we are looking at selling everything, buying a Winnie and just resettleing into a new life. I will continue to work here in central Texas and we have some great parks here locally. Yes, we are terrified and excited all at the same time. Heavy on the terrified. Our home is paid off and I have a pond full of bass that Markey swears have all been named, but it’s time to let go. I realize we can’t take any of these material possessions with us when we die but we have a ton of irreplaceable stuff (crap we don’t really need). Advice? Anyone? Is this mike on? Bueller? Do we tell our kids that anything they want can be theirs for the taking and then sell the rest? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Terrified in Texas
Jgbeilue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Wow, you are contemplating some huge changes! I’m sure you will find some good advice from folks who have done something similar, as you pray about your direction. Take care and wishing you all the best!
Al
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If you can I would start slowly. Full timing isn't for everyone and if you sell it all and then hate the life style what do you do. Get an RV and start taking trips to see how it is. You have a lot to give up there my friend.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:46 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I second Cooperhawk. I know someone who decided to full-time. He and his wife weren't sure so they packed up the household stuff into storage and rented their house out for a couple of years before selling it. They have since reduced a lot of their household stuff keeping items of sentimental value and what they will need when they decide it is time to have a permanent home again. Good luck with whatever you decide.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We were strongly considering the same, but have decided to not sell the house and everything in it. We will go for a few months at a time and then return home. If we love it and decide to sell out, it will be after gaining a lot of experience on the road. It seems to me that most give up the full time lifestyle after five to ten years. That would mean purchasing another home and having to refurnish it. Also, if something happened to my spouse I would not want to continue full timing it on my own. A lot to think about, for sure.
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the input everyone. We will keep researching and following this thread for more thoughts.
Jgbeilue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

A third, fourth and fifth (not whiskey!***) for easing in to the RV 'life style' by getting/renting an RV and taking a few test drives. The truth is found somewhere in the middle.... between full time at home and full time in your RV. Only way to learn and grow is to take a test drive ... and ask questions.

**** never open whiskey or alcohol when making decisions.... the smell of whisky brings on a mob of elves, spirits, fairies, leprechauns, gremlins, sprites, and wee people that will cause no end of mischief. And if they infect your RV... well, you have been warned....
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote