Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-14-2022, 12:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

TV/Satellite Help for 2013 View 24M

HI - until recently I owned a 2015 Georgetown 351DS bunkhouse. My husband passed away and a 36 feet long was just too big for just me. I sold that and purchased a 2013 View 24M which will be much better for my needs - which is mostly taking it to Penn State Football tailgating.

I think I know what I am doing with most of the RV systems but setting up the TV for portable satellite is where I need some guidance. This is just different enough from my Georgetown that I am doubting my abilities. I know in the back of the RV there is an input for portable satellite - which will get connected with a piece of coax. In the cabinet above the TV there is a connection for cable from the portable satellite - which I am assuming goes into the Dish receiver. There is also an HDMI input in the cabinet. Do I need to use an HDMI from the receiver into the HDMI slot in the cabinet? Am I done with just the cable? Outside, I see a connection for a cable and power to have a portable outdoor tv. Presuming that I just connect those to a TV and if the indoor is working then that will show the same program.

any guidance is appreciated. thanks!
dirievi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 08:01 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Hi, I see no one has responded yet so here is how I think it works.

1) You set an external portable satellite dish/antenna outside on the ground, on a stand, or a picnic table (etc..)
2) You connect that external portable satellite dish/antenna with a piece of coax to the connector labeled "Portable Satellite Dish" that is probably located in your shoreline compartment.
3) You connect a piece of coax in the cabinet by the TV from the connector labeled Portable Satellite Dish to the Wally Dish receiver.
4) You connect an HDMI cable from the Wally Dish receiver to the HDMI connector in the cabinet by the TV.
5) You go into the TV setup menu and select the HDMI input (you might have to try several of them until you find the correct one.)
6) You plug in the Wally Dish receiver, pay them whatever they charge these days, and follow the Dish instructions for setting everything up and acquiring the satellite signals.

This assumes you have a Wally Dish receiver. Dish makes several types of satellite receivers but they are generally the same concept to hook up.

It also assumes a previous owner has not gone in and made any changes to the wiring.

Good luck!
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 09:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I think Bones has it pretty straight and Ifully agreethat you want the outside dish connected to the box/ Wally with coax and from the box to the TV with HDMI cable.

But then there is the rooftop antenna or times when you may want to use a cable ata park somewhererather than the Dish. The Dish can be a big pain to get set to go again after moving a few hundred miles,so there are times when we wanted the local cable to get local news, weather and maybe local games which are often not on the Dish.

Some thought may be needed to get all three setups for choosing different ones for different reasons. It may need some really on-scene looking to sort how to get the cable connection to multi-purpose for Dish and cable. Tee, splitter, or video switch of some sort so that the signal can come in on the cable connection, go straight to the small swithc plate with the tiny little light where you choose either cable or rooftop. But then when using the Dish, you want that same connection to go to the dish box instead of the switchplate.

Then it also requires going into the menu on most newer TV and changing the "input" from HDMI to cable or over the air, so the TV knows what you are feeding it!

Hope that is not too much info to consider at one time!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 01:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

There's a lot of good information here: DishForMyRV

You can find a Playmaker Dish + Wally Receiver Bundle for less cost, look on Amazon.com for deals on new equipment for about $ 50 less.

The only receiver to go with for a portable dish is the Wally. It is the only one that is currently being supported and updated by Dish for new setups. You can add a external storage drive if you want to have DVR functionality.

In addition to the one time cost to buy the Playmaker Dish and the Receiver, the Dish service cost is at least $ 53 per month plus taxes and fees, but chances are you will pay more, for example local TV is another $ 12 per month, ESPN is $ 12 per month, Regional sports including Big 10 Ntwk is $ 12 more. Fox News and Weather Channel are NOT in the $ 53 package, either.

You can start and stop service on a monthly basis. Bottom line go into this with your eyes open, Dish for RV is EXPENSIVE per month. However -

If you have a home and use Dish for your home TV, then you can add the RV receiver to your existing account for $ 7 per month.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 02:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

A bit more info on how the wiring is expected to be laid out may help?

Check on these as they are for your year, make, model ,etc of RV:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File..._524m_wire.htm

Everything from 110 to 12 volt is in this group but way down at the bottom may be the most usefull for TV!

The first is a pretty generic set of drawings for each Rv and then one has to go down the group of drawings and locate which best fits the options you have like cable box, inside TV, outside TV, etc. That group gives a kind of "baseline" setup for RV from a simple rooftop to one with VCR and all kinds of other things added.

Then the second item at the bottom on this list is more of the physical layout of where the wires are run and more specific to your RV.
More what you expect to have and less of the "general idea" that anybody might have?

This second set may have some handy info on sorting which coax goes where as there is a code with tape at the coax ends on many of the coax and this drawing can show which colored tape should go where! This second set also can show where to find things like splitters where coax may come in on a single and branch to more than one going out. Like a TEE in a water line? Handy to find which cabinet they may have hidden it in, under, or beside!
Click this snip or go direct for more info!
Example?

Click image for larger version

Name:	TV.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	184434
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 10:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Inside working - outside not so much

Perfect advice on the inside tv.

Satellite was hooked in rear compartment to portable satellite jack
short cable from portable satellite out to dish receiver.
HDMI from receiver into jack in the wall.
result = inside tv works and the picture was crisp.

Outside - in the compartment next to the door, I put a piece of coax cable from a jack labeled Outdoor TV to a TV that I brought from home and mounted on a tripod stand and plugged it into the outlet in the same bay. I presumed I was going to get the same program as the indoor tv and that was not the case. (I did scan for channels several times). It also didn't work when I sacrificed the indoor tv and moved the dish receiver and HDMI cable outside. It did display a dish screen where it was running tests but the tests were a fail.

here's what i think I might need to do - if anyone can offer a better suggestion, I'm all ears. 2 out HDMI splitter from Dish receiver. 1 goes to HDMI jack in cabinet. 2nd goes out the kitchen window to the outdoor TV.
Dirievi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 01:13 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I think your results are the way it works unfortunately. The best case would be that in the outside compartment next to the door, Winnebago installed an HDMI connector. So you might look for that - maybe there is already an HDMI splitter installed somewhere inside. However, I don't see it on the wiring diagrams for your RV. Your idea to add an HDMI splitter from the Dish receiver to the exterior TV will work. Going out the window isn't ideal but better than nothing I suppose.

You could haul the Dish receiver outside, hook the coax from the Dish antenna directly to the receiver (bypassing the RV altogether), and then connect the Dish Receiver to the TV with an HDMI cable. That seems like a lot of work though.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite, view