Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-25-2020, 03:57 PM   #1

Totally new to this RV thing

I am praying that someone on this forum knows about what I need. We bought used a 1984 Winnepego Cheiftain I think 33 foot . It only has 57,000 miles on it, but it sat for years and years. It has everything pretty much in it but I dont believe it was hooked up correctly, so underneath there are wires everywhere. We are just a couple looking for RV bliss. We need 2 tires for it, but not sure how to even go about doing that. Anyway hi everyone
Purrfect312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You've bitten off a pretty big chunk, even for experienced folks. But given time, things can be made better, so what's the situation with you folks? Got questions?
One place to start is looking for information related to your specific RV and this link will give you info on how to ID your machine as a place to start the search:
https://www.winnebago.com/owners/own...entify-your-rv
Second step for me, would be to take a really close look to identify things that work or not, starting with the battery systems because few things will work without good batteries.
The tires? I would wait until I found I could get enough of the other systems working to actually need tires. Point being that if I can't get enough of the other stuff fixed to actually want to use the RV, there is little need to drive it! Tires are some of the simple but expensive parts, so I would defer on replacing them at this point.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:29 PM   #3

I'm sorry I didnt mean to not post what was wrong. The battery system we figured out, and we got the generator working. What's still a mystery is the Norcold refrigerator that doesnt get cold or anything. It runs on propane or electric but we cant seem to get it to turn on and work. I also need 2 tires, after I got to my rv park to stay for a few months, 2 tires magically went flat. Well one tire blew up and the other tire I think was slashed, so I really need to know what tires to get the tires currently on the RV in the front is LT 235 85R16 xps R18.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I agree with Morich about sorting things out before replacing tires, but you should determine how many need replacing so you have a good idea of what your restoration budget will be.

You say you need to replace two tires. Is that because they are worn more than the others or because they're too old? Be aware that tire age is important and most RV tires "age out" before they wear out. You should check the age code embossed on your tires. They all may be in need of replacement. The general rule is to replace at six years, ten at the outside. Here are some links:

Age Codes: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...e&gclsrc=aw.ds

Replacement Age: https://www.michelintruck.com/assets...e_RV_Tires.pdf
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrfect312 View Post
I'm sorry I didnt mean to not post what was wrong. The battery system we figured out, and we got the generator working. What's still a mystery is the Norcold refrigerator that doesnt get cold or anything. It runs on propane or electric but we cant seem to get it to turn on and work. I also need 2 tires, after I got to my rv park to stay for a few months, 2 tires magically went flat. Well one tire blew up and the other tire I think was slashed, so I really need to know what tires to get the tires currently on the RV in the front is LT 235 85R16 xps R18.
Right! I'm sorry to have totally missed the idea! My first picture was of somebody totally getting a potential nightmare as an old RV can really go downhill when not watched, so if you are just having a few troubles, that is GOOD!
A tire question and a frig that needs a look gives much better odds!
If you can find a label on the frig that gives a specific model number, I like to look at drawings and go at the repair with more info from online manuels, but if the model number is not handy, there are some common things that do go wrong with the common frig.
I assume you mean it SHOULD work on electric and propane but doesn't?
That probably means it normally goes on 12VDC or propane and when both fail, it may lean toward being a power problem as the 12VDC is needed to operate things even when turned on propane.
Do you have any lights on the front of the frig?
One quick check is to make sure the wires to the back of the frig are clean and connected well as that is a common problem. Need to verify that 12VDC is getting to the board on back as it might be a fuse or simply corroded wires.
We can get a better idea with the model number, though.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:38 PM   #6

The tires were used to park my RV at the park so I could further figure out how it all works. When we left the RV to go back into town with our truck, when we arrived back the rv one day later, we saw that one RV tire looks like it just blew up on us. My boyfriend thinks we were targeted and someone stabbed the tire. This I cant prove because like someone had said they get old and worn out. The following week the same thing happened to the other tire. We really are trying to get the RV running to take the RV out of there. At the very least get 2 tires so we can have AAA tow it outta there. (Yes I got the extra RV towing package) also as far as mechanical is concerned. Right now we think that the carburetor is not getting any gas because when you step on the pedal and that flap opens the rv doesbt have any gas flowing through the opening like it should. So our first thought was fuel pump.. what are your ideas?
Old 07-26-2020, 01:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The tires were used to park my RV at the park so I could further figure out how it all works. When we left the RV to go back into town with our truck, when we arrived back the rv one day later, we saw that one RV tire looks like it just blew up on us. My boyfriend thinks we were targeted and someone stabbed the tire.
If you checked the date code on the tire it very well could have shown that it was well over 8 years old. Such tires can just blow up.

I left a trailer inside a dark garage for over 10 years and one of the two tires just disintegrated. These were cheap tires for a small boat trailer.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:42 AM   #8

The model number for the fridge is Norcold model 8310EG3. Hope you can be some help
Old 07-27-2020, 07:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The tires were used to park my RV at the park so I could further figure out how it all works. When we left the RV to go back into town with our truck, when we arrived back the rv one day later, we saw that one RV tire looks like it just blew up on us. My boyfriend thinks we were targeted and someone stabbed the tire. This I cant prove because like someone had said they get old and worn out. The following week the same thing happened to the other tire. We really are trying to get the RV running to take the RV out of there. At the very least get 2 tires so we can have AAA tow it outta there. (Yes I got the extra RV towing package) also as far as mechanical is concerned. Right now we think that the carburetor is not getting any gas because when you step on the pedal and that flap opens the rv doesbt have any gas flowing through the opening like it should. So our first thought was fuel pump.. what are your ideas?
Given the cost of new tires, if there's any doubt about keeping the rig, I'd suggest buying two used tires now (probably $75 ea) and wait for a full replacement which is almost certainly in the cards. I'm basing my cost estimate on what I paid for a used spare for my MH.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:54 AM   #10

Alright, yeah the more I researched the more I realized that tires would be inevitable. We just got the RV so we dobt intend on getting rid of it anytime soon thanks for the info
Old 07-27-2020, 10:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Alright, yeah the more I researched the more I realized that tires would be inevitable. We just got the RV so we dobt intend on getting rid of it anytime soon thanks for the info
Stick with name brands and you'll be OK. A lot of Winnieowners and other RVers swear by Michelins but they're premium priced and, IMHO aren't necessary except for those putting high mileage on their tires such as full-timers. For the rest of us they's age out before wearing out.

I purchased Uniroyals on the recommendation of a highly recommended truck tire shop that also specializes in RVs. According to the shop, Uniroyals and Michelins share quite a bit in technology, formulation and manufacturing (Uniroyal is a Michelin subsidiary) with Michelin having the edge on mileage. I saved a considerable amount of money.

Good luck with your project.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The model number for the fridge is Norcold model 8310EG3. Hope you can be some help
Coming up empty on the look for a Norcold manual for that model, meaning one of several things. It may be a model they no longer carry , etc. but there are other ways to go.
So how are you on being able to take a few pictures of the front controls and back panel? What we often find is that the model number may change but a lot of the parts don't. So if we can see the parts in the back and know what controls are on the front, we can make some guesses on what might be good to check. One big point is what it needs to run, propane is one you've said but is it 12VDC electric or 110 AC? Good chance it is 12VDC when not really new.

Do you have a meter to read voltages?

For the tire question, some thought on how you see using the RV and what money situation, can change the answer for what is likely to be better. Those who planned tons of driving and doing it almost full time, will be likely to get better use out of really good tire like Michlin but for many of us who do not drive except on vacation, the middle grade or lower tires last plenty long enough. In my case. I simply do not spend money, even if I have it, until I see a real need, so the truth is that we have had RV of some sort for a really long time and never have we bought a set of tires for any we have owned! I did blow a tire on a truck camper at one point but that was the only tire problem we have had! On your age motorhome, I might simply go for price but do get actual truck tires of the correct size, weight rating, etc.