Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2020, 10:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Exclamation Soon To Be Winnie Owner!

Hello All!

My husband and I are excited to become part of this incredible community. We are moving in January from Virginia to California (Oh, Air Force life!). I grew up camping (tents, pop-ups, rvs..) and when my husband was considering buying a trailer, I convinced him to look at Class C's and he is in love! We are looking to purchase our RV for our big move across the country!

I'm hoping to get advice about the newer models... We've been looking at Class Cs on the smaller side, such as the Outlook 22C, Minnie Winnie 22M and most recently the Vita 24P. We love the compact size but are torn with which model to get! Needless to say, I will be looking at the Class C forum extensively for advice and reviews! Feel free to message me with your own! Can't wait to hear from you all
Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome aboard! I'm retired USAF but we bought our Minnie Winnie well after retirement. Wish we would have done it sooner!

Indeed there is a wealth of information here and on iRV2 (similar RV site). But don't be afraid or ashamed to ask about anything you don't know or understand.

Ours is a 2016 27Q which is perfect for us and the cat, but unfortunately Winnebago no longer makes that model. If its just the two of you, the 22 should be sufficient. If you have and Air Force brat or two, or plan to have some, consider the 31H or K models.

Again, welcome to the RV world. You'll love it!
Old 10-19-2020, 12:39 PM   #3
Site Team

Hi Firefly,
My wife and I rented all four sizes from Cruise America before purchasing our Minnie Winnie 22M. I am 100% satisfied with my purchase, and feel it is the optimum Motorhome size for touring and traveling. The E-450 frame gives me 4,200 pounds of cargo-carrying capacity, plus the wider stance, stiffer springs and beefier anti-sway bars produce more side-to-side stability. Because the E-450 has the same gear ratio as the E-350 versions of the 22M, your only penalty is a couple of hundred extra pounds of frame, springs, etc. Lightly loaded and not going much over 60 MPH, I get up to 10 MPG, but heavily loaded and doing 70 MPH, you will get 8 MPG. The V-10 is a well-established engine, the new V-8 has great reports, and the 6-speed automatic has even increments between the gears, so it is very civilized on its downshifts when going uphill. The "Trailer Tow" mode is also wonderful, as just a quick tap of the brakes will give you a downshift, thereby giving you compression braking. Need another downshift? Just tap the brakes again.
When my wife and I took my adult son and his wife, along with our 100 pound dog, on a two-night fun trip, we were very comfortable in the 22M. The slide-out Queen birth in the back lends itself to extra privacy (when compared to the 22R.) The fresh water tank is great at 40 gallons, and with the grey & black tanks at 45 & 40 respectively, you have wonderful plumbing capacity.
One final bonus about having a shorter motorhome is parking. I have three aft-viewing cameras in mine (both mirrors and rear-center) and because the rear overhang is fairly generous, I can back into some normal parking spots that have clear-space behind them. That has turned into a bonus on many occasions.
Let us know how it goes, OK?
Thanks, Eagle5
Here is the Firefly. They are faster than a Winnebago with Wings:

UNLESS, of course, your Winnebago has Hyperjets!
Old 10-19-2020, 05:18 PM   #4
RVCalypso

Buy the one that is right for you! I would first think hard about what type of camping you plan on doing. If you are planning on boondocking you may want to look at units with a two-way refrigerator. If you are planning on doing the RV park thing a residential refrigerator will be fine. We looked at the 22R and 22M and decided on the 25B. For us the couch was a game-changer. Sitting in an upright booth is ok while eating, however, not real comfortable for long periods. The 25B is very maneuverable and will fit in 92% of state and federal campgrounds.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I personally find the Class C lineup the perfect "middle of the road". Prior to our 2017 Minnie Winnie 31D (32'9"), we had a Lazy Daze Rear Bath (27'). Even the smaller Lazy Daze had plenty of room on long trips. I do like the 80" Queen bed in our MW 31D. I was browsing out of curiosity yesterday and noticed that Lichtstinn has a 2018 31D for sale from their rental fleet for 69K. (We bought new). Looked hard at the 25B before buying, it's lack of counter space was one reason we went with the 31D. Since you're moving to California, I would suggest looking at Lazy Daze as another option if you're not already 100% sold on Minnie Winnie. If nothing else, you'd see the "pros and cons" of both brands. Good luck in your search!
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Vita 24P

We have the Vita 24p. The carrying capacity is not as great as the minnies, but the ride is awesome. We just got back from a 10 day two stop trip. We averaged 14 miles per gallon. We have the dreaded residential refrigerator, but have stopped for 3 days and had no issues with batteries without using generator. It is a tough decision, and if you wish to explore the Vita join the Vita/Porto group on face book we are over three hundred strong with this model only.
By the way we drove from California to Oregon, to Idaho, Wyoming, and South Dakota and it pulled like a work horse. That trip net 13 mpg at elevations to 9500 feet.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you all for your input! We really love the Outlook but the way they are selling, we might have to look at other models so thank you for your expertise. Yes, we have ventured down the 'used' avenue but really love the safety features of the newer models.

@Eagle5, The 22M is our backup plan (mainly due to the price), but you add further proof that it's a solid rig! And yes, both of those references are amazing, but we are huge Serenity fans, so that is what we will name our RV after

@Lenore We also were considering the Vita 24P though the price of the newer models was a bit of sticker shock from what we have seen. But that is awesome to see the MPG and how it performs. Good to know!
Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:54 PM   #8
Site Team

Hi Firefly,
Serenity is a great movie. I loved the Firefly series too.
As you have until January for your move, you might ask your dealer if they would be willing to place a factory order for you. Hopefully, they would be able to give you a great price accordingly. The Outlook 22C cannot be ordered with an E-450 frame, so you wouldn't have the cargo capacity with it. Best of luck for you to get a great deal on what you need.
Eagle5
Old 10-25-2020, 06:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Which Winnebago to buy?

We just purchased an 05 Minnie Winnie Drop 26A. It is just under 27' and we love it. We pick it up Monday. It has loads of storage, the craftmanship by the manufacturer is superior to others. Beautiful design features (on all Winnebago's for that matter). Anyway, go with your instinct. We were looking for a smaller one but this one will give us more sleeping capacity if we need it and is roomier. Before we actually saw it in person we could tell it was special by it's many features. Instinct told us this was the one and we were right. Good luck.
Grandparat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:05 AM   #10
Site Team

Hi Grandparat1,
Sounds like a nice motorhome. I wonder if it is this exact one in the video below?
Welcome to the Forum!
Eagle5
Old 10-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Minnie - Eagle 5 Reply

Exactly like the one we bought except for the dishwasher, ours has a chair. Thanks for sharing that video.
Grandparat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:24 AM   #12
Site Team

Hi Firefly,
I just noticed that the current model year E-350 frames now carry 1,000 more pounds than prior years. This means the 22M E-350s are not as "on the edge" GVWR-wise.
FYI; Eagle5