Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2020, 05:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

RV Newbie

Brand new to RV’ing, haven’t purchased yet but after exhaustive research have decided on a View 24D due to the configuration, storage, kitchen space, and overall combination of features. Optioning painted, auto leveling jacks, matching cab seat, and entertainment center. Still undecided about either a diesel gen or the LI battery.

Shopping different dealers nationwide back and forth for the best deal. Won’t go cross country just to save a couple thousand over local, but a consistent theme seems to be can get a good price (~30% off MSRP) but pay some kind of prep/set up of get a slightly higher price but with this prep cost baked in. Looks like deposit now for a spring delivery.

Any suggestions for good dealers, personal experiences, advantage of local, or any other advice very welcome.
37NG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:48 AM   #2
RVCalypso

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37NG View Post
Still undecided about either a diesel gen or the LI battery.

Any suggestions for good dealers, personal experiences, advantage of local, or any other advice very welcome.
For me lithium is a must! No opinion on diesel gen. I would assume you have a choice of diesel or propane. You asked for dealer recommendations but did not indicate your state. It's hard to give recommendation. If I were ever to buy another new unit I would look at the service department and see if the give preferential treatment to customers who bought their units there. I once bought a unit in Phoenix but lived in Tucson (100 miles away.) When it came time for warrantly work I took it to the Tucson dealer and had to wait longer for an appointment date. Just a thought.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurroz View Post
For me lithium is a must! No opinion on diesel gen. I would assume you have a choice of diesel or propane. You asked for dealer recommendations but did not indicate your state. It's hard to give recommendation. If I were ever to buy another new unit I would look at the service department and see if the give preferential treatment to customers who bought their units there. I once bought a unit in Phoenix but lived in Tucson (100 miles away.) When it came time for warrantly work I took it to the Tucson dealer and had to wait longer for an appointment date. Just a thought.
Live in Mich. Lots of up north/Canada (when we can) fair possibility of dry camping. I guess the View fridge does not run off of propane other than by generator �� I get the service pref if you bought it from them. Most
Likely one of the General RV stores if a Mich purchase,, probably Lichtsinn if out of state....
Old 10-13-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

1. Propane vs. Diesel Generator - I would always go for the generator that used the same fuel as my engine. You're refilling your fuel tank frequently so it's unlikely the generator will cause you to run out. It's more of a hassle to refill your propane tank and it has less capacity. You can also, refill your fuel tank from a can, if necessary. Not so easy with propane. Save your propane for heat and cooking.

2. Lithium (actually Lithium Iron Phosphate) batteries are a great choice, but, from what I've read on this and other forums, the option price can be grossly inflated. If you're at all handy, there is a ton of info online that makes it a reasonable DIY project. Personally, I'd forego the option and wait a while until I've educated myself and decided whether or not they were for me. It's not like the generator question where you have to make the decision before purchase. Retrofitting, whether you DIY, or pay someone to do it isn't a big deal and will most likely save you money.

3. You didn't mention solar, which I think is at least, if not more of a priority, than Lithium batteries. I don't know if it's an option but, as with the Lithium battery issue, I'd forego the option and retrofit after I'd educated myself.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:15 AM   #5
Site Team

Some RV Dealership chains like to charge a PDI Fee. And that's nuts if you ask me.

PDI is an important part of buying an RV and it shouldn't cost extra. I'd walk away from a dealer that wants me to pay for PDI.

NOTE: Right now RVs are selling like hotcakes and the View is a huge seller. So, it's possible that dealers are making the most of the short supply by charging and add on fee, like car dealers do when they have a hot model in short supply.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

In case anyone else has been wondering about PDI, it's Pre-Delivery Inspection (I had to Google it).

It's always a good idea to define acronyms. One time a poster needed HWH help. I and many others assumed he had either an HWH jack or slider issue. As it turned out, his Hot Water Heater wasn't working.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 01:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I would go with Lichstinn in Forest City. No delivery miles. Great 4.6 score on Google. My only criticism of them is how they advertise prices. (They show the sticker minus a bogus trade in amount to arrive at a new purchase price).

Bought new from Bullyan in Duluth MN in '16. Service was ok but I switched to the Forest City Winnebago Service Center as it is the same distance from my S+B and they always get the job done with a smile (especially when I reach for my checkbook).
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
1. Propane vs. Diesel Generator - I would always go for the generator that used the same fuel as my engine. You're refilling your fuel tank frequently so it's unlikely the generator will cause you to run out. It's more of a hassle to refill your propane tank and it has less capacity. You can also, refill your fuel tank from a can, if necessary. Not so easy with propane. Save your propane for heat and cooking.

2. Lithium (actually Lithium Iron Phosphate) batteries are a great choice, but, from what I've read on this and other forums, the option price can be grossly inflated. If you're at all handy, there is a ton of info online that makes it a reasonable DIY project. Personally, I'd forego the option and wait a while until I've educated myself and decided whether or not they were for me. It's not like the generator question where you have to make the decision before purchase. Retrofitting, whether you DIY, or pay someone to do it isn't a big deal and will most likely save you money.

3. You didn't mention solar, which I think is at least, if not more of a priority, than Lithium batteries. I don't know if it's an option but, as with the Lithium battery issue, I'd forego the option and retrofit after I'd educated myself.
Thanks good info on the gen echos others experiences and suggestions.

Put a deposit down on a 24D today for a custom build

Mistral II FBP, Diesel Gen, Dinette seating, Hyd auto level jacks, entertainment center, no Primera. Est March delivery

Tags