Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-28-2021, 05:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Purchase question

Hi all! I am in the process of purchasing a 2019 Travato and the dealer wants to sell me a very pricey extended warranty. What experience have you guys had with these? Are they worth it? Did you buy one, and would you do it again? I’m just looking for a little guidance and would appreciate hearing your experiences with them.
Gary100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:23 AM   #2
Site Team

It’s often discussed and highly personal decision. First, the dealership is the worst place to buy one. They just resell plans they buy wholesale at wildly marked up prices 200% - 300% markup is not unusual. Then they try to negotiate with you by taken part of that markup off so you think you’re getting a great deal. You can buy one yourself without the markup if you want one.

Next decision is do you want one?

First it’s not a “warranty”. It’s an extended mechanical service contract. It’s an insurance product. You are betting that a costly mechanical problem will happen and they’re betting it won’t or that it won’t amount to what you’ve paid for the insurance.

When this is discussed you’ll hear how it’s been a great help to cover huge costs and you’ll hear that it’s been a waste of money.

One thing is generally overlooked is the hassle these policies add to repairs. Each repair must be approved by the company and they have the power to say yes, no or we’ll cover this but not that.

I’m trying to be fair, but you can probably tell that I’m not a fan of these kinds of products.

When I bought my MH in 2017 a 5-yr service contract was quoted at $4,800. I decided not to buy a service contract. In the nearly 4-yrs I’ve owned the coach the total I’ve spent on repairs that would have been covered is less than $1,200. Now, in the next year something expensive could change that but I’m willing to take that risk.

You need to decide for yourself.

To get a quote from someone else other than your dealer, contact Wholesale Warranty https://wholesalewarranties.com/ or Coach-Net https://coach-net.com/rv-protect/.

One more thing your dealer will try to sell you any number of other overpriced “options” at closing. Most of us say no to them all.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You have to exercise your “NO” muscle. Form your lips into a circle and repeat after me. No, no, no, no.
Paying for a new RV is expensive enough. Buying extras at closing is like throwing hundred dollar bills into a lit fireplace. Anything added at closing is pure dealer profit and of marginal value to the buyer. I’ve been in the RV business, and Creative is absolutely right about the absurd dealer mark-up on after market products.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Part of the question also has to involve your personal money situation. How a big bill might effect your life is one thing to consider.
Does a $2000 dollar bill suddenly totally ruin the life or is it just a big bump that has to be worked around?
Are you financed to the point that the insurance would have to be done in payments so that the initial cost of a few thousand is really going to run more into ten thousand if it is made in payments?
They tend to try to get you to think of it as "only a few dollars more", when the total is going to be way, wat more when looking at the payment schedule. Paying interest to avoid paying for repairs is a certain way to never get things paid for!!
If financing the insurance, forget about it and just do the finance for the big bill when/if it does come around !
It takes a dedicated mindset but the far better way to deal with repairs is to look at what the insurance may cost, over time, put that amount of money aside to grow and then you will have a nice stash to pay any bills that might/might not come around.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

As the owner of 2 Travatos, I personally would not buy an extended warranty. I did have an issue with the Nova Kool fridge in the 1st 59K. I called Nova Kool, they sent me the replacement part, then I watched the provided YouTube video and did the work myself. Unlike some of the more sophisticated RVs, the Travato is less so. If you’re buying a used unit, it would depend on how much it was used. A lot of Travatos are lightly used for camping. Make sure you check the generator hrs and have the dealer change the oil in it before you buy it.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase