Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2018, 07:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Our first RV

Hi
We are Chuck and Judi from the smallest state in the union. We just purchased our first RV. It is a Winne Chieftain 22 vintage 1986. It needs tons of work but we hope to take it on the road some day.
If there are any other Winne owners of this or other close model that would be generous enough to share their knowledge and experience with us, we would greatly appreciate any thing you can offer.
The manuals that came with this unit create more questions than answers and there is zero info on the chassis which is where the bulk of the attention is needed.
If anyone knows where the fuel pump is and weather it is mechanical or electric on a Chevy chassis with a 454 engine, that would be a great place to start.
We are looking forward to a great experience with this community. Thanks and have a wonderful day.
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi Chuck and welcome! Congrats on the RV; I hope you have many happy miles. There are many helpful posters here, so feel free to post questions.

Also, there is a dedicated Chevy Workhorse Chassis section on iRV2 (parent forum to Winnie Owners). CLICK HERE!
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Normally, the fuel pump is mounted on top of the fuel tank - electric. I had an RV class A 1990 with Chevy chassis / 454 throttle body. Good luck. Hope your handy with tools and vehicle mechanics. 1st thing I did on it, in 1995 when I bought it, was a full veh & engine tune up - everything - belts, hoses, plugs, wires, filters, vacuum lines and every fluid replaced and every zerk lubed - if I could take it off - it was replaced. Given its a GM unit, was not hard to find matching parts. Just dig in.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

For info on vintage Winnies, check out the Retro forum:

Vintage Rigs - Retro is cool! - Winnebago Owners Online Community

I'm sure there are lots of folks there who will be happy to help you out. Fortunately most of what you need to know isn't too model/year specific.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Congrats and good luck with the work!
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote