Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2019, 02:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Nice to be here - 2019 1808FBS

Yet another newbie to RVing. Wife and I purchased a new 2019 1808FBS in June. Learning a lot from sites like this, and also from my mistakes!
--Jeff
Music Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:51 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Enjoy...you purchased a great trailer...we have a similar, but a 2018 1706FB. We have hauled/camped with it about 8 times, before having to put it to bed for the Winter, after having purchased it last September. Each trip out, will bring more confidence and quicker set-ups!

Happy trails, and oh...each year, or every 10,000 miles, clean and re-pack all your four hubs/bearings. Re-torque your wheel nuts after 70-100 miles of travel, so specified ft/lbs, is put on the wheel nuts, or any time any wheel comes off, for any reason. Tips, over...lol!
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks Sun Seeker! So every time I stop to fill up for gas (usually 100+ miles...) I need to check the wheel nuts?
Old 11-26-2019, 02:03 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
Thanks Sun Seeker! So every time I stop to fill up for gas (usually 100+ miles...) I need to check the wheel nuts?
No, no...ONLY after you have had a wheel off...either for maintenance, or as a result of a flat tire. Only then...you need to re-torque ANY wheel, (after having gone 70-100 miles) even your car/truck/van, after a tire/rim RE and RE. When you see a person's tire going down the road faster than they are...ahead of them....well...no re-torque! Once you do that wheel RE and RE re-torque, you are good to go, until next time you remove the wheel for a tire change, flat repair, or bearing or brake(s) maintenance.

One thing that is always good to get into the habit to do;...is every Monday morning, before you start the car, or each Monday of a vacation week with the trailer in tow....walk around all four wheels and LOOK to see if any of your wheel lug nuts have backed off...and are sitting out on the stud threads, away from flush to the rim. That way, you will never have a tire fall-off and runaway.

What happens, is that as the tire spins (after having been Re and RE'd), the rim flexes and 'exercises'. That can loosen the proper torque pressure that the tire lug nut exerts, and can lead to the lug nut loosening and backing out onto the tire stud threads and eventually falling right off the stud. That is what causes tire run a-ways, more than wheel bearings burning out, etc.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Yikes

Oh, now I get it! Boy, that image of a wheel passing you on the road is a wake-up call for sure. Thanks for clarifying for this newbie. I will be super diligent after I have my first tire event. Hopefully not for a while!
Old 11-26-2019, 02:10 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Oh, now I get it! Boy, that image of a wheel passing you on the road is a wake-up call for sure. Thanks for clarifying for this newbie. I will be super diligent after I have my first tire event. Hopefully not for a while!
Just one more thing...most all OEM tires on RV/TT's are what owners eventually call; 'China Bombs'! They have (unfortunately) a high incidence of side wall blow out, or tread separation off of the carcass. This mostly happens (when being reported by owners...) is when O.E.M (Original Equipment Manufacturers) tires as delivered on your new, or even late year, re-sale, RV/TT...is pretty much rotating upon the roadway, BEYOND 60 MPH. Mostly at 65-70 MPH, is when the carcass gets hot enough to compromise the side wall, or tread cap on the tire carcass.

Solution? Get full service life of the tire, in tread depth, and always better MPG, if you stay at 55-60 MPH, (no higher...your choice of course!) when TT towing, or even operating a motor-home.

I personally, want the best and most efficient bang for my fuel buck...so, I will never go over 60 MPH, while on interstates, or secondary two lane county highways, unless in passing a slower transport truck ahead in my lane. Then, back to 60 at cruise. Secondly...IF...you ever have a blow out on a single axle tow...man...you want to get over to the side of the road ASAP...and not hopefully, trying to control a widely swaying TT at 65-75 mph! That's why dual axle (Tandem) trailers are simply the most safe undercarriage TT you can own. If you suffer a blowout, you still have one inflated tire on that side to take you down and over to the side of the road, or better yet, off the road into a Travel Centre.

Just some things to ponder, as you create your own personal vacation tow, 'M.O'.... For myself...60 mph...is plenty, (and max speed), as you tow a multi-thousand pound load behind you. We/I are on vacation...and should allow road time, built into those vacation plans. Just my thoughts.

Happy, and safe (always!) trails...

Sun Seeker
Old 11-26-2019, 05:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Got it...55-60mph max. Besides, I'm retired, and as the Rolling Stones sang many years ago, "T-i-m-e is on my side..yes it is."
Old 11-27-2019, 03:06 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Got it...55-60mph max. Besides, I'm retired, and as the Rolling Stones sang many years ago, "T-i-m-e is on my side..yes it is."
You are cleared for take-off...to anywhere! Have fun! We live in Ontario, Canada, and the next major TT towing vacation, will be heading down to Alabama, just north of the Florida State line... Ocean swimming, hiking (wife loves hiking) SHRIMP...crabs, put-put, ocean swimming, hiking, SHRIMP, crabs...put-put, ocean swimming...well...you get the pattern, LOL!

Post Edit: BTW, within the put-put entry, the LOSER over 18 holes, has to buy a waffle two scoop ice-cream cone for the winner,...so the competition is wicked between her, and I....

Sun Seeker