Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-15-2021, 11:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Newest RV GPS

We just traded for a 2021 Vista L and would like to add a new RV GPS. I've looked over past threads which are a bit dated. I'd like updates from anybody that's recently researched RV GPS units.
PJTroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 11:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Garmin rv 770

We purchased the Garmin RV 770. Liked the features of being able to enter my rv size and height and that is used in calculating the directions. Also like the clear indications for when to exit. Added features will also indicate food and gas stations along the path. I believe it will also indicate rv parks-but disabled that feature. Also will show your speed and the posted limit (found a few times where it indicated lower than posted, 65 and posted 75).
Overall very happy with it and won’t travel without it. Built-in WiFi for map updates and lifetime maps.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:05 PM   #3
Site Team

I think the newest is a Garmin 8" model the 890 or a new 10" model the 1090.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Naviga.../dp/B089DMTQFT
Old 03-15-2021, 02:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

We like the Garmin but do not use the RV specific model as we had the other first. One point mentioned above may be just a bit of not knowing the full features yet as the posted speeds are something which change often and they have made it a user settable item.
By touching the posted speed, it brings up a screen to increase or decrease the limit.

Some of the small points are hidden in options where one has to go looking around to find a lot of the funny little features that we like.
Things like display of the altitude are there but it takes a bit to get used to finding some of those small points.

We have no one place to find all the stuff we want like campgrounds, but find to get the complete scoop we can use online items like RV Parky but they tend to show the commercial sites and often skip the small local parks and things we like, so Google Maps and search for RV campgrounds often turns up places we would miss by using and single site.

Big point for us is to never fully trust any mechanical brain to agree with what you want! Do not trust the "shortest route" setting as it can get you on some real goat paths which is not good when towing a car!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We just purchased the Garmin RV 785 as a replacement to a failed Garmin RV 770. The new one has a built in dash cam which I like. Full disclosure, the RV rides so rough that the camera video is jittery - but more than adequate to capture an event with enough detail to matter. As others have said, the Garmin RV units have specific features for RV routing (I think it's just big rig routing with tweaks, but I don't know that for sure...). This unit also has built in traffic, which is interesting but not important in my opinion. I'm a Garmin fan, so there may be other options that I wouldn't know anything about. Never considered anything except Garmin. PM me if you want more detail on the unit etc...
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps