Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2022, 01:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Newby 2017 Winnie Drop 170s Lighting?

Hi there! This is my first post on here although I’ve had an account for a few years. I have a couple questions if anyone can help me out I would love it!
We have a 2017 Winnie Drop 170s. I love it, but since the day we bought it 5 years ago I have always thought it is too dark in the camper (with the tinted windows and all). Can anyone tell me best lightbulbs to replace the ones that came with it, that are lighter and brighter? Furthermore, can anyone tell me how to remove the light fixture? I don’t know if the whole thing comes off or if I’m supposed to pry the plastic cover off.

I appreciate any help you can offer, and thanks in advance!

Paige
traumaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Congrats on getting into the RV thing!
But that often does mean we get into looking at how we might change it!
So since there may not be tooo many who know that specific trailer well, is it possible to post up a picture of the lights you might want to change? There are lots of different types,shapes sizes and some come apart in different ways?

For a quick rundown on posting, the picture needs to be on your computer, not on a picture posting site.
Then when the picture is ready, click the "go advanced" tag below.
That gets you a screen with a paperclip at top center.
Click,and follow to select the pic.

Big thing is to not miss the "upload"!
And it's always good to check things before sending the post?

But for bulbs, I always look for LED and that leaves a really wide area, so what I like may/may not fit you?

I go for a really bright white light and that can get into what is called Kelvin rating. Ratings of 6500K is what I like as operating room blue /white but other prefer 3200 K as a more orange color.

But there are LED to fit almost any fixture and they are becoming very cheap so some playing around to find what you like is nota bank breaker.
First point may be to get the cover off to see what you have and then fit the bulb to that. The base shape is a big thing!

Lots of covers come off if we squeeze at the edges of the plastic covers, just enough to let little tabs comeoutof small points around the light edge? Newish covers like you have are not bad but older get brittle and can break when we squeeze!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic post.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	183142  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

New to choosing LED bulbs?
A couple points.
I shop here as really much cheaper but like tofind those already in this country to avoid waiting.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...fLoc=1&_sop=15

I math th ebase type, then look at two items. One is the number of chips(LED) on the bulb and size of those chips.
Nine 3030 chips will put out more light than 5 or 7 of the same size.
There are 5050 chips and that is the size as 30X30 is smaller.
So looking for the combo of more and larger gewts more light but then you want to look at what color (kelvin) and sor to try for what you feel might suit best.

And that can get tricky if there are others using different eyes???

Biggest potential outside of getting somthing you don't like is finding it doesn't work, so you need to turn it over as the LED is picky about polarity (positive/negative of the battery) I think I must run about 75 % wrong on the first try!
Old 06-08-2022, 02:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for your help!!

Thank you for your quick response.. I’ve attached two photos of the two different sized light fixtures we have. It doesn’t feel like I can squeeze the plastic cover off but maybe pry off the whole bottom piece.. I read somewhere to use a flathead screwdriver to pry it off but I wanted to get second opinions because I don’t want to break anything
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E6AF261E-1621-4754-9C91-52DBC0E95DB4.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	183143   Click image for larger version

Name:	115DCB18-50D3-4F19-A3C8-F18FFE4AB74B.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	183144  

Old 06-08-2022, 02:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

It looks like light on the bottom has a screw that holds the lens on.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

A little progress made

Thank you so much for all the info! So I got one cover off and to my surprise it’s not even lightbulbs inside! I attached a picture for you to see. Turns out the light strip is blinding bright! Maybe I just need new covers that are a little more clear 🤷*♀️ Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DC2A8E95-0AB3-4BE5-87F0-BA2FD69E4458.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	183145   Click image for larger version

Name:	598137C2-624E-459A-8550-28552AFE7699.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	183146  

Old 06-08-2022, 04:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Ouch! Those do look bright even from here!
But they also look like something I thought of after posting. Since they are already LED and made that way, I'm thinking there is no practical alternate to changing the whole light if you want change!
I may be totally wrong but my guess would be that it is hard to find a cover to match???
Old 06-08-2022, 04:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

True, I’ve been looking for an hour and can’t find a replacement lens. Maybe I will try to remove the frosted coating on one of them and see how that goes and if I like it.. I’m really not sure how but I appreciate all of your tips and advice, thanks again so much

Tags
light