Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2021, 02:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Newbie with 2022 View 24D

Hi, new to our 2022 View 24D and new to a Class C (have always had a TT, even when growing up). It seems to have a lot less room than my 25’ TT without the ability to do too many modifications for storage and the sizes of things are weird (like the back third of the closet being too narrow for a regular hanger but the rest of the closet can use regular hangars). Also having a hard time getting used to the microwave/convection oven. Just made banana bread (reducing the recipe time and temperature by 25%), and it was liquid in the middle but done on top and pulling away from the sides. ☹️ Kind of nervous about cooking dinner. I’m used to a propane oven that let me put in more than one pan of food - I couldn’t find a two tier rack to buy anywhere, so I brought along a toaster oven so I can make more than one thing at a time.

Lots of questions, e.g., why is the slide room light flashing green? How to put the privacy screens in the windows? (We just kind of jammed them in.) Is it possible to buy a different mattress? We added two layers of memory foam, but that’s not optimal. Do they make sheets for the mattress? (I only found sheets for the cab area).

This is the first time that we’ve taken it out. I’m sure it will get better. Kind of frustrating right now though, and I miss my TT (though the View is much prettier than anything I’ve ever owned before).
MorningStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 03:08 PM   #2
Wood Song — Journey

MorningStar, The View and Navion are more or less the same vehicle. Check out the Newstate Nomads YouTube videos for all that they have done with their Navion. I hope that this helps.
https://www.youtube.com/c/NewstateNomads/videos
Wil_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 03:30 PM   #3
Site Team

Hi MorningStar,
Some folks like using the Owner's Manual as a PDF, then the <Ctrl/F> search function can help you quickly find answers. Another nifty way to see posts about your new motorhome is to search this site for 24D. Also, searching for mattress will lead you to many other folks who have found more comfortable mattresses.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 10-30-2021, 03:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi MorningStar,
Some folks like using the Owner's Manual as a PDF, then the <Ctrl/F> search function can help you quickly find answers. Another nifty way to see posts about your new motorhome is to search this site for 24D. Also, searching for mattress will lead you to many other folks who have found more comfortable mattresses.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Thank you. I have the pdf on my phone, but I wasn’t having much luck finding what I needed. I appreciate the search tips!
Old 10-30-2021, 04:21 PM   #5
Site Team

If your slide room light is flashing Green then smile because that means it's in sync and good working order. I have one that always blinks green and another that sometimes blinks green and I work at keeping them sync'd.

Oh, maybe you don't know about syncing your slide out motors. There are two motors that power your slide out, they are in the wall and at the top side of your slide out. They work absolute best when the two motors are fully sync'd together - left and right. See, when the motors spin to put the slide out and in the controller counts the rotations and to keep the slide going straight they need to be on the same rotation... i.e. synced.

To keep them synced up you hold the slide switch down until the slide is fully out and then you hold it longer still. Sometimes the motors will "whine" which is "torquing out" You want to wait for that to finish. The controller will know when one motor stops and sometimes it will then catch up the other motor to get them on the same rotation.

After I'm done bringing my slides in or out I hold the slide button a good long time. Then I let up on the button. Then I'll push the button again and I'll hear a brief motor start sound and a CLICK. I do this multiple times until pushing the slide button does nothing. When both motors CLICK that's when everything is in sync and the green light flashes.

There are tons pf places that sell custom RV mattresses. Your Murphy bed is 60 by 75. Mattress Insider is a well known one: https://www.mattressinsider.com. Plus they sell sheets and linens for RV mattresses, too.

Search Amazon for "Convention Microwave cookware" and you'll find lots of options. Here'a a link for a tiered rack:

https://www.amazon.com/Baking-Sharp-.../dp/B00DV211Z2

The more you use your lovely RV the more you'll love it. So, keep going and solve the little problems one at a time.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you. I didn’t know about syncing, and I appreciate the links re: mattresses, bedding, and the rack for the convection oven. I’m sure things will work out, but making dinner was a struggle tonight. Fortunately, I brought wine LOL.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you!
Old 10-31-2021, 06:33 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningStar View Post
Thank you. I didn’t know about syncing, and I appreciate the links re: mattresses, bedding, and the rack for the convection oven. I’m sure things will work out, but making dinner was a struggle tonight. Fortunately, I brought wine LOL.
Meals in an RV can be… are… different than “at home.” We move lots of cooking outdoors. Grills (or griddles, your choice.) are key. We cook lots of things in foil packets (hobo packs) on the grill. And yes, the “toaster” oven gets a work out.

When we’re in daily travel mode we have preplanned meals, frozen meals, made ahead meals. For instance, we have a routine of having take out pizza the night before a trip starts. That way there’s no cooking that last night at home and very little clean up needed. We get one huge pizza or two mediums. This leaves a lot of pizza left over. So, we package the leftovers up, two slices to a bag and put them in the RV freezer. That way we’ve taken care of 3 or 4 future quick on the go lunches or dinners if we don’t feel like cooking.

Whatever works for you, but don’t get stuck in a box that says dinners on the RV have to be just like home.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I’m used to doing a lot of cooking when we go camping, or at least that was the case when we were in my TT.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
If your slide room light is flashing Green then smile because that means it's in sync and good working order. I have one that always blinks green and another that sometimes blinks green and I work at keeping them sync'd.

Oh, maybe you don't know about syncing your slide out motors. There are two motors that power your slide out, they are in the wall and at the top side of your slide out. They work absolute best when the two motors are fully sync'd together - left and right. See, when the motors spin to put the slide out and in the controller counts the rotations and to keep the slide going straight they need to be on the same rotation... i.e. synced.

To keep them synced up you hold the slide switch down until the slide is fully out and then you hold it longer still. Sometimes the motors will "whine" which is "torquing out" You want to wait for that to finish. The controller will know when one motor stops and sometimes it will then catch up the other motor to get them on the same rotation.

After I'm done bringing my slides in or out I hold the slide button a good long time. Then I let up on the button. Then I'll push the button again and I'll hear a brief motor start sound and a CLICK. I do this multiple times until pushing the slide button does nothing. When both motors CLICK that's when everything is in sync and the green light flashes.

There are tons pf places that sell custom RV mattresses. Your Murphy bed is 60 by 75. Mattress Insider is a well known one: https://www.mattressinsider.com. Plus they sell sheets and linens for RV mattresses, too.

Search Amazon for "Convention Microwave cookware" and you'll find lots of options. Here'a a link for a tiered rack:

https://www.amazon.com/Baking-Sharp-.../dp/B00DV211Z2

The more you use your lovely RV the more you'll love it. So, keep going and solve the little problems one at a time.
Unfortunately, my Murphy bed has a different dimension. I don’t know if they are doing things differently with the 2022 View, but while the overall mattress seems to be a short queen, it’s cut into two pieces. There is a separate piece at the top of the mattress that is about the width of the pillow, and it drops down when the bed closes. The main part of the mattress looks like a square. Kind of hard to explain, but I have the sinking feeling that we are going to have to get a custom mattress, and I’m not sure what to do about the top piece if we want a thicker mattress.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:20 PM   #11
Site Team

Well, yes, most RV mattresses are kind of custom. That link I gave you to Mattress Insider (and there are other's too) they'll not give you something all that stock. They'll get your dimensions and go from there.

With our previous Class C we found a local mattress company to make a custom mattress for us. It cost about $400 but we decided exactly what we wanted construction-wise and they made it to size. It was perfect.

You've got options in Flint and Detroit:

Farmington Hills: Michigan Discount Mattress

Flint: Peerless Mattress Co.

Tags
newbie, view