Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Smile Newbie Here!

Hello all, my wife and I just bout our first Motorhome! We purchaed a 1996 Winnebago Brave, the model is a "29RQ", which is 29' 7,5" in length. It seems to have every option available, and everything works great. It has the Chevy 454, TBI fuel injection.

We got what I feel is a great deal on it, and it has 58,000 miles, and lot of maintenance records. I feel it was a good purchase for us. We have little ones so we are looking forward to camping ASAP! I have been a boat owner for many years everything from Cruisers to bow riders, so I feel some of the systems are relatively the same, and I am a DIY'er.

I did notice that the things seems to really require a lot of constant correction at the wheel while driving, (back and forth), even in just light wind. Does that just come with the territory?? I read that you need to check the air pressure in the front coil spring air bags, which I've not yet done. Any other suggestions on front suspenstion items or any other items to look at being a newbie to this thing??

Thanks,
Robert
just relax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Robert;

Congratulations on the purchase of your first motor home. I believe Winnebago makes great motor homes. I can't help answer any questions about your Brave but I will make a couple basic suggestions.

Have your MH weighed loaded for travel. Weigh the front and rear axles separately. Than refer to your tire chart and set tire pressures correctly for each Axel. You are correct about checking pressure in the front air bags and recheck later to make sure there are no leaks. If I remember correctly I kept the air pressure at 50#s on a previous P32 chassis.

If after you make these adjustments and you are not satisfied there are after market products you can purchase to improve your handling.

Just a word of caution. The camping life style is addictive and it will likely grow on you. Get that Brave out on the road and enjoy.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Congrats on your motorhome, wishing you many happy journeys.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Hi Robert;
I have a Sightseer 33L on a P32 chassis. Had the same problem on mine and had to start checking things in order. I spent many years on front end alignment and suspension so I check things as a system.
1- Air pressure is the most comon problem so weight your MH and adjust the tire pressures.
2- adust ride hieght with the air bags on your coil suspension. When adjusting the air in the bags, lift some of the weight off the wheels a bit.
3- check your alignment at a truck shop. I have mine set at my own specs.
camber and caster at factory specs
( can add about 1/2 to 1 degree of caster for steering return.)
4-I have the toe-in specs at 7/32 toe-in. To explain, IMHO the suspension on these motorhomes is rubber mounted and allows some movement in the A-arms and as the speed increases, the pressure put on thes arms also increases causing the arm to push slightly towards the rear taking away some of the toe-in we adjusted in. I have had my MH for three years and 25000km. When I puchased it, the previous owner had put one set of new front tires on it and it neede another set. I also could not keep it straight until I did the toe-in at 7/32. Now I have no tire wear, can keep it on the road with no problems and love driving it, even in the mountains I drive with one hand. IMO
beach whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Howdy and welcome to the forum. Glad you joined us and hope you enjoy the site. Congrats on the new to you purchase and I'm sure you'll get plenty of help from people on the forum if you run into any problems. Enjoy all your travels, be safe and Happy Motoring!!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by just relax View Post
I did notice that the things seems to really require a lot of constant correction at the wheel while driving, (back and forth), even in just light wind. Does that just come with the territory?? ...
There may well be things in the suspension or tires that should be tweaked, but this is a common problem that many folks new to a large vehicle experience. Try focusing further down the road when driving and you may find that cuts down significantly on the amount of steering (over) correction you need to do.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Welcome ! congratulation's on your purchase, Enjoy!
Herb and Mar

2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38T
herbertgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Robert, welcome and congrats on the RV. For the steering wander, you might want to check into a steersafe. Put one on ours and made a big difference in handling.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2011 Winnie and I immediately installed a TruCenter. Huge difference .
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

The trucenter device looks interesting, what is the going rate on one??
Old 02-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Welcome aboard and many years of safe RVing to you and your family.
jabfado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

The bushings in the bell cranks are notorious for wearing so check them out. As a Winnie owner you might consider joining the Winnebago Itasca Travelers, WIT, a travel club affiliated with factory. Look elsewhere on this forum for joining details.

Don, WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

I also have read several posts about others moving from the factory tires on these (8R 19.5) to 225 70 19.5. Although I've seen some mixed reviews on the results...Any input on that?
Old 03-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Happy trails and many safe miles. Enjoy! Do not drive faster then your guardian angel can fly!!
Ron linda & sammy the furry critter. 07 h.r. Endeavor.
cordwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

"Hello and Welcome"

:welcome:

Quote:
Originally Posted by just relax View Post

I did notice that the things seems to really require a lot of constant correction at the wheel while driving, (back and forth), even in just light wind. Does that just come with the territory??
Thanks,
Robert
I had noticed the same thing. Constant need to turn the wheel steedily, left and right, none stop, while driving, just to keep the thing in a straight line. When I asked about it, if this was normal, I got a bunch of answers back telling me that "that's the way a MH handles" and not to worry about it. I got used to it after a while, but it was just plain freaky at first, because I've never had to do that with a car.
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags