Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2022, 04:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Newbie, HELP ME!!!

Hello all,
I recently got a 1977 itasca Winnie and it won't Start.
The previous owner (of course) swore up and down there was nothing wrong with it, that it only had 30k miles on it...but that's not the case.
It's leaking tyranny fluid which seems to be an easy fix where it's coming from (just replace the tube) I replaced all three batteries and now the alternator is holding a charge.
I got the part to replace the fuel filter, I'll start there...
I need help trouble shooting this thing. Idk what I'm doing, and this is where I sleep at night!
Wilsongirl94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I suggest starting with the things that will likely cause you trouble and cost you money as they can sometimes be avoided!
Batteries are abig problem on Rv for a couple reasons. One is the way we use and RV compared to what we do with a car. We don't start them and run them long enough to keep the chassis or starting battery charged up! It also doesn't get charged when we are plugged into power like the coach batteries do-----unless we make sure there is something to do that.
Second battery problem is that there are often switches that we think turn off/disconnect the batteries.Trouble being that the switches still leave thing connected that WILL run a battery down if given some time.

Safety equipment like CO and propane detectors are left on the coach batteries. On the start battery, there are often drains like radio presets,igntion or othe small items that can drain that one.

So one way to start out is to try to make sure you don't let the power sneak out of the batteries as that is one sure way to damage or totally ruin even a new battery!

Former owners may not have been up on those points and thought there was not
a problem but it sneaks up on the unaware folks!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:59 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

When you say it won't start, does the engine crank over, just click or nothing at all? Does the dashboard radio and headlights work? The last time you drove it, was it running smooth or missing? What chassis/engine does it have?
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags