Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2021, 05:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Newbie from Texas - 2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD

Picking up my new to me 2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD next week. Trading up from my current rig, 2008 Fleetwood Terra 33L. Looking forward to learning the ins/outs of my new coach and exploring the forums for advice.
MotoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:02 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Some great areas to bookmark for possible use?
Parts catalog-- not so much for ordering parts but it does show what in there and can be a clue as to how to take it apart:

https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Plumbing:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...m/Plumbing.htm

Wiring:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, Richard!
Old 06-13-2021, 09:34 PM   #4

Nice: Trading up by buying an older Winnebago. So true. ...Although maybe that Fleetwood "Terra" is a gas rig which is like comparing apples to oranges.

I'm a total believer in Winnebago DPs built from 2004-2009. The only thing I don't like are their lightweight roofs. But as long as re-glue your roof seals and inspect them every 1-2 years you will be fine.

I also just hid a 8,000 BTU Portable AC in my Horizon living area cabinet and think this is a homerun addition to your basement AC, especially in Texas heat. Not to mention other places where the humidity is more of a concern.

For more information I also suggest you take a trip to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) MX and let the RV service professionals there treat you to an "RV DAY SPA" while you sip margarita on the beach at the neighbor restaurant; and later get a massage outside your RV at The Reef RV Park.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...-358003-2.html

and...

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ad-360836.html

MotoMatt: What engine and injection system do you have? I think it will either be a HPFR or a HPCR (aka CAPS2). The answer my lie in the time your RV came off the line in early or late 2006. IDK. You can call Cummins at 800-CUMMINS with your engine serial number and they can tell you.

Also, how many miles are on your new ride?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12c Finishec Point - 2004 Horizon 40AD Credenza.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	179577   Click image for larger version

Name:	14 Painted Vent.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	179578  

Name:	13 Finished.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	179580   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200909_143502.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	179581  

Name:	Adding Flex Glue  Clear To Roof Channel.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	179582  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
Nice: Trading up by buying an older Winnebago. So true. ...Although maybe that Fleetwood "Terra" is a gas rig which is like comparing apples to oranges.

I'm a total believer in Winnebago DPs built from 2004-2009. The only thing I don't like are their lightweight roofs. But as long as re-glue your roof seals and inspect them every 1-2 years you will be fine.

I also just hid a 8,000 BTU Portable AC in my Horizon living area cabinet and think this is a homerun addition to your basement AC, especially in Texas heat. Not to mention other places where the humidity is more of a concern.

For more information I also suggest you take a trip to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) MX and let the RV service professionals there treat you to an "RV DAY SPA" while you sip margarita on the beach at the neighbor restaurant; and later get a massage outside your RV at The Reef RV Park.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...-358003-2.html

and...

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ad-360836.html

MotoMatt: What engine and injection system do you have? I think it will either be a HPFR or a HPCR (aka CAPS2). The answer my lie in the time your RV came off the line in early or late 2006. IDK. You can call Cummins at 800-CUMMINS with your engine serial number and they can tell you.

Also, how many miles are on your new ride?
Thanks for the information and pictures. I'm guessing the guys at Puerto Penasco did the installation on that A/C unit? The vent installation looks like it came from the factory in the picture. Nice work!

Yes, the Terra is a V10 Gasser. It has been a great coach, but I always knew I'd end up in a DP at some point. Just window shopped for a long time. As I get closer to spending more and more time in a/the coach I knew it was time to upgrade. Opposing slides was a must, along with all the other amenities, and the ride and power of a diesel. I was definitely targeting the 2004-2009 range. I will have to check the engine serial number when I pick it up to know for sure. Of course its the 400HP 8.9L Cummins, which you already knew. it has a shade under 40k on the clock.

I'm sure once I put some miles on her and get her home I will have some more questions for you.

Thanks again!
Matt
Old 06-14-2021, 06:49 PM   #6

MotoMatt: I now see you got the 4-slideout Horizon. What a coach. You will love it.

Are there just 2 of you who will be using your RV? I ask, because now I see your "FD" floorplan did not come with the same credenza and table as my Horizon 40AD. And I have to say I really like this credenza for all it's storage areas and counter top space. It really is a plus and I think the only reason Winnebago gave it up is due to cost reductions and/or weight.

If you have 4 people sitting at the dining table, then I would think your floor plan is better. However, with the Texas heat, IMO, you really will like having more AC power and storage space.

So I wonder, could you find a credenza and table at Visone's RV Salvage in Kentucky where they have a few Horizon's and Vectra coaches, and would it be a simple upgrade?

Nuf said. Your RV is perhaps the most desirable RV on the road today and I'm sure it will give much pleasure.

The only other tips I would give you which may not be on your radar are these:

* Verify your engine uses Pink OAT coolant

* If you have the HPCR system, you might look into getting a FASS electric fuel pump. Note: I do not know if you need a FASS or AirDog for a HPCR injection system, but I would say there is a high probably you would benefit from one.

* The alternator will go out around 80,000 miles and if you have a plastic radiator overflow tank you can extend it's life by painting on some clear epoxy all the way around the seams of the tank.

* Change your coolant filter if you have one. (Everyone forgets this.)

* Head for The Reef at Rocky Point and let them take care of all your needs. just bring all your parts with you. ...And take your tow car with you too. You will want it to travel into town.

No doubt you also have stayed on the beach at Port Aransas, TX but if you have not then I highly recommend give it a try. Just be sure your park your RV above the high tide water line + another 10-20 feet. You don't want to get stuck in the sand, but if you do, this is why you should carry some of the plastic lift pads... to shove under the driver's side drive tire.

Have fun!
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I am a solo traveler at the moment. Me and the dogs (2 Jack Russells).

I looked a lot at the AD floor plan that you have with the credenza for the reasons that you mentioned. However, I really liked the additional space created by the absence of the credenza, and the 3 floor to ceiling windows made the living room area seem so much bigger and brighter. Those same windows won't be my best friend in extreme temps, but I do plan to chase milder weather patterns whenever possible. Like you said, I may decide down the road that having an office/storage/dining option is preferable and seek out a solution like you've mentioned.

I've negotiated new tires, engine, and generator service. Also one of the ceiling panels was beginning the dreaded foam disintegration, so the dealer has agreed to fix it. We'll see, I know once it starts, it seems the best course of action is to strip it down to bare wood and start again. I can't know how many panels may be close to failure, maybe none or few?? I negotiated the price considering the possibility of replacing them all in the next couple of years.

I'm scheduled to do the PDI and close the deal on Friday morning, so I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks for the great info, I will definitely add your suggestions to my "must do's" soon after I take possession.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

A few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9E375315-E7F9-459D-9857-147FA86B780F_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	179616   Click image for larger version

Name:	9B55ABC1-2467-4CB2-9B02-2DC606EEF36D.jpg
Views:	56