Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Newb and Waaaay Ignorant

So, just bought a new Winnebago Sightseer 30A. I live in Southwest Colorado, where it gets very cold (as in very cold TOMORROW). I need to get this rig winterized ASAP. The owners manual lists two methods: draining the water system and blowing out the lines OR adding potable anti-freeze to the system. The anti-freeze process seems quicker and easier. Any feed back on which process is better (if either) would be greatly appreciated. Also, any other hints regarding winterization/long term storage would be helpful. Thanks in advance, everyone!

Happy cruising!
mtnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I just winterized mine for the first time (we full timed for 11 years and snow birded for one year).
I drained the fresh water tank.
I moved the diverter valve on the back of the water heater to the bypass position, drained and flushed it with a flushing tool I got at an RV store.
I took the cap off the clear hose in the water pump compartment and put the end in a gallon of RV antifreeze. I turned the diverter valve so the pump would suck antifreeze from the jug.
Turned the pump on and opened the cold water faucet farthest from the pump, when I saw the red antifreeze coming out then I closed it and switched to the hot water faucet. Did that for all faucets including the outside shower.
I dumped antifreeze in all the traps making sure quite a bit got into the gray tank. Then dumped some in the black tank via the toilet. Left a lot in the bowl and covered the bowl with cling wrap so it wouldn't evaporate.

Took four gallons to do the job. Hope I didn't forget anything.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Actually, you should do both in my opinion. I take the easy/safe route. I take it in to the dealer to have it winterized. Cost $80 to winterize/de-winterize the system and if there is an issue with the system in the spring the repair is their responsibilty. And welcome to the site.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Walmart has a very good and in expensive RV anti-freeze for about 5 bucks a gallon and I just switch the bypass on the water-heater, Drain the tank from the outside (I think it's a 1" nut... I use an extended ratchet socket to get at it. I let it drain, get some plumbers tape put the nut back in. There should be a tube in the RV that you just stick in the gallon of Anti freeze, turn a valve (under our bathroom sink for the hose and valve) turn on the water pump .. go to each outlet and run the faucet until you get pink... get them all done, take the left over and pour it in the sink traps.... your done... it's about 1/2 hour job once you do it a couple of times.
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Here is some info of the favorite topic for this time of the year.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Don't forget the shower drain trap, the outside shower valve or the icemaker.
LEHAFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Greg,
See my post about winterizing a page or two down this forum.
I did a writeup on how-to with pictures that may be helpful. Granted, it's for out Winnebago trailer, but many of the systems should be similar.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My Winnebago Owners books have a very good step by step instructions for winterizing the system. You might want to look over yours to get an idea on how to proceed.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Basically I do both (blow out hoses and then pump in antifreeze). The latter is important for all the nooks an crannies in both your fresh water system and the drain elbows. Blowing out cannot get out all of the water and it will collect. Also, it doesn't touch the drains at all. You can bypass the Hot Water heater to avoid putting in a bunch of antifreeze.

Leave antifreeze in your sinks and toilet and showers to keep the rubber seals moist

If you have an ice maker, be sure to find the water hose for that too and drain it. Also don't forget that outside shower in the water bay if you have one. Push some antifreeze through it too.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

If you just bought it, wasn't it already winterized?
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I also do both-blow out and antifreeze. I blow out the system with the water heater bypass open after I drain the water heater tank with the faucets closed at first as I wasn't sure the line from the valve to the tank drained and I wanted that blown out since antifreeze won't get to it. I then close the bypass and blow out the internal lines by opening all faucets-hot and cold-including external shower and toilet. I also turn city fill on for a sec to blow out that feed. Then open the winterizing valve and insert tube in antifreeze and turn on pump with faucets open one at a time from the farthest to the nearest until pink stuff comes out. Add antifreeze to all traps and toilet and done. 1/2 hour sounds about right and I used under two gallons of antifreeze. Don't forget to put plug back in hot water heater-don't want critters in there. Of course water and holding tanks were drained also.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Forgot to add-I use a small 3 gallon compressor with pressure set at about 25 PSI-don't want to blow out any lines. I have a larger compressor but keep the small one on the coach to air up tires, etc. and blow out the lines on the way back from the dessert to Idaho cold. Have to let is recycle some but still convenient.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHAFER View Post
Don't forget the shower drain trap

Oh man....am I lucky!
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Leave the drain plug out of the water heater.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the wisdom. I got it winterized and put away for the winter. Started snowing in SW CO today.

BTW any other Sightseer 30A or Sunova 30A owners?
mtnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Supposed to snow here in Grand Junction/Palisade today also. After 12 years of full timing and going from warm places to warm places, this winter is going to be an experience.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Welcome to the forum....Glad you got it winterized..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:23 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Hey all! I live in Central Texas. We got our Class A a month ago. (total noob. going to start reading a lot!)

It only gets down to 32 (usually no colder than the mid twenties) for 2-4 days at a time, and it does that once or twice per winter. I hate the pink antifreeze! My Winnebago Elante is parked in our stick house driveway plugged in. Can I simply put a couple space heaters inside and open the cabinets/covers, and lift the bed frame (where the fresh tank is), and would that be enough? we have a bit of liquid in our gray and black tanks but not a lot. Do I need to worry about those two tanks or anything on the exterior? Money is tight and the less I have to spend on tools or extra gadgets the better. (I know I'm really stupid to get a motorhome since this is the case.)

I am going to start another thread on my water heater questions so please chime in there too.
Janelle12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:43 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Welcome to the forum!

Janell, If all of your tanks are about half full and you don't experience a deep freeze they should be fine.

I personally would just blow out the lines if really cold weather is expected.

Soon you'll get some advice from someone that doesn't have Newbie in his username.....doh!
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote