Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2021, 02:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New Winnebago Adventurer 29B - anything I should know?

Hi all - it is great to be a new member of the community!

My wife and I are picking up our new 2021 Winnebago Adventurer 29B in a couple of weeks from a dealer close to us just north of Seattle. We are long time RVers - have owned 3 travel trailers and just traded in our 2014 Forest River Solera 24R (Mercedes chassis) for something bigger. We are planning some adventures as we have reached that age where our children are just about all out of the house.

Anything we should know about the Adventurer models? The 29B? The new Ford F53 chassis with the V8? Cool festivals in the PNW that we should take the rig to?

Looking forward to interacting and learning from you all!
ZimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have nothing specific to that model but what I like about the Winnebago is the amount of info they do post online as it both lets me fix things that I find needed and also lets me FIND those pieces! Not sure how others feel but I like knowing where the basics are located (as well as whether I should have them!) but finding the info can be tricky when we don't know where to look for it!
So a short course in the lay of the Winn. info?
Amazing amount of info if you probe all the different tabs:
https://www.winnebago.com/owners/own...s-and-diagrams

One of my favs and not to be ignored, just because it is called a "parts catalog" is here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
It lets you pick your specific Rv and then what part you want to look at for name location or even if you should have one! Lots of time can be spent just learning the controls for the drawings but you can do all kinds of looking, turning the RV around over and zooming and also have a list of the correct names at the side.

If you want to know how the drain gets from the shower to the tank, you can look at it from almost any angle. That means a lot less work than crawling around and trying to guess whether you might hit a pipe if you drill a hole?

Want to know what's behind the water filter? You can turn it around and look without even leaving the chair!

You might be amazed at what you can find out about the RV, just setting at the computer on some cold winter night, when nothing better to do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	advent29b.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	177602   Click image for larger version

Name:	filter.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	177603  

Name:	filter2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	177604  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Wow - that's an amazing amount of information, telemetry, data, schematics, etc. Incredibly helpful - thank you, Morich!
Old 03-03-2021, 07:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimBob View Post
Wow - that's an amazing amount of information, telemetry, data, schematics, etc. Incredibly helpful - thank you, Morich!
Glad you like it. I'm afraid a lot of folks pass up looking at the parts catalog because they don't need the parts yet!

For a couple clues to get folks who look in started on using the great things it can do. Notice how the front and back of the filter wound up tilted a bit? I'm still not a good driver and sometimes get so tipped over, I just back off and start over by clicking some other view like the top, etc.

Those symbols at the lower right let you pick the view at start. Front, back, left, right, etc.

Once you have a space like the filter picked and want to get in close for a better look, try this before scrolling closer. Down in the LEFT bottom there are three symbols and the first + can be clicked to get it highlighted/ chosen and then you can pick a spot on the drawing to keep centered as you move left/right, up/down and scroll in/out to zoom. Kind of gives you the ability to turn the RV every possible way to get a look behind or under things that might block the view.

Click a part on the drawing and it pops up on the list at right---so you can find the "real name" for that gizmo!

Or if you already know the real name but don't know where they hid it on the drawing, click the name and it changes to yellow on the drawing. Keep clicking the name on the list as you scroll around and the item will keep flashing yellow!

Drives me silly to think of all the playing I can do with that feature!!
Old 03-04-2021, 07:48 AM   #5
Site Team

Most of us gas Class A drivers find the driving experience to be challenging at first.

I don’t have experience with the new V8 chassis, but have read from others that the driving challenges are similar to the previous V10 version. I’m talking about the ride and handling of the coach on interstate highways, at speed (60’s mph not the speed limit), and around semi’s and in windy conditions.

A great many (most?) of us quickly install a steering stabilizer. There are a few different manufacturers of these and most of us wouldn’t drive the RV without it. They cost about $400 plus installation. They are very effective in helping you handle the RV.

Almost all of us find the ride difficult to live with. As a result there are a great many addon devices to help with this issue. These help but in my experience none have been a perfect answer. The truth is RVs are built on delivery truck chassis’s and your RV is going to ride like a delivery truck loaded with 2-dozen dishwashers.

You’ll find this stuff out fairly quickly. Just know that most ride “improvements” cost $1,000 or more PLUS installation EACH. Go slow and learn about them as you go.

As to the challenge of driving a 30+ foot long, 12.6’ tall, 8 1/2’ wide box that weighs 25,000+ lbs I’ll provide what I consider the most important two things I’ve learned:

1. Go slow. “This is not a timed event” if you take a long time to maneuver and you hold up traffic then they will just have to wait.

2. GOAL! As in... Get Out And Look. Don’t rely solely on your backup and side cameras or your mirrors.

Enjoy!
Old 03-04-2021, 08:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Great advice, Creativepart - much appreciated.

It sounds like the stock sway bars are better on the new F53 chassis are better than years past. So, step #1 will be to get a steering stabilizer. I'll take it slow from there.

And, GOAL: love that acronym. Will actively use it.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:33 PM   #7

First thoughts on 2021 Adventurer 29B

Bob/Lisa

So have you got the new rig now, if so I would interested in early thoughts as we are about 6 months behind you on the order cycle for a 29B. Thanks

Colin
Bigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigc View Post
Bob/Lisa

So have you got the new rig now, if so I would interested in early thoughts as we are about 6 months behind you on the order cycle for a 29B. Thanks

Colin
Hi Colin - I wish I had better news, but the long and the short of it is that we have not yet taken delivery and we are not sure when we will be able to receive the rig due to an ongoing recall with the new Ford F53 chassis.

There is a looooooong thread about this recall on the IRV2 forum (here). I recently posted an update there, if you're interested in the details:
I am a customer awaiting delivery of a Winnebago Adventurer that I ordered in February. My unit has been build complete since March but has been sitting undeliverable on Winnebago's lot awaiting instructions from Ford.

I'm now on a first name basis with my dealer's Winnebago factory rep, and he communicates with me frequently. Consistent with others on this thread, I learned this morning that the axle bearings need replaced on my unit. The bearings are on backorder from Ford, and they are expecting delivery by the end of June. Then the work needs done; then the delivery must get scheduled; then the vehicle must be delivered to my dealer; THEN I can purchase it from my dealer.

My wife told me when we placed our order that we would get the rig in October. I was optimistic and told her it be by June. As is so often the case in our relationship, she gets more correct by the day.

Lastly, while I share other's frustrations about the finger pointing between Ford and their manufacturers, I have been particularly frustrated by Ford. I have contacted their Motorhome Customer Service center and been told that they have nothing to do with the chassis product once they sell it to the manufacturers. I have reminded Ford that the recall is Ford's, not Winnebago's, and that they should have more pride in ownership of their products. Coupled with significant supply chain disruptions with their other vehicles (they can't build F150s and Mustangs right now) plus other concerns with the F53 chassis documented in other threads on this forum, I'm worried that I'm throwing a lot of money at a chassis that will be problematic from the day that I (finally) take delivery. I would back out of the deal and wait for things to settle and for Ford to get their bearings (see what I did there?), but then I'd be subject to the 20%+ price hikes in the RV industry. I feel stuck and frustrated.

Patience and faith are the words of the day.
I'll post an update and some pictures when (if?) we receive the unit. Safe travels until then!
Old 06-16-2021, 02:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimBob View Post
Hi Colin - I wish I had better news, but the long and the short of it is that we have not yet taken delivery and we are not sure when we will be able to receive the rig due to an ongoing recall with the new Ford F53 chassis.

There is a looooooong thread about this recall on the IRV2 forum (here). I recently posted an update there, if you're interested in the details:
I am a customer awaiting delivery of a Winnebago Adventurer that I ordered in February. My unit has been build complete since March but has been sitting undeliverable on Winnebago's lot awaiting instructions from Ford.

I'm now on a first name basis with my dealer's Winnebago factory rep, and he communicates with me frequently. Consistent with others on this thread, I learned this morning that the axle bearings need replaced on my unit. The bearings are on backorder from Ford, and they are expecting delivery by the end of June. Then the work needs done; then the delivery must get scheduled; then the vehicle must be delivered to my dealer; THEN I can purchase it from my dealer.

My wife told me when we placed our order that we would get the rig in October. I was optimistic and told her it be by June. As is so often the case in our relationship, she gets more correct by the day.

Lastly, while I share other's frustrations about the finger pointing between Ford and their manufacturers, I have been particularly frustrated by Ford. I have contacted their Motorhome Customer Service center and been told that they have nothing to do with the chassis product once they sell it to the manufacturers. I have reminded Ford that the recall is Ford's, not Winnebago's, and that they should have more pride in ownership of their products. Coupled with significant supply chain disruptions with their other vehicles (they can't build F150s and Mustangs right now) plus other concerns with the F53 chassis documented in other threads on this forum, I'm worried that I'm throwing a lot of money at a chassis that will be problematic from the day that I (finally) take delivery. I would back out of the deal and wait for things to settle and for Ford to get their bearings (see what I did there?), but then I'd be subject to the 20%+ price hikes in the RV industry. I feel stuck and frustrated.

Patience and faith are the words of the day.
I'll post an update and some pictures when (if?) we receive the unit. Safe travels until then!
Thanks for coming back so quickly. We are just firming the order and am aware of delays, no rush for us. We may wait for the demand side to drop and order next year, if that means it's a bit long, we have a yacht so thats fine. Material costs are showing very early signs of dropping so who knows and once inventory rises, that will drive deals (maybe).

The NHTSA notice Part 573, 21V-202 covers this issue you mention. It affects (Ford says) 7,876 F-53 and 8.252, F59 Chassis units. Ford were informed on 02/18/21 and after feed back reports from the field, put a STOP notice on due to wheel bearing seizure, rear axle failure or driveshaft failure.

This seems just a lubricant level issue at fords plant so your chassis in the winnebago plant should be tested and filled. Maybe once it arrives, have the dealer drop the rear axle lub, check the magnet for filings (there are often some from manufacturer anyway), have them flushed and refilled (at their cost). Does not sound much, maybe operator or pump level fill calibration. Easily solved.

If you know all this apologies, but yes would welcome some personal experience info once your shiny new unit arrives and when it does, have fun.

Take care.
Bigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:11 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I've posted some impressions of using our 2021 Adventurer 29B over the past several months and 8,000 miles that we picked up in late March (2021) here: https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3899156
Old 07-27-2021, 09:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Delivery taken and shakedown cruise completed

After working through the Ford F53 rear axle recall with Winnebago and with our local dealer, I'm happy to report that we took delivery of our new 2021 Adventurer 29B on July 14.

We were able to get it out for a shakedown cruise last weekend, driving it ~150 miles from our home, up and over Snoqualmie Pass on I-90 to the KOA in Ellensburg, WA.

Our first impressions are very similar to Hermes2, above. I'd add the following good stuff:
  • All major systems worked as expected. No identified leaks or failures. We didn't get to everything (no point running the furnace in 95 degree high desert heat), but we put the vehicle through its paces and it came out well.
  • Fit and finish in the Adventurer is quite good. We did find some minor plastic stuff that needed glued back on, particularly after getting jostled on the challenging I-90 road conditions over Snoqualmie, but they were easy fixes with some glue.
  • Delighted with the outdoor kitchen. Looking forward to putting it to use tailgating at WSU games this fall (go Cougs!).
  • The ride while fully loaded was good, or at least as good as expected. Wind push was there but manageable. I don't anticipate upgrading suspension components for now, though that may change over time when we get it out for longer trips.

And the following challenges:
  • Cargo carrying capacity on this smaller version of the Ford F53 chassis is not good. We weighed the vehicle at a local CAT scale, and we came in at 17640 lbs total on an 18000 lbs GVWR chassis. That's with 1/3 of a tank of water, 2 people, and enough stuff for a weekend trip. We knew about this going in: we wanted a rig that was no bigger than 30', and so this is the chassis that exists in the Adventurer trim level. Still - it is tight.
  • The white fabric on the seating surfaces is impossible to keep clean. If we could go back, we would re-order with the gray fabric. Regardless, the ultra-fabric surfaces are comfortable and durable, but they pick up dirty hand prints lickity split. Anyone have any suggestions about seat covers? ;-)

We like the rig and think we made a good purchase. We are looking forward to several trips to Pullman, WA, to move our daughter to WSU (she's on campus for her sophomore year after spending her freshman year at home due to COVID) and to Napa, CA, over Labor Day for the Bottlerock music festival.

And, we look forward to engaging with this community!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0550.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	180322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0588.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	740.3 KB
ID:	180323  

Old 07-27-2021, 11:03 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Congratulations Bob and Lisa.

We have the Vista model of the 29 footer. Same layout, not as "nice" interior.

Similar types of issues with ours. We have the grey interior, and it is similarly hard to keep clean. One thing I will say, the coverings do NOT like sunscreen, and it leaves stains. They can be removed, but not just with a cleaning cloth.

I have yet to weigh ours, but I think we have a few more pounds to spare than the adventurer.

Hope you all enjoy the layout!

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 03:35 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Smile joining the community with new Adventurer 29B...feedback

We just got (9/22) the 2022 Winnebago Adventurer 29B (new) this week.*

We paid 72% of the ridiculously inflated MSRP price (manufacturers took advantage of the Covid Craziness...the same RV would have stickered for FAR LESS just 2-3 years ago). We paid just < $150k with various options noted below.

Sadly, the word is that Winnebago is discontinuing the Adventurer model in the 30' length. If you want a 30' Class A Winnebago, you will need to go with the Vista/Sunstar twins. They are a cut below the Adventurer models in finish details/features.

That's a darn shame, b/c our first impressions are EXCELLENT.

We wanted one in what they call the Wedgewood exterior and the Farmhouse look inside...found one in Huntsville, Al. The only thing it lacked was the theater seats, but the jacknife couch bed is quite comfortable and adds a sleeping option for the Grandpups.

The walkaround queen in the back is nice...there is an annoying step down to accommodate that outside kitchen jazz, but you get used to it. The bed is nice and firm...wife will add a pillow top.

Oh, we still own a truly classic 1999 40' Safari DP...too big for us now (we are 70ish). The shorter Winnie is a bit easier to handle (perhaps the ESC?). We gave "the Hilton" to our daughter and her family. Will miss that 425 Cat on the road, if not the cost of diesel fuel.

We are SO IMPRESSED by the F/P layout (my wife is GREAT at studying F/P details, in homes or RV's) and sedulous attention to thoughtful details. The 10 c.f. fridge is all-electric (direct current I think) and uses little power...might even run on the 1000 w solar charged batteries alone.

Galley TV is fixed (no pivoting), but @ a good angle. Can access the main bed and bath with the slide in. Stove offers induction burner or L/P burner...the convection M/W allows for a large deep drawer (for coffee maker and toaster oven, etc.) instead of the old oven. Has 50a service b/c of dual A/C's (a must for us).

Options are finite, but we got most of them----> electronic stability control, loft bed (powered), satellite radio and TV, solar panel w/battery charger, video cameras, power cabin seats, defroster fans...we added the dish mounted on the roof

It has the now ubiquitous "tailgating kitchen" o/s...we don't tailgate at college games nowadays, so would rather not have that added weight and wasted space...we get that they are popular with many. We might remove that 2nd college fridge to save weight if we don't really use it. Our son says it will be handy for leftovers (we dine out a lot).

We are ordering a 2023 Escape Hybrid (flat towable) as our dinghy.

People report pretty good towing with the Godzilla engine...the [moderator edit] gas cost will be a choker, but what are you gonna' do?

It has the ubiquitous Ford Godzilla that ALL Class A gas models are now using. For older folks, those driver safety options that come with the new Ford V8 are a NICE PLUS.

We also considered the Entegra Vision 29S (a lower MSRP actually), but preferred various things about the Adventurer 29B.

We knew that some have fussed about quality control during the Covid Crazy period, so we did hire an RV inspector ($750) to crawl all over it. He found only minor glitches, mostly roof sealing things.

Oh, the CCC is 1,675 (so hard to find in those web reviews)...not great to be sure, but WAY BETTER than things like the MCB Sprinters.

The "how to" manuals are pretty decent, if wordy.

No initial regrets...kudos to Winnebago so far.
oracle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 04:44 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I've always found it pretty silly to spend $100,000 and then worry about gas prices.
If I'm that poor, I will go get some of the millions of jobs that are open!
Old 09-25-2022, 05:25 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

History shows that gas price increases HAVE greatly impacted the demand for RV's. A clear majority of RV owners are retirees often on fixed incomes and beyond their peak earning years, irrespective of one's ability to for out $150k+ for a nice gas Class A.

https://www.rvia.org/news-insights/g...ass-motorhomes
Old 09-26-2022, 08:43 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I teach economics at the college level...RV demand over time has long been associated with gas prices, i.e., demand is elastic. Covid Demand delayed this reaction somewhat, but it is already starting to correct. The cruise ships and Europe travel are now viable recreational alternatives again.

Tags
adventurer, vent, winnebago