Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-23-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

New View 24D

Hello,
Brenda and I have been in RV travel 20 years. Hard to believe, first 5W, then a new 2006 View for 5 years. Aspect 30C for a few years and then on to A class rigs. Now we are full circle almost and back in a View 24D. Looking forward to travel in something small and easy to get around in again. Big Dog is not too sure about the space although things are better with the big slide out.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:11 AM   #2
Living The Dream

Howdy Bill and Brenda!

We are in a similar “full circle!” .... ‘06 View, ‘12 Navion, Class A, now an ‘18 24D. Whew, dizzying

Ain’t we bad!

Warren and Debbie
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Looking at 24D

We have owned our 24G for 1.5 years and like it.
Very intruiqed with the Murphy Bed and more counter space this model offers.
Wonder about to comfort of the Sofa and weather it will hold up.
Also our current model doesn't have the Cab Over bunk which we like that it
gives us cleaner lines and more usable carrying weight.
What are your thoughts ?
Pam, GiGi, & Mark Traveling in GiGi's Dog House. 2017 Navion 24G w/ Dinette being pushed by 2017 Chevy Spark. Loss GiGi in 2017 to cancer. A part of her rides with us all the time but not the same. She really enjoyed Adventures
Bompa13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:46 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We haven't been on a trip yet which will really confirm how the sofa does but so far it is very comfortable. I had thought perhaps the Murphy would be too near the sofa but it does not seem to interfere at all.

At this time you get no option to leave off the cab-over bed. We had an Aspect 30 for a while and loved that streamlined look as well but the cab-over will offer some storage area. It is also a great place for wind buffeting which I don't like.

I have slept on the Murphy and like it. I prefer a firm surface so do not find it at all uncomfortable, slept great. Just a bit more space for the CPAP would be nice but I hold it in place with velcro strap at night. Glad to have my new smaller CPAP though.

I think the next round of 24D units will offer some options, especially aluminum wheels. The first production batch had about one option, diesel generator or LP - we wanted the diesel and got it.

The counter space is great! Amazing what WGO has done with this floorplan. When we saw it online we had to go look at one and get the touch and feel. We were ready to move back to a smaller unit and finding the 24D really made the decision easy for us.

With every new RV there are a few glitches to work out, we are getting there. Hopefully everything is ready to travel in a few weeks. When we get all packed up ready to roll I will get the rig weighed but I'm certain we will be well under weight.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Great Info

Thanks for the information.
We do have enclosed storage over the cab just not as much
as you would with the Cab Over Bunk.
What does the Label on the door frame list for the usable weight
Our unit is listed at 1274lbs.

Lastly, What kind of dog is Big Dog Mobius?
Pam, GiGi, & Mark Traveling in GiGi's Dog House. 2017 Navion 24G w/ Dinette being pushed by 2017 Chevy Spark. Loss GiGi in 2017 to cancer. A part of her rides with us all the time but not the same. She really enjoyed Adventures
Old 02-25-2018, 07:09 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

There is a big difference in the usable or OCCC. Our door sticker says 1060 lbs. Coming down in size again from a class A pusher we are taking our time and sorting things down to what is necessary and what was heavy fluff we just carried. OK, DW and I take about 300lbs of that and big dog takes another 90 lbs. Now down to 600lbs. Add half tank of water and keep the black and gray empty for travel and it gets fairly spartan. Not as many clothes, nothing extra but we did it before in the View 23H or was that a 24H in 2006. Anyway we will be under weight for travel. It does make me question adding window awnings but one for the dinette window and a see through for the windshield will be great.

Big dog is an aging German Shepherd, gray beard just like me. He will be more cramped during travel but fine when the slide is out at camp. We walk a lot as well. He has literally been all over the USA in three different RVs after his rescue from the "pound". Taken from his first owner as a young one year old after being starved and beaten. Some people think every GS should be a killer and I suppose that's what happened but Mobius is a lover! We like that and he returns the favor, great companion.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak73 View Post
There is a big difference in the usable or OCCC. Our door sticker says 1060 lbs. Coming down in size again from a class A pusher we are taking our time and sorting things down to what is necessary and what was heavy fluff we just carried. OK, DW and I take about 300lbs of that and big dog takes another 90 lbs. Now down to 600lbs. Add half tank of water and keep the black and gray empty for travel and it gets fairly spartan. Not as many clothes, nothing extra but we did it before in the View 23H or was that a 24H in 2006. Anyway we will be under weight for travel. It does make me question adding window awnings but one for the dinette window and a see through for the windshield will be great.

Big dog is an aging German Shepherd, gray beard just like me. He will be more cramped during travel but fine when the slide is out at camp. We walk a lot as well. He has literally been all over the USA in three different RVs after his rescue from the "pound". Taken from his first owner as a young one year old after being starved and beaten. Some people think every GS should be a killer and I suppose that's what happened but Mobius is a lover! We like that and he returns the favor, great companion.
Our Fur Baby was a Female Golden-doodle of about 65lbs. The space in our old 42ft DP was missed by she & I. She was kennel trained since birth and the new 24G is big enough that we could set up the kennel at night and still get outside. She always got very excited when we set it up for bed as that was her safe zone if not on a lap. She never wanted to sleep anywhere else.
We lost her to cancer last summer at 6 years.

I miss the DP and found it easy to drive. We towed a Silverado behind but must say I am getting used to the new setup. Flat towing the Spark is so easy that you don't even know it's there. My wife even won't hesitate to drive this setup which is nice for a change.
She would like to change but I am sure we would take a bath on trading this in.
Another note, We were looking at a 2016 24G but went for this unit due to the AL wheels and Truma Demand WH. I was about to upgrade to the Truma on our old Excursion and had done much research on the unit. Best on the market in my opinion.