Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-12-2021, 11:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New to the site and forums.

Hello all I am Mitch Stott I am retired from professional Drag Racing and currently operate small manufacturing business dedicated to the R/C airplane industry. I also travel quite a bit as a live broadcast personality for a nostalgia Drag Racing organization called the Southeast Gassers Association. I have owned numerous Motor homes and a couple campers over the years and have recently decided I needed have another due to my ever increasing travel needs. I recently bought a 1999 35ft cheiftain and like most it has some leaks in the roof so i am on a mission during our off season to properly repair the roof. I am not interested in just adding more sealer. Thanks for the help that I know you guys will probably provide. Mitch Stott
Flyingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 09:11 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Welcome aboard Mitch.

Sorry, I can't help with your project, but hopefully others will be able to offer assistance.

Interesting background...I can relate somewhat to your R/C airplane business, though the R/C business has changed quite a bit from the 70's and 80's when I built and flew R/C airplanes.
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 02:42 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. I don’t know much about your issue, but you may want to checkout this YouTube channel. This guy has fixed many many roofs the right way.

https://YouTube.com/c/AZExpert
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 06:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Welcome to the forum. I don’t know much about your issue, but you may want to checkout this YouTube channel. This guy has fixed many many roofs the right way.

https://YouTube.com/c/AZExpert
There's also some good information on roof sealing here:

https://chaos.goblinbox.com/rv-repai...and-roof-item/

I'm with you. Glopping on more sealant isn't the solution but judiciously removing old sealant and re-applying it makes sense. In some cases you may find it necessary to remove and completely re-bed a leaking fixture.

Winnebago publishes quite a bit of information on sealants. Although your MH is older than the info they provide, things don't change that much and the info for newer MHs reflects the more current thinking:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...am/Sealant.htm

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...am/Sealant.htm

You'll find that many default to Dicor, which is probably the most common sealant in the industry. By Dicor's own documentation, it is, however, intended for rubber roofs. Here's a video by AZ Expert on the subject:

I don't know if your '93 is of similar construction, but, in addition to leaks, pay particular attention to sealing your roof edges to avoid a total roof failure. This is covered in the above referenced sites, including AZ Expert. Here's another video on the roof edge topic:

BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Hey I'm cory new to rv's currently moved into an older minnie winnie for a while and hoping to get help with some issues the motorhome has
Buddha7612 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum