Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2020, 06:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New to the RV World with old issues.

Hello everyone, I guess I'll just start by introducing myself to all. My name is Atie I am obviously new to the RV World with some old challenges to you veterans but certainly all new to me and somewhat daunting. I am about less than two years from retiring from the Fire Department and we thought, my wife and I to buy a used RV and learn from the bottom up without making a huge investment into a new unit. So we bought a 2002 Adventure G32V on a workhorse chassis that has two slide outs with only 27K miles. The unit seemed very clean on the inside with no sign of abuse but obviously it shows its age on the outside but not too bad, there is some fading but the roof is in very condition, solid with no soft spots and has been sealed and painted rather recently, the previous owner owned it for the past 10 years and rather took care of it well.
I am very pleased with the purchase as it did not break the bank and we still have a great unit as a starter, I new from the beginning that there are some issues I need to address, ie.. Jacks springs need to be replaced, awnings in need of some TLC, windshield has a small crack, some fogging on the double pane windows... no big deal.
Anyways... I'll get to the point, my batteries are pretty much dead and that is due to the converter taking a dive on me, I had some challenges in finding it but thanks to some info on this forum i was able to find it test it and confirm its demise. I wanted to start with a new page and also take any house power issue out of the way. I took out the two NAPA 12 volt house batteries as they were only 1.5 years old added distilled water and trickle charged them to full capacity, they are presently holding 12.6v. However, I bought 4 new GC deep cycle 6v US Batteries, rated at 232 Amp/hr. the plan is to series two sets and then parallel the two to get a total of 464 Amp/hr.
Now the challenge that I am faced with, what converter should I use. Should I be considering replacing the converter with a Pure Sine Inverter Charger instead and what battery monitor should I consider as I think the standard one in the RV is very primitive. I would appreciate any and all the inputs you can provide, bearing in mind I am also entertaining the idea of adding Solar Power to the mix sometime in the future and did not want to make initially a big investment in components that later be rendered useless. Also if any one know where the heck is in the inverter located in this unit, I looked every where for it.
Thank you again for your input and expertise. And by the way I am electrically and mechanically very inclined.
Sincerely,
Atie.
amakhoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Some info from the parts catalog here:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/service/...GO/2wfg32v.pdf
Page 11 lists info on what the RV had when built??
Location shows to be on the right side under cabinets, likely. spot the sink cutout shown and the microwave plug to help locate?
I advice to be somewhat slow to replace too much equipment until knowing for sure it is bad as powering on RV can get really confusing. Powering and keeping the batteries charged is really difference when not used to them. For instance plugging in during storage may not keep the start battery charged if not aware. It has drains even when we think all is turned off.
Lots of wiring info for your RV here:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/Wiring.htm
Congrats on getting the full info needed to do a drawing look. Very helpful!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	invert.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	174240   Click image for larger version

Name:	convert&invert.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	174241  

Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:28 PM   #3
Site Team

I think Morich is right in that knowing exactly what you have helps you decide how to upgrade. Replacing an existing single stage converter/charger with a three stage unit is much easier than replacing it with an inverter/charger, for instance. Regardless, you will find a lot of great advice here. Wishing you the best in your new to you rig, and happy camping!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for advice as well Macnut, I have to agree with both, now the challenge is finding either where is the inverter located or having to replace the missing one and figuring out the wording of it. any suggestions on inverters and converters are welcomed.
Atie.
amakhoul is offline   Reply With Quote